Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Just picked up my 04 Mazda 6 Wagon a couple months ago and though, I should post it up and share my progress with it to everyone! So far all I've done to it is tint the windows, but even that makes a world of difference! Well here's the pics I took today. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice. I got mine tinted the other day as well and its crazy how much it can change the look. I dont look at the car and go "wow look at that tint" but at the same time it looks odd without it. I guess its more like it "completes" the look...

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I got mine tinted the other day as well and its crazy how much it can change the look. I dont look at the car and go "wow look at that tint" but at the same time it looks odd without it. I guess its more like it "completes" the look...
I totally agree. When the windows aren't tinted at all it just makes me feel vulnerable lol. I have some Carbon Fiber door handle covers coming in Friday. My paint is pretty faded on the handles and I need something to make it look better. Once I get my heat gun i really want to take side molding off and put new rear emblem as well. The little things first lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Removing the molding should give it a cleaner look too. I havent taken the molding off on a Mazda but I have done quite a few other vehicles and I used braded fishing line followed up with an eraser wheel. I dont know that I ever tried using the heat gun method so I'm not saying its better, just something to keep in mind if you run into issues.

·
Super Moderator
18,220 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase. Mmmmm, a 1st gen Wagon in the rare Pebble Ash - You're gonna get some friends around here for that lol.

If you ever want ideas for your 6, this is one of my favorite rides to ever grace the forum and it's Pebble Ash like yours: Drizzoh's 2005 Mazda6

Removing the door guards will probably require some Goo-Gone too for afterwards. Taking them off makes a world of difference in how sporty these cars look. Like you said, do the little things first and it slowly adds up. Take a look at people's rides (usually in their signatures) for some more ideas :)

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removing the molding should give it a cleaner look too. I havent taken the molding off on a Mazda but I have done quite a few other vehicles and I used braded fishing line followed up with an eraser wheel. I dont know that I ever tried using the heat gun method so I'm not saying its better, just something to keep in mind if you run into issues.
I have used the fishing line method myself. Everything i see says heat gun so i thought i would try it

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase. Mmmmm, a 1st gen Wagon in the rare Pebble Ash - You're gonna get some friends around here for that lol.

If you ever want ideas for your 6, this is one of my favorite rides to ever grace the forum and it's Pebble Ash like yours: Drizzoh's 2005 Mazda6

Removing the door guards will probably require some Goo-Gone too for afterwards. Taking them off makes a world of difference in how sporty these cars look. Like you said, do the little things first and it slowly adds up. Take a look at people's rides (usually in their signatures) for some more ideas :)
Hey! I have been wondering what color my wagon was for the longest time! Sometimes it looks gold, sometimes it looks silver, I've even been told it has a tint of green! lol. I've always loved it though. Makes it different. I got pretty lucky on this one with the miles as well. I just hit 80,000!

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so has anyone here replaced the radio din? Just wondering if they like it better or not. I definitely want to do it but that a little ways down my list. It's not a cheap mod

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,731 Posts
Hey! I have been wondering what color my wagon was for the longest time! Sometimes it looks gold, sometimes it looks silver, I've even been told it has a tint of green! lol. I've always loved it though. Makes it different. I got pretty lucky on this one with the miles as well. I just hit 80,000!
Check the paint code on the VIN sticker
Font Material property Rectangle Paper product Paper

It looks like Pebble Ash Metallic to me.

·
Registered
2005 6S wagon 5MT
97 Posts
Congrats! Yours looks great. I picked up an '05 last June and have been very happy with it. The tint does make a big difference - something that's been on my to-do list for a while.

I dont know that I ever tried using the heat gun method so I'm not saying its better, just something to keep in mind if you run into issues.
I remember mine being pretty easy with a hair dryer and a little goo-gone to tidy up afterward. Just heated up the end and started pulling, moving the dryer down as I worked the strips off.

·
Super Moderator
18,220 Posts
so has anyone here replaced the radio din? Just wondering if they like it better or not. I definitely want to do it but that a little ways down my list. It's not a cheap mod
Tons of us. Check my 2004 out in my sig, I had a pioneer unit installed. You're (likely) gonna want the Metra Kit - it's a replacement interface for your car that allows for a custom HU (headunit) to be installed while maintaining control of your HVAC - There are specifics to which one you need based on if you have auto climate control or not, but it's been too long for me to remember.

@DrFeelGood or @GerryB do you guys remember?

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,731 Posts
Tons of us. Check my 2004 out in my sig, I had a pioneer unit installed. You're (likely) gonna want the Metra Kit - it's a replacement interface for your car that allows for a custom HU (headunit) to be installed while maintaining control of your HVAC - There are specifics to which one you need based on if you have auto climate control or not, but it's been too long for me to remember.

Yes @Byakuya you are correct. The differences are single or double din, auto or manual climate controls.

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yours definitely looks like exactly one that I would need. Unless I went with a screen deck then I believe I would need the double din? I haven't looked a ton yet but do you have a place where I can find the Metra kit?

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,731 Posts
Yours definitely looks like exactly one that I would need. Unless I went with a screen deck then I believe I would need the double din? I haven't looked a ton yet but do you have a place where I can find the Metra kit?
Ebay, Amazon, Metra will all sell you one. You can choose silver (2003-2005) or black (2006-2008) if you want to upgrade you console as well.

·
Super Moderator
18,220 Posts
You've got multiple options there - You can get a double-din or you could get a single-din HU with a pop-out screen. Personally, I stay away from those because there's too many mechanical things that can break or be accidentally damaged.

Like the good Dr said, google around a bit and you'll find them.
SonicElectronics
Best Buy

@DrFeelGood do you remember the intricacies of auto HVAC/Etc with the Metra kits though? I thought only specific ones worked with specific HVAC but I don't remember the.....specifics :)

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ebay, Amazon, Metra will all sell you one. You can choose silver (2003-2005) or black (2006-2008) if you want to upgrade you console as well.
when looking at them, the buttons are in a different place. Like the hazards are on the side and not the top. is that going to matter? Or are they still just plug and play.?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to throw out another option you could get a single din with a color LCD. They lack some features that maybe important to you though, touch screen probably being the biggest.

Last year I was looking for fairly basic radio to put in my old truck which is din and a half. When using bluetooth I wanted to be able to see artists, tracks and song titles but didnt want to mess with the pop out screens for various reasons. I could have gone double din but I didnt want to modify the interior for it to fit.

My solution was JVC - KD-X560BT. The screen is small and not a touch screen, but it met my needs and it was easy on the wallet too.

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to throw out another option you could get a single din with a color LCD. They lack some features that maybe important to you though, touch screen probably being the biggest.

Last year I was looking for fairly basic radio to put in my old truck which is din and a half. When using bluetooth I wanted to be able to see artists, tracks and song titles but didnt want to mess with the pop out screens for various reasons. I could have gone double din but I didnt want to modify the interior for it to fit.

My solution was JVC - KD-X560BT. The screen is small and not a touch screen, but it met my needs and it was easy on the wallet too.
yea, im not stuck on a touch screen. I have a deck already that i took and kept out of my old car , so ill just keep using that one. I'm just worried about the buttons matching up. Like the Hazards

·
Registered
Mazda 6 Wagon V6
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
weeeeeeeeelllllllllll, I took my emblems off this weekend and had a lot of chipped paint behind them. I was super disappointed! No way of me putting the evil M on without it showing pretty bad. I did however paint the emblems black and put my CF door handle covers on. I still like it better then before. The handles look really good in my opinion! ( yes, they are fake CF. lol)
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Window
Automotive parking light Car Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts