Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titanium Grey GT, moonroof. Bought it last Thursday and drove back. I still can't believe how much car I got for the $ - even after hours on this and other boards I discovered more features on the car. Following the curves on the Blue Ridge Parkway it felt completely solid - no monkey motion in the suspension or body. It's really a very enjoyable car. The dealer was perfectly straight about the deal - it was exactly as advertised with a $400 doc fee which the saleman explained _before_ I got down there. Given the steep discout they offered I saw no reason to object to that.

big tx to the folks on this board who publicized the deals on this car

·
Registered
130 Posts
Titanium Grey GT, moonroof. Bought it last Thursday and drove back to NYC. I still can't believe how much car I got for the $ - even after hours on this and other boards I discovered more features on the car. Following the curves on the Blue Ridge Parkway it felt completely solid - no monkey motion in the suspension or body. It's really a very enjoyable car. Jim Ellis was perfectly straight about the deal - it was exactly as advertised with a $400 doc fee which the saleman explained _before_ I got down there. Given the steep discout they offered I saw no reason to object to that. My salesman was Dennis Fabec; I reccomend him highly.

Now I've got to find a local dealer to get a few warrantee issues straightened out. Any hints as to the best Mazda dealer service dept within 75mi of NYC?
big tx to the folks on this board who publicized the deals on this car
[/b]
Sounds nice ... what warrenty items do you need done? I've gone back and forth so many times from reading this board and others about different issues .. it's hard for me to pull the trigger .. the car I'm looking at is a 12/05 build as well and has been on the dealer lot for some time .. that also worries me ..

Crowley

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've dealt with Middletown Mazda in Middletown, NY had no issues. Also Colonial Mazda in Danbury, CT all good so far.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Geez man from GA to NYC nice little break in trip.....Congradulatuions.

how was gas Milage doin for you>?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dennis was awesome to me and I didn't buy mine there. Straight up guy period. Congrats!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Grats on the new car. Mine is identical to yours (dammit!). Well, my calipers are now painted red. I win! :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My speed6 was the third vehicle I have purchased from Jim Ellis in Marietta. Other than the doofus salesman filling my car up with 87 octane, I have absolutely no complaints. They have never pulled any of the usual dealer crap. Sutherlin Mazda, on the other hand, threw every sleezball trick in the book at me. I won't waste time even shopping there again.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds nice ... what warrenty items do you need done? I've gone back and forth so many times from reading this board and others about different issues .. it's hard for me to pull the trigger .. the car I'm looking at is a 12/05 build as well and has been on the dealer lot for some time .. that also worries me ..

Crowley
[/b]
First, figure out what you really want (OK, not an AMG... somewhere near your $ range). Then get the closest thing you can afford. The MS6 is more car than you'll get anywhere else for 24-25K, and compares with the Subie SpecB which is over 30. Only YOU know what you really want. /off soapbox

My car sat for nearly a year and there's a vibration which I believe is in the tires. The brake rotors need to be replaced or at least turned. I also noticed fuel contamination in the oil - mebbe an injector is stuck partly open.
I would be PO'd, but with the deal I got and the prior knowledge that the car could have been on the lot for up to a year I figure it's part of the bargain.

That said this is no average car. I drove a ways on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was suprised at how the car handled curves - with absolute stability. It may be a leather-lined sedan, but it takes corners more like a Corvette. No, it won't pull 1G on the stock tires but it feels like the chassis would handle that. First impression is there's more understeer than needed, but I've never been to a track with it nor experimented with it's limits. Other board members report that it balances well once you get on the power in a turn.

The engine doesn't thrash and vibrate at 4K rpm, just hums, and it squirts ahead easily at highway speeds. I suspect the car would be stable enough at 150mph all day but unfortunately we're in the wrong country. It has a firm suspension but handled the bombscape pavement on FDR drive much better than I expected.

There's also 1 goodie you should seriously consider if you drive with a bit of zoom-zoom: DSC. Standard on the MS6, not available on the 06 LGT (I believe they have it for 07). So far I've found that the system's calibration is perfect. It doesn't nanny you when you make a brisk manuever but if you're sliding it will bring the car back into line. An overactive (Toyota) DSC is like having none at all, becuase you're tempted to turn it off in the scenario where you really need it - a twisty road.
In short, this is a great choice if it's the kind of car you were looking for. You can find compromises -The engine software wasn't fully baked, but with the savings compared to a SpecB you'll have plenty of $ for that and other improvements. The Bose sytem is just a car radio with more volume. It's noticably lacking in musical depth but hey it was no extra charge. I'm sure folks can chime in with more things like that but if you want a sedan that's tightly tied down to the road, manual trans, AWD and upgradable performance you should put this car high on your list.

Geez man from GA to NYC nice little break in trip.....Congradulatuions.

how was gas Milage doin for you>?
[/b]
20mpg 1st tank, then 23, last tank not refilled yet. I think it's running rich which would account for the low mileage, beyond normal tightness of a new engine. Of course I wasn't driving for fuel economy - it was vary the speed while also staying in motion enough to get to a scheduled at the end of the trip.
I hope the car will get at least 27 at steady higway speeds - with a 4cyl, manual trans, direct injection and decent aero there should be a mileage payoff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First, figure out what you really want (OK, not an AMG... somewhere near your $ range). Then get the closest thing you can afford. The MS6 is more car than you'll get anywhere else for 24-25K, and compares with the Subie SpecB which is over 30. Only YOU know what you really want. /off soapbox

My car sat for nearly a year and there's a vibration which I believe is in the tires. The brake rotors need to be replaced or at least turned. I also noticed fuel contamination in the oil - mebbe an injector is stuck partly open.
I would be PO'd, but with the deal I got and the prior knowledge that the car could have been on the lot for up to a year I figure it's part of the bargain.

That said this is no average car. I drove a ways on the Blue Ridge Parkway and was suprised at how the car handled curves - with absolute stability. It may be a leather-lined sedan, but it takes corners more like a Corvette. No, it won't pull 1G on the stock tires but it feels like the chassis would handle that. First impression is there's more understeer than needed, but I've never been to a track with it nor experimented with it's limits. Other board members report that it balances well once you get on the power in a turn.

The engine doesn't thrash and vibrate at 4K rpm, just hums, and it squirts ahead easily at highway speeds. I suspect the car would be stable enough at 150mph all day but unfortunately we're in the wrong country. It has a firm suspension but handled the bombscape pavement on FDR drive much better than I expected.

There's also 1 goodie you should seriously consider if you drive with a bit of zoom-zoom: DSC. Standard on the MS6, not available on the 06 LGT (I believe they have it for 07). So far I've found that the system's calibration is perfect. It doesn't nanny you when you make a brisk manuever but if you're sliding it will bring the car back into line. An overactive (Toyota) DSC is like having none at all, becuase you're tempted to turn it off in the scenario where you really need it - a twisty road.
In short, this is a great choice if it's the kind of car you were looking for. You can find compromises -The engine software wasn't fully baked, but with the savings compared to a SpecB you'll have plenty of $ for that and other improvements. The Bose sytem is just a car radio with more volume. It's noticably lacking in musical depth but hey it was no extra charge. I'm sure folks can chime in with more things like that but if you want a sedan that's tightly tied down to the road, manual trans, AWD and upgradable performance you should put this car high on your list.
20mpg 1st tank, then 23, last tank not refilled yet. I think it's running rich which would account for the low mileage, beyond normal tightness of a new engine. Of course I wasn't driving for fuel economy - it was vary the speed while also staying in motion enough to get to a scheduled at the end of the trip.
I hope the car will get at least 27 at steady higway speeds - with a 4cyl, manual trans, direct injection and decent aero there should be a mileage payoff.
[/b]
My mileage sucks so far, I got 250miles out of my last tank of mixed city and highway, semi-spirited driving. :(

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey Congrats Man... now THAT'S going after a deal :D

I got my MS6 from there too. My friend is the Sales Manager there; don't know if you got to meet him (Dave Evans).

What part of NYC do you live? I used to live in the Bronx, then moved to NJ before going south to GA. Love it here, I'm done with the NY life :nana:

Enjoy your car and congrats ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Congrats Man... now THAT'S going after a deal :D

I got my MS6 from there too. My friend is the Sales Manager there; don't know if you got to meet him (Dave Evans).

What part of NYC do you live? I used to live in the Bronx, then moved to NJ before going south to GA. Love it here, I'm done with the NY life :nana:

Enjoy your car and congrats ;)
[/b]
I'm new to NYC and looking at a place in Astoria. I'm in L.I.C now, which has, uh, hm... numerous 24hr fuel and taxi repair establishments. Yeah, NYC has the best and worst of everything. I did jump on that deal in a hurry - I figured that was as good as it would get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I got my Platinum Speed6 from Dennis on 11/25. Definitely a straight-up guy to work with. I drove my crappy old Eclipse from Peoria, IL to the Jim Ellis dealership, and drove my new car home! I hope you enjoyed your ride home, and hopefully your warrantee issues won't be too bad.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
My speed6 was the third vehicle I have purchased from Jim Ellis in Marietta. Other than the doofus salesman filling my car up with 87 octane, I have absolutely no complaints. They have never pulled any of the usual dealer crap. Sutherlin Mazda, on the other hand, threw every sleezball trick in the book at me. I won't waste time even shopping there again. [/b]

Same here. This is my 3rd Mazda from Jim Ellis. :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
When they said they were giving me a full tank of gas, I specifically asked them for premium only. We had to take the manager's credit card and run down the street. At least they have 93 Octane in Atlanta.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same here. This is my 3rd Mazda from Jim Ellis. :D
[/b]
Whoa... both of us purchased a Whitewater Pearl MS6 as our third Mazda from Jim Ellis...
freaky...

Now if only I could duplicate your quarter mile times! :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new car...

I got mine from Jim Ellis also and have heard nothing but great things. And even though they are only 4 hours away, I somehow managed to get it hauled to me on a rollback!

Since I got mine, I have been on the Blue Ridge Parkway four times, and I know what you mean about the cars ability to handle in the curves. I was impressed with it, and am glad to have made the decision to get this car!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm new to NYC and looking at a place in Astoria. I'm in L.I.C now, which has, uh, hm... numerous 24hr fuel and taxi repair establishments. Yeah, NYC has the best and worst of everything. I did jump on that deal in a hurry - I figured that was as good as it would get. [/b]

Well, you'll be better off in Astoria... LIC also has a gas station on every other block... and that wouldn't be a bad thing if their gas wasn't crap.

Enjoy your MS6 in the city ;) Oh... you can enjoy the taxis too :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well, you'll be better off in Astoria... LIC also has a gas station on every other block... and that wouldn't be a bad thing if their gas wasn't crap.

Enjoy your MS6 in the city ;) Oh... you can enjoy the taxis too :D
[/b]

i work at all star mazda in hempstead, about 20 minutes from LIC. im the service writer, we are very mod friendly, the techs are good, and we arent far from you. the service manager is a good guy and can really hook you up if you get in good with him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts