Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at the Mazda dealer today I asked the service manager if replacing the stock springs with Eibach's or HR's would void the warranty. He told me he was not sure, but that I should wait till Mazda comes out with there owe so as not to void the warranty. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: New spring void warrenty?

Aftermarket parts can only void a warranty if the replaced part can be proven to be the cause of the problem. In other words, if your engine blows up they can't void your warranty because of the springs.

But don't expect them to fix squeaks and rattles.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

But expect a fight when you go to the dealer for any work, our newest service manager at my shop was a service manager at a GM dealership around here and today he told a customer if he put any non-GM part on his car, before the warranty period is up, it would completely void his warranty.

I tried to school him, but he is set in his ways from all that dealer brainwashing.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Just remember this link.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may also be helpful. Under this federal law, you can sue on breach of express and implied warranties. The main point of interest here is that the Act says warranty coverage may not be conditioned upon the use of only the vehicle manufacturer's parts unless the parts are provided free of charge. In other words, use of a non-carmaker product should not void your warranty unless it caused the problem.

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).[/b]

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'New spring void warrenty?'

Originally posted by 84FordMan

today he told a customer if he put any non-GM part on his car, before the warranty period is up, it would completely void his warranty.[/b]
I would inform him and the GM that making statements like that could end in a consumer class action law suit against the dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts