Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I stumbled on this site and was happy to see all the information , I recently picked up an 06 2.3 turbo awd, unfortunately the motor sounds bad , haven’t really looked into it but it sounds worse than a timing chain or lifters , not quite a knock so I believe it’s top end , I’ve seen a lot of n/a guys swapping in the 2.5 but I haven’t found a decent answer if the 2.5 will swap into mine , I expect I’ll need a tune (I’m sure this info on that here) , I already have a 10 or 12 2.5 from a fusion , but being I’m turbo will it work ? I’m not looking for hp gains at the moment , I just want it to run and drive thanks for any help !!

·
Rally Racer
1,741 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum. If you are not sure what the problem is, the dealer could do a diagnostic for a bit of cash. You may just need a new top end and timing components, maybe less. A low mileage used or re-manufactured long block can be had for around $3000 and that should definitely get you going for a little bit.
A quick search (I recommend it) shows:
https://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-i-4/361217-turbo-2-5-a.html
https://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-i-4/239164-mzr-l5-ve-intake-exhaust-manifold-l3-ve-l3-vdt-compatible.html

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The stock block that isn't from a speed 6 would not be my first choice. Being a turbo engine, there are sometimes differences between the blocks. That said, I am not a speed expert by any means. I do know that the variable valve timing solenoid needs regular service or replacement and when not done, can have serious effects on the engine internals. I think I would start by pulling the engine and removing the head to see what you see. You could also try pulling spark plugs and checking with a horoscope for valve strikes. Just a couple ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info , I’m probably going to pull the motor for further inspection , I have a bit of experience with engines but not too much with turbos , that being said I’m hoping at least for now the 2.5 will work , but it’s possile that it may not run too much to rebuild mine , guess we’ll see what surprises await lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Some wise advice here.

Keep us posted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Rockinbluesron
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing