Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Mazda6s about a week ago and since the dealer couldn't locate one with the equipment I wanted, they ordered one from Mazda. They said it will take about 8 weeks to build - is that about right? Seems awful long. Needless to say, I can hardly wait...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: New to the board... delivery time question

Actually I was told by the dealers here (Florida) it's not possible for the dealership to tell the factory what to build. Instead, all they can do is check the inventories of other dealerships, and try to trade to get the car you 'ordered'. Now this may have been a lie told to me by the dealership to get me to buy immediately, so I'm not sure.
The dealer told me however, that all he could do is look for me, but it could take up to 12wks. I wanted a silver one fully loaded including the Bose...I ended up settling for no Bose because I didn't want to wait 12 weeks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'New to the board... delivery time question'

My car is also silver and fully loaded... my dealer told me they found one without the Bose package but to get the one I wanted, they'd have to order it. So I decided to wait. They actually told me they'd be ordering another one for someone else the same day, so I think your dealer was lying to you about not being able to custome order one.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Welcome aboard!

The fact is, no special orders from the factory. The dealer has to either find one somewhere else or wait for the desired configuration to be available from Flat Rock.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks... no custom orders, huh? Perhaps a call to the dealer is in order, then. I'd hate having to wait even longer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

I've actually already been screwed by this. I custon ordered...or so i thought the car that i wanted...and it seemed like all was going well. This was back in november, like november 2nd. Well, come December 27th i went in for a test drive and the such, and to figure out the status of my car. The dealership screwed me and said, they never put the order in for the car. Did you put a 500 dollar deposit in on the car? If you did, pretty much when the deposit gets cashed is when the order goes through, and if it hasn't been cashed, then no order has been placed. I eneded up getting a great deal (or so i think) on a more loaded car...from a different dealer of course. Anyone in the DC metro area, avoid Rosenthal Nissan/Mazda in Tysons. They are terrible, and the sales manager is an absolute ASSHOLE...pardon the language. Not only did they say the car can't be made, but then they were trying to sell me another at MSRP if not more...screw them! I walked out! Don't count on the dealers word at all. The best thing to do is check out the inventories online to see what configurations are available, and go from there, because then you at least know the type of car you want is being built.
-Yasir

·
Registered
286 Posts

Originally posted by imammy

I've actually already been screwed by this.  I custon ordered...or so i thought the car that i wanted...and it seemed like all was going well.  This was back in november, like november 2nd.  Well, come December 27th i went in for a test drive and the such, and to figure out the status of my car.  The dealership screwed me and said, they never put the order in for the car.  Did you put a 500 dollar deposit in on the car?  If you did, pretty much when the deposit gets cashed is when the order goes through, and if it hasn't been cashed, then no order has been placed.  I eneded up getting a great deal (or so i think) on a more loaded car...from a different dealer of course.  Anyone in the DC metro area, avoid Rosenthal Nissan/Mazda in Tysons.  They are terrible, and the sales manager is an absolute ASSHOLE...pardon the language.  Not only did they say the car can't be made, but then they were trying to sell me another at MSRP if not more...screw them!  I walked out!   Don't count on the dealers word at all.  The best thing to do is check out the inventories online to see what configurations are available, and go from there, because then you at least know the type of car you want is being built.
-Yasir[/b]
Damn, I'm glad I didn't fly back up to DC to get the car then!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I just called the dealer and the saleswoman told me that -surprise!- my car might be here tomorrow!!! She said that a car matching my order is headed to Charlotte on a truck and barring delays due to snow we're supposed to get tonight, it should be on the lot tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it :)

My family has done business with the dealer I am dealing with before (Montgomery Mazda in Charlotte) and they've treated us well and did what they said they were gonna do. I bought this car for about $150 over invoice, so I can't really complain thus far.

Sorry to all those that have had bad dealer experiences... to that effect, let me state emphatically that no matter what you do, STAY AWAY from Harrelson dealerships in the Charlotte area (they sell Ford, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota). Damn crooks.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Actually.. after talking to a dealer, they said that special orders WERE possible. I was told if I ordered one it would take 90 days to get in, however, the dealer would have rather sold me the car on the lot rather than order one.. so he gave a nice deal.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

I'm not sure about the source of this, it might have actually been the asshole dealers....but i recall hearing that mazda co pretty much waits until the demand for a certain configuration hits a certain threshhold and then they begin making the car. Not sure if there's any truth to that, but it kinda makes sense. Either way, congrats when you do actaully get the car! Don't forget to take pictures! I should hopefully have my car next week. Anyone know how long after delivery it takes to install a cassette deck, or something else to that effect? In retrospect, i'm kinda happy i got screwed from the first dealer, cause the guys i'm dealing with now, Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington, are really nice, fair dealers. All that, and now i'm getting heated seats....oh so nice!
-Yasir

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Actually, guys, I think you are underestimating Mazda here. All orders in any car industry is fed into the production planning system. Cars in, parts lists out...

The thing is that the exact moment when a specific car is being built would not necessarily have to do with when it was ordered (even if it's possible); but rather - as stated - on demand.

In the beginning of ANY car's lifespan, the production is planned towards anticipation and experience as to people's taste and preferences.

Eight weeks sounds like a probable time span to wait.

When I ordered my car, my dealer had a list of all cars pre-ordered by Mazda Sweden, and delivery date depended on what equipment I chose. I could have had my car two months earlier, had I picked a Sedan with a certain color. But I wanted a hatch, thus the extra wait...

Anyway: it's worth the wait, despite it almost kills you... :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I do kind of wish I could have waited and gotten the Bose package, as it was, I had to wait almost 3wks for the v6 Silver one, but what I had to take into consideration was that the mileage on my trade-in was adding up. Not to mention I placed the order on December 18th.....according to the dealer, if I didn't lock in the deal before the 1st, I was going to lose a substantial amount off my trade-in. I really didnt' know if that was BS or not, but the fact is, I am aware of how badly high miles looks on a trade-in, and I wasn't sure how much actual depreciation would occur at the turn of the year. I put about 600 miles a week on any vehicle I own due to the daily commute and leisure activities, I didn't feel like risking it.
My advice to anyone buying a car is to possibly take these factors into consideration as well...waiting is nice if you have a price guarantee on your trade-in and the inbound vehicle's selling price in writing. But if you were like me, and put a lot of miles per wk on your car, plus the dealer won't guarantee anything in writing....you will have to weigh how much that single option you really want will end up costing you. Also, I already know I will not keep the car long-term, I will trade it for the '04 model as soon as it's on the dealer's lot, so I didn't have the vision that this was the car for the next 10yrs for me...like some people do. I love my 6 to death, but the reality is, Mazda simply depreciates too quickly for comfort....not to mention the first model yr of any car uses it's human's as guinea pigs to iron out all the bugs.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Your dealer was telling the truth (go figure...). At the turn of the year, your car suddenly becomes one whole year older, and hence it looses some substantial value.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Doesn't the same thing happen to humans Steve 6er :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

UPDATE... just got a call from the dealership and my car has indeed arrived!!! Unfortunately, it won't be ready for delivery until Monday or Tuesday but that's still way better than waiting till March :D

Oh the agony of the next few days... question now is what to do with my current car ('99 Mustang GT)? I got offered next to nothing as a trade-in and it's a sh!tty market for used sport coupes right now... maybe I'll end up keeping it to satisfy the occasional RWD V8 craving :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

It's pretty sad, American cars have the lowest resale value in America than any other car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts