Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked the car up at 8:30 last night, I drove home with my 2 children in the back, and I did not hammer the car hard. It had 43 miles on it when I left the dealer, maybe 55 when I got to my Father's house to show him. He came out and I still had it setting there idleing, and I poped the hood to show him the engine compartment, and we both noticed that between the firewall and the engine was the turbo (Or just below it?) glowing red hot....not barely glowing.......Glowing. I shut off the engine and stood there looking and it took a good 120 seconds to drop to a barely noticable glow. I run turbo diesels every day and I know when my turbo on the Powerstroke is glowing, its about time to order a new one cause the bushings on the catridge are going to cook. A buddy of mine said it may be a "Scrubber" and that it would be totally normal to see the scrubber glowing red hot.....but I dont know what a scrubber is, they are not on Diesel trucks!

I just got the car brand new last night, not a Grand Touring, but Black Cherry with dimming mirror and Sirius for 23440 after 2500 rebate and 1000 cash back for financing thru Mazda. I broke even on my 3 year old trade in.....so I did not do to well there.... Oh well. I can put my wife, me and 3 kids in this car and have a quiet and comfortable ride, and I can still out pull most average cars on the street aside from stuff like a Stang/Camaro/Corvette/GTO......and I like how, similar to the GTO, this car is not going down the road with folks looking at me as if I have MID LIFE CRISIS tattoo'ed to my forhead! The car looks classy, yet muscular. It rides nice, yet firm. It is powerfull, yet tame. Its a family car, yet its FUN! I am excited to own this Speed6! I plan to do the Intercooler, intake, turbo back 3" exhaust, the tunner (After the direct plug in one is done) and maybe the turbo when it comes out. I talked to the guys that are making this stuff yesterday before I got the car, and I like what he says he can help me do. I like the idea of close to 100 more RWHP and still taking my children to school in it and not looking like a guy trying to get into the Fast and the Furious sequals at 36 yrs old while carrying 3 children to school!

Any ways, please talk to me about the glowing red turbo on my brand new Speed6.

I drove her 70 miles to work today, and she was a dream on the PA turnpike! I was running 125 mph and it felt like I was doing 65! When I got to work and pulled thru the lot, I shut it off and popped the hood and did not see the turbo glowing at all....

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Nice! Where in PA are you from? Put in your location and welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Welcome to the club!

If you are worried about your turbo/boost I suggest you get a boost gauge as your first mod, I installed mine last week and love it! After excesive beating the turbo will glow red, not a big deal but before you turn the car off from a huge beating I would let it sit and idle for a minute or so just to be on the safe side before you turn it off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, if you get on it, the turbo will glow hot.
[/b]
I am from Baden PA, 25 miles North-West of Pittsburgh.

So is it fine and normal to see the turbo glow?

Is there bearings or bushings in the cartridge?

Will the downpipe/exhaust and intake dramaticly increase airflow and reduce EGTs?

Have many of you put a pyrometer in the ex manifold to trend EGT's and see if these cars are busting 1300 easily?

I am thinking if the turbo is glowing red, we have some bad EGT issues. Maybe a Snow performance water/meth kit with straight water would be the hot ticket?

·
Registered
231 Posts

So is it fine and normal to see the turbo glow?

Is there bearings or bushings in the cartridge?

Will the downpipe/exhaust and intake dramaticly increase airflow and reduce EGTs?

Have many of you put a pyrometer in the ex manifold to trend EGT's and see if these cars are busting 1300 easily?

I am thinking if the turbo is glowing red, we have some bad EGT issues. Maybe a Snow performance water/meth kit with straight water would be the hot ticket?
[/b]
This is why I cant wait to get rid of the ghey stock turbo, after several hard runs, I know its cooking my oil

The advantage of it though is that it cools fairly quick

·
Registered
651 Posts

[/b]
You're right by me...is your's the one that was sitting up at Billco?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right by me...is your's the one that was sitting up at Billco?
[/b]
Yep, the Black Cherry one on the end.

The metalic black one beside it was the same but had the GPS system, so it cost more for something I have no use for.....I hope I did not steal your future ride......... but you can't have it now! I love the feel of this car, but I dont love how ultra smooth the power is, I really want to piss it off a bit and make it still be able to slide down the turnpike from Cranberry to New Stanton in comfort, but when it comes time to line up at the light, I want 300Z type of excitement.

Where are you from Joey? I would love to see a GT! Mine is NOT a Grand Touring edition, Billco did not have any, and I really was very happy with what the regular speed had, and I was happy with the VERY affordable price they gave me!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The brighter a turbos glow, the closer it is to maximum efficiency. Turbo-deisels tend not to glow so much due to their size and relatively low work load (as compared to a turbo on a gasoline engine). You're fine, just don't drive the piss out of it like you could an evo.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The more you boost, the brighter it gets.
I watched it glow for 5 minutes one night...motor running of course.
I think someone said our EGTs are 1400-1500F under heavy load.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yep, the Black Cherry one on the end.

The metalic black one beside it was the same but had the GPS system, so it cost more for something I have no use for.....I hope I did not steal your future ride......... but you can't have it now! I love the feel of this car, but I dont love how ultra smooth the power is, I really want to piss it off a bit and make it still be able to slide down the turnpike from Cranberry to New Stanton in comfort, but when it comes time to line up at the light, I want 300Z type of excitement.

Where are you from Joey? I would love to see a GT! Mine is NOT a Grand Touring edition, Billco did not have any, and I really was very happy with what the regular speed had, and I was happy with the VERY affordable price they gave me!
[/b]
No, I grabbed the one off the showroom floor...GT fully loaded with Nav. As a funny story though, there was a scratch in the hood and they considered swapping the hood of mine with the one you bought. :D Unfortunitely, the VIN on the hood restricted it. They did a perfect job with the paint though...

As for me, I live in Pine and work in Cranberry...we can get together sometime if you like.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I grabbed the one off the showroom floor...GT fully loaded with Nav. As a funny story though, there was a scratch in the hood and they considered swapping the hood of mine with the one you bought. :D Unfortunitely, the VIN on the hood restricted it. They did a perfect job with the paint though...

As for me, I live in Pine and work in Cranberry...we can get together sometime if you like.
[/b]
I am on RT 989 in Economy Boro, if you know where the Ambridge Sportsman Club is, I am .4 miles north of it on RT 989. I would love to see your car, I like mine.....except I keep looking down and find myself doing 70+ in a 35 MPH zone. This car does not pass on the feeling of the speed you are actually going. You look down and say..."Oh my gosh, I hope I dont a ticket!" as you mash the binders down a bit to bring it back down. The car glides so smooth and quiet, I never feel as if I am speeding. Even at 140 yesterday morning on RT 65 (Ohio river BLVD) at 6 am it was like doing 80 in my Civic! This car is deceptively fast......and it likes to allow you to drive way to fast with out telling you your doing it!

Its like Stephen King's Christine!

"Honey, its forcing me to get these speeding tickets....no baby-doll....I can't get rid of her....I love her! And baby, if you keep bad mouthing my new love........YOU may have to go!"

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am on RT 989 in Economy Boro, if you know where the Ambridge Sportsman Club is, I am .4 miles north of it on RT 989. I would love to see your car, I like mine.....except I keep looking down and find myself doing 70+ in a 35 MPH zone. This car does not pass on the feeling of the speed you are actually going. You look down and say..."Oh my gosh, I hope I dont a ticket!" as you mash the binders down a bit to bring it back down. The car glides so smooth and quiet, I never feel as if I am speeding. Even at 140 yesterday morning on RT 65 (Ohio river BLVD) at 6 am it was like doing 80 in my Civic! This car is deceptively fast......and it likes to allow you to drive way to fast with out telling you your doing it!

Its like Stephen King's Christine!

"Honey, its forcing me to get these speeding tickets....no baby-doll....I can't get rid of her....I love her! And baby, if you keep bad mouthing my new love........YOU may have to go!"
[/b]
One thing, it never helps when the kids shout to go faster...I know my son always eggs me on.

We'll try and hook up one of these days...I just picked up a CAI, so it you want to see one before buying let me know. I highly recommend...

And about route 65 in Kilbuck...go the speed limit. Anything over 45 you might as well be tossing your wallet out the window. :sarc: :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing, it never helps when the kids shout to go faster...I know my son always eggs me on.

We'll try and hook up one of these days...I just picked up a CAI, so it you want to see one before buying let me know. I highly recommend...

And about route 65 in Kilbuck...go the speed limit. Anything over 45 you might as well be tossing your wallet out the window. :sarc: :D
[/b]
What intake did you get? My dealer told me if I get the stuff from them and have them install it I will save the warranty....but I can get a EAM for $200, and I think it is the same intake! I really want to do the 3" downpipe and 3" cat back, intake, tuner, and turbo with the front mounted inter-cooler......but the Stealership nazi's say I will be SOL with Mazda if I do ANYTHING. I will have to wait a couple thousand miles at least to make sure I dont have any issues in the new car.

I would like to see your intake..... If I can get measurements on it, I can make my own and make it dang near identicle. I have access to a 3" pipe bender and I make custom intakes now for diesel trucks, so its nothing new.... But I like the look of the full polished aftermarket intakes....I am torn.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I am Making a turbo cooler....

An Icepack strapped to your turbo back selling for $45.00 if yer interested :sarc:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mine is the AEM with Dryflow filter...if you need to take a look at it to get demensions, I'm game for it.

Only hard part might be getting the MAF connected and the bypass connection...as seen in this pic

Just let me know when you would want to get together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
...and I can still out pull most average cars on the street aside from stuff like a Stang/Camaro/Corvette/GTO......[/b]
Wow, you did not just imply that this car would get bet by a mustang. Not. Going. To. Happen. Well, there's always the built roush stang or cobra, but your average or even somewhat above average mustang wont even hang with a speed6. I dont even have my speed6 yet and I can tell just from one drive they dont compare. Stock cobalt SS's are roasting mustangs left and right, kinda pathetic really. I wouldn't even be afried of going against a camaro. A corvette would roast us for sure, or a goat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey joey, that looks real familiar. install looks good. glad everything worked out for you.
[/b]
Well, my AEM polished intake and snow water/meth stage 2 kit will be here Friday. The water meth kit is good for 30+ HP on the top end with 50% meth. If I get the Snow Boost Juice I can get closer to 40+ HP. Add to that the intake, and I should be right at 260 wheel HP and 315 FWHP. Next will be exhaust, followed by the turbo.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, you did not just imply that this car would get bet by a mustang. Not. Going. To. Happen. Well, there's always the built roush stang or cobra, but your average or even somewhat above average mustang wont even hang with a speed6. I dont even have my speed6 yet and I can tell just from one drive they dont compare. Stock cobalt SS's are roasting mustangs left and right, kinda pathetic really. I wouldn't even be afried of going against a camaro. A corvette would roast us for sure, or a goat.
[/b]
Ummm, not quite sure about your vast car knowledge but a decent driver in a 99-04 mustang gt can pull an average of 14.1 in the 1/4, the best I've seen live in person stock was 13.8, As for the new 05-06 again with a decent stick driver averages are 13.8, best being 13.5. So please know what you are talking about before you post. And as far as stock Cobalt SS's roasting Mustangs V6's don't count.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts