Mazda 6 Forums banner

New to Mazda6club

4K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  Q Gurl78 
#1 ·

Hello... I am new to Mazda6club. I'm a proud owner of a red 2006 Mazda 6. :drive: I have yet to customize my car and I am looking for ideas on where to start.

A little about me: ;)

My name is Helen, I am 28 years old. I am a soldier in the US Army, stationed at Fort Drum, NY. I have been here for almost 2 years. I am originally from San Francisco California. I was born in El Salvador half Puerto Rican.

I have yet to take pictures of my new baby, but once I do. I will have them available

Q Gurl78

#2 ·
Welcome to the club! I am sure the membership will give a number of ideas. First and foremost, do you have the 4 cyl or the V6? Secondly, are you in to looks or performance, one those questions are answered, you'll get all of the information you'll ever need.

Again, Good Luck and welcome to the club.

#3 ·
WElcome and what he said!

#4 ·
Hi:

Thanks for responding! I am totally new to this Forum stuff. So If I mess up on somethings, I apologize in advance. :D

I have the V6. I guess I am looking for both Performance and Looks. More so looks for the time being.

I am new to the world of customizing vehicles so I will begin with baby steps, work on the outside first and slowly work my way into the performance end of customizing.

- Q Gurl78

#5 ·
Well, if you are looking for performance, CPE's MAFci, it isn't the cheapest intake out their, but it is the best for the V6 that we have. You can also look at Mazdaspeed Springs, Sway bars, Sport Shifter if you have a Manual Transmission, you will see Group Buys for these items from time to time.

Also, check out The RPM store, there is a Group Buy for the Shark Fin antenna, I feel this is a must have as we have one for each of our cars. You can also look for exhaust systems, Magnaflow, Injen, Racing Beat. Once you start modding, you'l never stop!

It is all a matter of where you want to start.

#6 ·

Hello... I am new to Mazda6club. I'm a proud owner of a red 2006 Mazda 6. :drive: I have yet to customize my car and I am looking for ideas on where to start.

A little about me: ;)

My name is Helen, I am 28 years old. I am a soldier in the US Army, stationed at Fort Drum, NY. I have been here for almost 2 years. I am originally from San Francisco California. I was born in El Salvador half Puerto Rican.

I have yet to take pictures of my new baby, but once I do. I will have them available

Q Gurl78
[/b]

hey hey Helen....Hmmm......My friend's husband is stationed in Fort Drum, New York! Name is Jason......I was friends with Heather though. You wouldnt happen to know Jason or Heather would ya?....ahahhaa Ya...I know there are alot of people out there. Just curious though!...But anyways....I'm getting off the topic....

But Ya...Just a warning....Once you start modding.....Sometimes....Its kind of HARD to stop!! :drool: But Welcome!! Glad to have ya along!
[attachmentid=17355]

Take Care
Neal S.

#10 ·
Hello again,

Hmmm? I am sorry when I say I am totally new at customizing I am totally new at customizing. I am a bit embarrased to say this but I have no clue about all u just mentioned above. :blush: I guess I will be doing a lot of research. What's a Shark Fish Antenna?

I think maybe I should start with how the vehicle looks. Cause I have no clue as far as fixin up the performance. :unsure:

I have much learning to do!

Q Gurl78

#11 ·
Welcome!

Fort Drum is a pretty nice if you don't mind being a bit further from mid to large cities. I work with a pilot whose husband is an officer in the 4-31st. Definitely take advantage of the Auto Center on post... I miss them, I'm a former dependent.

As for the 6, you'll find lots of ideas on here, which may even create some new ones. Mine is as stock a 6 as you can get, but I'm thinkin Redline MT-90, MS Short Shifter, audio upgrades, HID retro, and 17" alloys (I have steel 16's) will suit me... once I have the $$$ set aside.

#12 ·
hey hey Helen....Hmmm......My friend's husband is stationed in Fort Drum, New York! Name is Jason......I was friends with Heather though. You wouldnt happen to know Jason or Heather would ya?....ahahhaa Ya...I know there are alot of people out there. Just curious though!...But anyways....I'm getting off the topic....

But Ya...Just a warning....Once you start modding.....Sometimes....Its kind of HARD to stop!! :drool: But Welcome!! Glad to have ya along!
[attachmentid=17355]

Take Care
Neal S.
[/b]
No, I am sorry I don't know a Jason or a Heather. LOL that's too vague for me. I know people from 3-10 AVN and 3-17 CAV.

Yeah i kinda figured as much about ur warning. It's kinda like tattoos, once u get 1 u can't stop. Thanks for ur warm welcome Neal. Take care.

Q Gurl78

#13 ·
Hello again,

Hmmm? I am sorry when I say I am totally new at customizing I am totally new at customizing. I am a bit embarrased to say this but I have no clue about all u just mentioned above. :blush: I guess I will be doing a lot of research. What's a Shark Fish Antenna?

I think maybe I should start with how the vehicle looks. Cause I have no clue as far as fixin up the performance. :unsure:

I have much learning to do!

Q Gurl78
[/b]
Have you seen the antennas on the BMW's? Those are Sharkfin antennas. Here is a link:Here's the link:http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=63537&hl=

They are painted to match the color of the car.

#14 ·
Welcome!

Fort Drum is a pretty nice if you don't mind being a bit further from mid to large cities. I work with a pilot whose husband is an officer in the 4-31st. Definitely take advantage of the Auto Center on post... I miss them, I'm a former dependent.

As for the 6, you'll find lots of ideas on here, which may even create some new ones. Mine is as stock a 6 as you can get, but I'm thinkin Redline MT-90, MS Short Shifter, audio upgrades, HID retro, and 17" alloys (I have steel 16's) will suit me... once I have the $$$ set aside.
[/b]
Hello:

Yeah Fort Drum is alright. I don't like the Winters though. I am attached to 3-17 CAV. What can the Auto Care Center do for me? I never been there.

Q Gurl78

#15 ·
welcome to the club from a fellow red owner :D

pm me questions and i will give you my opinion :yesnod:

different red, but here are a few pics http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=64286
[/b]
Hello Fellow Red Owner. Thanks for writing. I will definately take u up on ur offer cause I have no clue on what I am doing or where to start. Initially I want to start with the looks vs the performance. I guess performance isn't crucial right now since I am not a racer of any sort. I just want my baby to look good and sound good as well.

I peeped ur pictures. My Red is not as bright as yours though. Mine is between red and burgundy. Not as bright as red and not as dark as burgundy. I will try and take pictures of what I will call the "Q Mobile" since "Q" is my nickname. :love: Right now my car is a little dirty because of ice acumulation, snow,etc. It's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow so I am going to see about washing him and taking pics and posting them. I haven't done anything to the car as of yet. So, the pictures will be as is. My boyfriend says that before we start looking into making the car all pimp't out, he wants us to invest in a car starter.

Thanks again and looking to communicating more in the future.

Q Gurl78

Welcome to the club.

Removing the side door guards seems to be a good, simple, free visual "mod" that will make your ride look "better/different".
[/b]
Hello:

How are you doing? Hmmm removing the side door guards? Do u have a picture of what that might look like?

Q Gurl78

:wavey:
[/b]

:wavey: Right back at u.

Q Gurl78

#16 ·
Hello Fellow Red Owner. Thanks for writing. I will definately take u up on ur offer cause I have no clue on what I am doing or where to start. Initially I want to start with the looks vs the performance. I guess performance isn't crucial right now since I am not a racer of any sort. I just want my baby to look good and sound good as well.

I peeped ur pictures. My Red is not as bright as yours though. Mine is between red and burgundy. Not as bright as red and not as dark as burgundy. I will try and take pictures of what I will call the "Q Mobile" since "Q" is my nickname. :love: Right now my car is a little dirty because of ice acumulation, snow,etc. It's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow so I am going to see about washing him and taking pics and posting them. I haven't done anything to the car as of yet. So, the pictures will be as is. My boyfriend says that before we start looking into making the car all pimp't out, he wants us to invest in a car starter.

Thanks again and looking to communicating more in the future.

Q Gurl78
Hello:

How are you doing? Hmmm removing the side door guards? Do u have a picture of what that might look like?

Q Gurl78
:wavey: Right back at u.

Q Gurl78
[/b]

Check out the car domain sights of the members or the garage to see pics of the members rides.

#17 ·
Have you seen the antennas on the BMW's? Those are Sharkfin antennas. Here is a link:Here's the link:http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=63537&hl=

They are painted to match the color of the car.
[/b]
Hi!

Cool! Thanks or the link. That does look pretty hot. Yeah I've seen the BMW's with them. So how does the group buys work? U pay full price for the item and then get refunded the difference in the end once the total number of buyers is determined? I am definately interested.

Q Gurl78

#18 ·
oh ya....Here is another item for your 6! You can buy these LED Lit Door Sills on eBay for around $25.00 Colors or either RED or BLUE.....Chrome or Dual Tone :D

The lights can be wire to the individual dome light bulb. Including 4 pieces of electronic transformers. Lights up everytime when each door is open, turns off when door is shut. Made of stainless steel. In My Opinion...I believe the RED Dual Tone would look GREAT!! :drool: ...but hey....If you like Chrome,have at it! Below are some pics of these Items: The first picture is the RED Chrome, Second Pic is the BLUE Dual Tone. Just click on these pics to enlarge the photo.
[attachmentid=17360] [attachmentid=17361]
Hopes this helps
Neal S.

#19 ·
Welcome to the 6Club from a fellow lake-effect snow sufferer! :wavey:

First of all, congrats on your 6. Secondly, take some time and read as many different threads on this site, especially the pinned items. There is a TON of great information about the 6 in general, good mods to do, mods to avoid, and a lot of pics of 6's that'll hopefully give you an idea or two.

The first mod I recommend is one from my experience. Look into getting snow tires. If you've got the V6, chances are you have at least the 17" Michelin tires, which are TERRIBLE in snow. No traction at all in the powder, and the slush traction is also a nightmare! I'd recommend looking into a set of inexpensive 16" steelies or used Mazda3 or Mazda6 16" wheels, and get a set of 205-60R16 snow tires.

I purchased a set of 16" steelies and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 tires, and let me tell you, the difference is NIGHT and DAY compared to the OEMs. Traction is nothing short of phenominal in any type snow, and since they're considered "performance winter" tires, they trade in a SLIGHT amount of extreme snow traction for better dry traction, when the roads are clear. As a result, dry traction isn't "squirmy", and treadlife is great. I'm starting my third season on them (+10K miles total on them) and they look as good as the day I bought them. Whatever winter tires you purchase, you'll be better off making those your first "mod". :)

After reading, feel free to ask a question or 14 in the "newbie section" for a little bit, and we'll be more than happy to help.

#20 ·
Hey Neal!

Thanks for getting back to me. WOW that LED Lit Door Sill looks great! So would u get it for all 4 doors or just the 2 front ones? I'd have to say I think I agree with ur opinion on the Red Dual Tone. I would have to add this to my wish list and get it when I have some money available. I was also interested in getting the VG Shark Fin antenna for my car. So now I go to items on my Q Mobile wish list. :D

I peeped ur car on domain. I really like what u have done to your car. One question though? How did u paint the nobs on the steering wheel and such yellow like that? Did u get it professionally done?

Thanks for ur input I am very glad I joined this site. I can see how easily u can get ideas on how to customize ur vehicle where as before I had no clue of the possibilities.

Thanks again

Q Gurl78

#21 ·
Hello:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'd have to say I was really nervous about signing on. But everyone's been very nice and helpful.

You are in Syracuse! That's awesome that u are a local. Like I've been stating in my postings, I am new to he world of customizing and have no clue where to obtain items and where to take them to get installed or how to install them. I would like to learn though. Perhaps we can get together one day and u can show me what you've done to ur vehicle. Pictures are cool but there is nothing like seeing the vehicle up close. If u don't mind of course. U can maybe help me with some of the installs? I'd buy u dinner for the assistance. :D I have a boyfriend but I don't know if he'd know to install the bells and whistles. Where did u get your wheels n tires from? And how much am I looking to spend? I believe u are right on the snow tires though. Wasn't aware that the factory tires where so poor on snow. Guess never really looked into it. Right now we are trying to figure out how much it would cost to get a car starter? Do u know of a good one I can look into? Should I get it from the Dealer or else where?

Thanks again

Q Gurl78

#22 ·
Hey Neal!

Thanks for getting back to me. WOW that LED Lit Door Sill looks great! So would u get it for all 4 doors or just the 2 front ones? I'd have to say I think I agree with ur opinion on the Red Dual Tone. I would have to add this to my wish list and get it when I have some money available. I was also interested in getting the VG Shark Fin antenna for my car. So now I go to items on my Q Mobile wish list. :D

I peeped ur car on domain. I really like what u have done to your car. One question though? How did u paint the nobs on the steering wheel and such yellow like that? Did u get it professionally done?

Thanks for ur input I am very glad I joined this site. I can see how easily u can get ideas on how to customize ur vehicle where as before I had no clue of the possibilities.

Thanks again

Q Gurl78
[/b]
Hey hey Q! ehehhe...No problem...But you will recive ALL 4 Door Sills for around $25.00 or so.
2 Front
2 Back

ehehe but thanks for the comment on my car. Yeah, I Sort of went OVERBOARD with those decals back then eh? :slap: Guess I was Too childish! (and STILL am at times) :nana:

But as for the Cruise Control /Volume Panels go, You can just pull these off by hand. ********BE CAREFULL******** The Wires MAY be still connected to the panels itself. There should be some zip-ties around the wires though. Just get a Hobby Knife and slice away. Ohh.....and be carefull NOT to cut the wires (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY.....YOUR HAND!!) :nono: But once those are uninstalled,just head out to your local auto-part, OR WAL-MART store. For me?....I Just used KRYLON Interior paint. There is a web-site called G2 that also sells Interior paint for your car. PLEASE BUY THE PRIMER THOUGH!....VERY IMPORTANT!

But If you are still having Mixed feelings about painting the Interior...........Let someone else do it!! Then.....If THEY screw up.....YOU CAN BLAME IT ON THEM!! and not yourself! :nana:

**NOTICE** Other members on this site MAY have a better way to do this item. Just do some research and ask other members about what they suggest. Results MAY Vary!! (Just to play it safe)

#23 ·
Hey I was just about to write you. LOL I know u are wondering why I have been on here all day but I am on 24 hour duty at work.

Anyhow... that's pretty cool that u get all 4 for $25.00 the bad thing though is that I looked on Ebay and I couldn't find any Door Sills for the Mazda. :(

Hmm thanks for the tips on painting the interior. I feel a bit nervous when it comes down to uninstalling stuffs from my car and cutting things. Although I would like to do it myself if someone supervised me and told me what to do, you knkow?

LOL yes u did go overboard on the decals. lol. I want to get a decal for my rear windshield. A decal that says "Boricua Baby" since I am half Puerto Rican. :D

We all live n learn though, at least u were able to take them off and not leave a mark on ur finish.

Gosh I can't wait to get relieved tomorrow. I don't get off of duty till 0830

Well talk at cha laters, take care

Q Gurl78

#24 ·
The Auto Center is pretty awesome. A warm garage, access to all types of tools, lifts, and knowledge for working on your car. The cost when I frequented one in Grand Forks, ND was $3/hour for a stall.

I guess I don't consider snow and suffering in the same sentence, I love the white stuff... makes the cold bearable. Not to mention I grew up here. I'm east of syracuse, about 1.5-2 hours from Watertown. You should be able to find a place that installs remote car starters up there, I'm assuming you're driving an automatic right? Someone here can recommend one. I think the Auto Center should have a tech or two that can do that. Thats one thing I don't/will never have.

#25 ·
The Auto Center is pretty awesome. A warm garage, access to all types of tools, lifts, and knowledge for working on your car. The cost when I frequented one in Grand Forks, ND was $3/hour for a stall.

I guess I don't consider snow and suffering in the same sentence, I love the white stuff... makes the cold bearable. Not to mention I grew up here. I'm east of syracuse, about 1.5-2 hours from Watertown. You should be able to find a place that installs remote car starters up there, I'm assuming you're driving an automatic right? Someone here can recommend one. I think the Auto Center should have a tech or two that can do that. Thats one thing I don't/will never have.
[/b]

The Auto Center sounds cool if you know what u are doing. I don't like snow, but I guess that's because I am from San Francisco, CA. How come u wouldn't buy a remote car starter?

Q Gurl78

#26 ·
Hey I was just about to write you. LOL I know u are wondering why I have been on here all day but I am on 24 hour duty at work.

Anyhow... that's pretty cool that u get all 4 for $25.00 the bad thing though is that I looked on Ebay and I couldn't find any Door Sills for the Mazda. :(

Hmm thanks for the tips on painting the interior. I feel a bit nervous when it comes down to uninstalling stuffs from my car and cutting things. Although I would like to do it myself if someone supervised me and told me what to do, you knkow?

LOL yes u did go overboard on the decals. lol. I want to get a decal for my rear windshield. A decal that says "Boricua Baby" since I am half Puerto Rican. :D

We all live n learn though, at least u were able to take them off and not leave a mark on ur finish.

Gosh I can't wait to get relieved tomorrow. I don't get off of duty till 0830

Well talk at cha laters, take care

Q Gurl78
[/b]
ahhaa....well....I cant believe I'm STILL ONLINE!! I have to get up in the morning!! 7:30AM :nono:

Take care.....
Be carefull ...dont get TOO SLEEPY eh?
Neal S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.