Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Mazda eyes Skyactiv-X rollout for cars

The Mazda CX-4 likely arrives in U.S. in '20.

Mazda continues to focus on crossovers and premium content in search of wider profit margins. It's also looking for ways to retain its leadership in fuel economy.

Mazda3:​ Mazda's workhorse compact car got a light freshening in 2016 for the 2017 model year, including tweaks to the exterior and refinements inside. Mazda's new G-Vectoring torque-based handling feature is now standard, while the 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter Skyactiv four-cylinder engines carry over. Look for a redesign in 2018 for the 2019 model year, with the sedan and hatchback returning. A year later, the next-gen Mazda3 could be the first Mazda to get the automaker's new fuel-saving homogeneous charge compression ignition, or HCCI, technology, branded Skyactiv-X.

Mazda6: The midsize sedan was freshened lightly for 2017 and is due for a redesign in 2018 for the 2019 model year. It, too, could get Mazda's HCCI technology a year after the next generation hits the market. Mazda hasn't signaled plans to kill the next-gen Mazda6, but the car, or at least its sales volume, could be threatened by the arrival of the CX-4 as consumers gravitate toward crossovers.

MX-5 Miata:​ Mazda's roadster picked up a retractable hardtop option for 2017. A freshening could land around 2020 but it will likely be cosmetic only. Given the long life spans of niche models such as the ​ MX-5 Miata, a redesign isn't expected until 2023, assuming it isn't axed.

CX-3: Mazda's tiny crossover was new in 2016 and a freshening isn't due until 2019, with largely cosmetic updates. A redesign is due in 2022.

The 2018 Mazda CX-5 gets a diesel variant.

CX-4: Sold in China for several years, this sleek crossover likely will come to the U.S. when the current generation gets freshened for the 2020 model year. Based on its size and Mazda's goals for it, its name will likely be moved up to something like a CX-6.

CX-5: The second generation went on sale for the 2017 model year with increased refinement and style in keeping with Mazda's push upmarket. A diesel variant has been promised by year end as a 2018 model. A freshened version will land in 2020 while a redesign is likely for 2022.

CX-9: Mazda's big crossover, redesigned for 2016, soldiers on for the foreseeable future. A freshening is expected in 2019 with a redesign due in 2022.

EV: Mazda has said it plans to introduce an electric vehicle in 2019, though it's unclear how large the vehicle would be and whether it would be a crossover or a car. Expect Mazda's partnership with Toyota to play a role here as Toyota itself plans an EV around 2019 (particularly in China) or 2020.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170904/OEM04/170909999/mazda-future-product

·
Registered
46 Posts
The details are out now. Mazda is saying 187hp/170lb-ft from the 2.0L. Average gas mileage from all the journalists was 39.9mpg for the automatic which included a mix of city/highway including 100mph on the Autobahn. The mules were also based on the new Mazda3 platform with existing shell.

GTHO! Going In Depth With Mazda's Brilliant Skyactiv X Engine - Technologue - Motor Trend

2020 Mazda 3 prototype first drive: can spark-less engine ignite our passions?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/road-tests/96441241/mazdas-new-skyactivx-petrol-plans-to-put-the-pressure-on-electric-vehicles

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some more interesting details. (91 RON = 87 Octane)

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/mazda-skyactiv-x-could-save-you-over-400-per-year-by-preferring-regular-petrol-over-premium

Set to appear first with the fourth-generation Mazda3 in 2019, the new SkyActiv-X engine's effectiveness actually depends on pre-detonation or knocking, which higher octane petrols like 94 RON E10, 105 RON E85 and 95 RON and 98 RON Premium have been designed to resist.

SkyActiv-X technical research and control system boss Mitsuo Hitomi confirmed that in its ideal guise, the engine's ability to combust petrol through compression ignition will require Regular 91 RON fuel, and any higher octane rating will force the engine to revert to pure spark plug ignition like a conventional engine.

Hitomi-san suggested a partial solution is planned for markets like Europe where 91 RON fuel is scarce or unavailable, which would be supplied with engines using a higher 16:1 compression ratio to enable both compression and spark ignition functions to operate. This spec won't deliver quite the same efficiency gains as the 15:1 compression ratio version delivered to 91 RON-using markets such as Australia, however.

Hitomi-san explained that the ability to measure near-infinite parameters through advances in computer technology is the number one factor that will enable Mazda to produce such a system, with the SkyActiv-X ECU using dual-core processing and a 24 Volt electrical system instead of the usual 12 Volt setup. Also key is the pressure sensor required to accurately measure cylinder pressure during the compression cycle and quickly respond to changing conditions in what is a highly volatile combustion process.

Despite the accuracy required for the SPCCI process, Hitomi-san explained the SkyActiv-X engine will use conventional spark plugs in lieu of expensive bespoke parts, and that recommended service intervals will be no more frequent than existing models. The suggested oil will be no more exotic than that specified for conventional turbos, and the engine will continue to use a timing chain instead of a belt requiring regular replacement.

He also assured that the system has been designed to start reliably from temperatures as low as -30 degrees Celsius, but the engine will use spark ignition until it reaches operating temperature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the power numbers reversed. The 2.0l is actually rated for 187hp/170lb-ft. Since the torque curve is flatter and the engine slightly lighter, it could perform very similar to the existing 2.5l with a lot better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had the power numbers reversed. The 2.0l is actually rated for 187hp/170lb-ft. Since the torque curve is flatter and the engine slightly lighter, it could perform very similar to the existing 2.5l with a lot better fuel economy.
I thought they said 10-30% GAIN in torque? That looks like a 10% DECREASE in torque.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The standard 2.0L SkyActiv G makes around 155lbs/tq IIRC..So at the rated 170lbs for this "base" Sky "X" is indeed, at the low range of 10% gain in torque.

I hope the 30%..would be on the bigger displacement "X" engine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The standard 2.0L SkyActiv G makes around 155lbs/tq IIRC..So at the rated 170lbs for this "base" Sky "X" is indeed, at the low range of 10% gain in torque.

I hope the 30%..would be on the bigger displacement "X" engine.
That'd be nice if they did a 2.5L version as well - 230 HP, 210 lbs-ft with fantastic mileage could get me back into FWD.

Also, read up on the chassis upgrades - 2019 Mazda3 Prototype First Drive: Fourth Gen's the Charmer - Motor Trend - hoping they didn't gain weight, but everything they describe that they did lights up the right spots in my brain.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Some updates on Mazda's engine roadmap at the Frankfurt Auto Show.
All Future Mazda Cars Will Be Electrified By 2035

- full range of vehicles to be electrified in one form or another (mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid, full electric) by 2035
- first mild hybrids due in two years
- HCCI coming out in 2019 (super clean gas engine) under the Skyactive X brand
- 2019 is also when we'll see their first zero emission car (with a rotary range extender)
- plug in hybrid to launch in 2021
- autonomous vehicles launching in 2025

·
Registered
46 Posts
That'd be nice if they did a 2.5L version as well - 230 HP, 210 lbs-ft with fantastic mileage could get me back into FWD.

Also, read up on the chassis upgrades - 2019 Mazda3 Prototype First Drive: Fourth Gen's the Charmer - Motor Trend - hoping they didn't gain weight, but everything they describe that they did lights up the right spots in my brain.
We will likely see a 2.5L version, although initially the existing 2.5L will get pumped up in the CX-5 this fall to 194hp/190lb-ft due to some minor engine improvements. I expect the next 6 to get this engine until the 2.5L skyactiv-X is ready.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Ditto. I also hope that they'd keep the next 6, as lightweight as possible. At the current torque values of the 2.5L (185lbs-ft)..assuming at the low ball gain of 10%, we could see around 204lbs-ft. A high gain of 30%, that could possibly be 240lbs-ft. In real world driving (Los Angeles), torque matters to me most..than hp. If the FWD "X" Mazda6 disappoints me..surely, I'd go the opposite way, to RWD (the next Mustang GT or Camaro 1SS), also in a manual. We'll see.

Btw, I noticed you're from Grand Rapids. When I was up there in MI last Nov (be flying back, in two weeks actually..) driving upstate to Makinaw via the 75N..I only spotted I think around two GJ/GL Mazda6s that day. Seeing our rare cars, still always catches my attention. I love it's exclusivity (not to mention the fastback style, handling and fuel economy).:smile2:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You didn't catch me on one of my times up in Mackinaw.... I am there quite frequently. Yes, I drive up from Florida in my 6.... :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Well, from the couple articles I've read today it sounds like Mazda might have cracked this technology.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, from the couple articles I've read today it sounds like Mazda might have cracked this technology.

I’m sure it’s there or at least pretty damn close-I’d be curious to see the actual placement of the spark and what the stroke length would be compared with the conventional petrol engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 77 of 77 Posts