Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this site, im looking to buy this mazda 6s but was wondering if i could get a few opions. Its a 2004 with 112k miles in good shape but the exahst is bent, no biggie but the check engine light is on. I went to auto zone while test driving it and ran the codes. Came up as warm up catalist. This a usual thing? I told them id like the check engine light taken car of and in contract that it will be fixed. Now the pricing. I got the guy down to 6,200 and warenty to 1700 for 2 yr bumper to bumper. Still nagotiating and hopefully get down to about 6500-7000 today. It has a v6 and loaded, heated seats, leather, all automatic and automatic tranny. What do you guys think? Hope to hear from you all soon. and thank you in advance.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalyticconverter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.
Symptoms

You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms. The code may be more likely to occur after the engine has had numerous cold starts in the past 1-2 days.
Causes

A code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
  • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • A sparkplug is fouled up
Possible Solutions

Measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 1 (the rear sensor, or the sensor after the converter). In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2sensor while you're at it.

WARNING: Pre-cats on V6's are an item of controversary. If they clog up your engine could get severely damaged. Mazda recommends them changed over 100,000 miles. Some people have gone 130,000 without problems but they take care of their car. Some aren't so lucky. How do you know how your car was serviced? Are you a gambler?
This is an expensive item to fix because the pre-cats are part of the exhaust manifold. Does your warranty cover this? Is it really part of the engine? Questions to ponder and get proper answers for.
They could also disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to remove the code, making the computer re-learn. You would have to put a stipulation of at least 30 days of no same code coming up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, hate starting new treads.

1) Should I buy next month new 6, or wait for the new model in 2012 (considering that it indeed will be in 2012)?

2) Could any of these be installed in 6, and are they best buy/best value for money?

Code:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/car_accessories/Mazda/6/_2008/index.html
(Actually I'm just looking for good Nav, iPhone integration and steering wheel controls. All other functions like DVD, TV, "SD" and stuff don't even have to exist).

Thank you guys in advance. :)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I've found some 2011 6i Touring + models for under $20k at a bunch of MD dealers. I would buy a 2011, there's no change in 2012 but minor trim changes.

All these rebates is probably why the 6 loses its value so quickly after purchase...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts