Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this article, the revised Smart fortwo will be sold in the US in 2008:

Story

I'll be excited to see them on American roads, though I highly doubt I'd ever consider buying one.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I can see these being perfect for city environments however they seem just to small for anything useful outside of driving yourself. Places like NYC I cant see a market for cuz of the public transportation

·
Registered
978 Posts
I saw one last night...I was behind it at a stoplight and I was thinking that they weren't supposed to be released yet. from what I could see, it looked like there was still some decent "trunk" space behind the two seats. pretty goofy looking though if you ask me... seemed pretty top heavy to me; not a car I'd want to get hit in!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I saw one last night...I was behind it at a stoplight and I was thinking that they weren't supposed to be released yet. from what I could see, it looked like there was still some decent "trunk" space behind the two seats. pretty goofy looking though if you ask me... seemed pretty top heavy to me; not a car I'd want to get hit in!
[/b]
I wouldn't want to get hit in any car... :nana:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw one last night...I was behind it at a stoplight and I was thinking that they weren't supposed to be released yet. [/b]
IIRC, there is a company out of Phoenix that is importing the current model, so that's probably what you saw. The cars in the pictures won't be out until '07 for Europe and '08 for the States.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have had this discussion before with members of this board but figure I could always chime in again.

My mom owns one of thse cars up here in Canada. 2005 Smart Fourtwo. She has had it for a year now, annd she loves it.

I myself am impressed with the amount of room inside. I am 6'3" and I fit almost comfortably inside as a passenger. (The problem being the passenger loses some leg room due to the battery being essentially right underneath their feet.)

They are a fun little car to tool around in, that is for sure. Not much for highway driving, but in the city they are great. 18L fuel tank (5 gallons I think), and great on gas (diesel).

I would never trade the 6 in, and I would probably never buy one myself, but for my mom who uses it to commute back and forth to work, it is a great little car.

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I don't think I'd like to have something that small. I saw one in person back in May when I was in Canada. WAY too small for my tastes, although a good public transportation alternative.

You have to remember though, in Europe everyone drives small cars. They don't have to worry about the proverbial soccer mom flying down the road while applying makeup, talking on the cell phone, and yelling at the kids to avoid. Driver training is also more stringent in Europe too.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Consumer Reports tested one they bought in Canada. They're not impressive.

The current one had a 0-60 of 23 seconds, and only gets 43 mpg (on expensive diesel fuel). Handling is clumsy and the ride is harsh. Short trips are hard on a diesel engine, long trips are unsuited to the car.

The new one better be a lot quicker and more economical to compete with current minicars like the Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris, which will likely be even less expensive than the 2008 Smart. The cost of fuel difference evens out the mileage difference. A base small car is likely a better choice for many people, even if the fuel economy is somewhat lower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts