Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just purchased a 2009 Mazda 6 2.5l 6 speed manual transmission with 115,267 miles. The car runs great and the engine is so quiet. I am looking for advice on what would be the best motor oil, coolant and tranny fluid to use. I work at a CDJR and Mitsu dealer so I have techs to help me out. The car was a trade in at work. They had already done the LOF, exhaust, and Front brakes and rotors, before I purchased the car. Looking at a coolant flush to be done and the tranny fluid changed. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

·
Rally Racer
2,542 Posts
Hi all. I just purchased a 2009 Mazda 6 2.5l 6 speed manual transmission with 115,267 miles. The car runs great and the engine is so quiet. I am looking for advice on what would be the best motor oil, coolant and tranny fluid to use. I work at a CDJR and Mitsu dealer so I have techs to help me out. The car was a trade in at work. They had already done the LOF, exhaust, and Front brakes and rotors, before I purchased the car. Looking at a coolant flush to be done and the tranny fluid changed. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.
Hey there, welcome to the group. Nice find.
The "best motor oil" will ignite a massive thread that gets closed after a bit so be prepared. ;)

Recommended is 5W-20 but 5W-30 is also permissible. I would be inclined to go with a "high-mileage" 5W-30 oil. Whatever you choose I would pick something that is universally available as I feel that keeping with the same brand (whatever that is) and the detergents they use is better than any particular specifics about Amsoil, Pennzoil, Olive Oyl or whatever.

For MTX fluid I would probably choose a 75W-90 and refill it with Mazda fluid. Honestly I feel most any major brand would work fine here. Drain it hot.

I would use Mazda Coolant. This is the only place I would go out of my way to use manufacturer spec stuff. This is probably less important for you because you are planning a "flush". I drain and refill so it is important to me to keep the same spec fluid for uniformity.

This is my 2 cents but be prepared for tons of opinions.

EDIT: It should be said that all the weights are taken from the 2009 Owners Manual.

Send a pic when you can.

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I always go with what Mazda recommends, but others will debate that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts