Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was debating the same thing... here's my reasoning.
Anyways, here's my reasoning for going with 225/45 vs 225/40.

a) I've read having an extra bit of rubber in the sidewall will help reduce road harshness/noise from compared to a 225/40 which rides harder.

b) Rim protection, good to have an extra bit of rubber to help protect the rims from potholes and a bit of an extra lip to help curb age.

c) Wheel well fills out better. Since I'm mildly dropped with Mazdaspeed springs, I was weary of having that fat rim / skinny tire, big fender gap look. Seemed to make sense to get something slightly bigger to fill it in so it looks balanced.

Maybe you should get 225/40 and we can compare... that way when its time to replace tires in a couple of years we'll be able to compare.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
nice rims... and nice car pc :p

·
Registered
772 Posts
Looks noice! Good job!

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's wicked!!!

I wanted the Ultraleggera too... But I really didn't want to fender roll.... Now I'm missing out....

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
:thumbup:

I saw you drive by my work a few times. I thought they were 17s for some reason. I think the 225/45s with the thicker sidewalls make the rim look smaller.

But that's awesome though, because when I got my Ultraleggeras, I was torn between the silver and the black. Now I actually get to see what the silver ones look like on a silver 6 like mine.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's wicked!!!
I wanted the Ultraleggera too... But I really didn't want to fender roll.... Now I'm missing out....
Don't be afraid of fender rolling! Seriously, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is very difficult, rolling fenders is maybe 1.5. Just find someone renting a fender rolling tool in your area and you can do it yourself.

:thumbup:

I saw you drive by my work a few times. I thought they were 17s for some reason. I think the 225/45s with the thicker sidewalls make the rim look smaller.

But that's awesome though, because when I got my Ultraleggeras, I was torn between the silver and the black. Now I actually get to see what the silver ones look like on a silver 6 like mine.
You're probably right, so maybe when the tires wear out I'll get some 40s. But, so far I'm pretty happy with them.

The color on the receipt says "Titanium Crystal". Its more of a shiny silver metal color. I went with silver because I wanted the contrast with black tires and the ability to make out the pattern more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just had these finally installed today and yes, they rubbed when I turned into my work driveway going a little faster than usual. Stock height, 04' wagon.
225/45/18 goodyear F1 A/S tires, which if road noise is a concern for you, these tires are a little noisy. I only have 4 miles on them so far so we will see if that improves a little with some miles on them.

DJ

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK, they rub pretty bad. I picked up my wife from SFO yesterday and put three bags in the back. I need the rear quaters rolled as soon as possible.:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts