Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im one of the unfortunate ones that have the 03 models with the defective rotors that warped to hell.
i noticed it started to warp at around 28k on the car, and i still had roughly 50% on the stock pads. i took the car the dealers to try to have them replace the rotors as defective. they said nope, and told me it was fine and gave me the "could not duplicate problem" bull crap when i told them about them squeeking and jolting when applied.

now, only 9k later (currently have 37k on car), the rotors turned to hell and caught me off guard. they ate away the rest of the brake pads, HOLY CRAP!!! and by now my brakes make excessive grinding noise obviously. so i took it to another dealer, they said the front pads are at 0% which they are now, and the rotors are severely damaged and requires replacement. i told them ya damn right i need replacements, because the defective rotors caused the excessive wear on the pads. but they said it was not their responsibility and that the rotors were not defective. they were gonna charge me 480bux + tax and labor to replace the front rotors and pads.

i thot the hell with stock rotors! so i turned them down obviously. who the hell have ever heard of smoking 50% pads in 9k miles?!?! i mean sure i might have a heavy driving habit, but i drove like that the first 28k.

so, i looked around, didn't wanna spend over 250 bux on a new set of rotors + pads.
came across a decent looking set on ebay (none OE) and also offered dimple and slot service. so i thot maybe i'll try em out. so i picked up a set of 4 rotors today, after some basic inspection (well i dont know too much about brakes, but i used common sense i guess?) they appear to be some heavy duty stuff, shouldn't break on me. and i believe that dimples = yes, and cross-drilled = no no, correct? that's y i had them dimpled. im waiting on my new set of brake pads to come before installing.

i ordered a set of EBC Green Stuff pads for the front, i have 65% left on the rear so i didn't bother. i hope this combo will be much better than the stock set up. here's some pictures of one of the rotors i got. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I like the look of the slotted/simulated drilled, but I'm still a little weary of what they look like when the rotors begin warp from normal use.

I finally ordered new rotors today too. I got the Rotora OEM replacement rotors. I almost went with stock again since I don't want slotted or drilled. On a last second whim, I checked RPM and noticed they had $20 off a complete set of rotors. The cost ended up @ $250 shipped, which is what a set of stock rotors would have cost from a discounted stock parts seller.

I'm at about 38k still on the original rotors, and I kinda get a minor grind on the tail end of a slow stop. I'm also kinda annoyed with how my wheels are starting to get stuck to the rotor due to rust from the rotor. I replaced the pads with Hawk HPS in August and have been pretty happy for the most part. I was also patiently waiting to see if there was going to be a 2006 front brake caliper relocation mount so that I could use possibly use the slightly larger MZ3 (2006 MZ6) rotors, but it was time to replace the rotors.

·
Registered
905 Posts
and i believe that dimples = yes, and cross-drilled = no no, correct? that's y i had them dimpled. [/b]
Not quite. Dimpled is by far less of a problem than cross-drilled. However, you still have some of the same draw backs as a cross drilled rotors. I don't feel like explaining it atm and there should be an article somewhere i'll post it if i can find it.

Edit: duh, the links are in 84fordman's sticky. I wouldn't worry about it too much because these problems/concerns are mainly from a highly abusive driver's standpoint.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have slotted rotors on my '97 Sable. When I put a lot of pressure on the brakes, say for quick stops they make humming noise. Moderate to light braking they make no noise.

Your new rotors look very nice.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm... installed them today (fronts only) with bendix pads tempurarily cuz i need to drive the car. so far it makes a little bit of noise im guessing from the slots/dimples cuz it's not smoothed out at the edges yet and cuz both the rotors and the pads are so new, we'll see in a few days.

but other then that, braking is great so far, iono how much better if any it is compared to stock rotors and pads since i have had warped rotors for the past few months.

probably gonna get the rear ones installed sometime within the week, we'll see. but so far no problems

i'll also get some installed pix, i can't really see them right now cuz it's dark outside, i hope they look good too

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i love the slotted dimpled look...infact here's mine...:)

love the ebc's very nice feel.

and they will make a buzzing noise for quite awhile, infact mine still do and i have a couple hundred miles on them. i think ebc said something like 1k plus miles it would do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i love the slotted dimpled look...infact here's mine...:)

love the ebc's very nice feel.

and they will make a buzzing noise for quite awhile, infact mine still do and i have a couple hundred miles on them. i think ebc said something like 1k plus miles it would do that.
[/b]
thx for the heads up =P

and what rotors are you running?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
the ebc slotted and dimpled. from rpm. i got the green stuff pads up front with hawk hps pads(ebc not avaliable yet) on the rear. and i added the technafit lines, with some valvoline synthetic brake fluid. and the feel of my brakes is just incredible. and i love how it sounds when i slow down, like a airplane...haha. :D

oh, and i paid 450 for the rotors and pads from rpm. bought the lines for 70 bucks from a fellow 6cluber.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yes i need to wash my wheels, yes i need a car wash too, i was gonna wash them today after the install, but installing the rotors took more time then expected.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think... the calipers need to be cleaned and painted. ;)
[/b]
ya, i thot about doing that doing that sometime down the line, how would yellow look, think i can pull it off since i have a yellow car? or should i stick with red?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
ya, i thot about doing that doing that sometime down the line, how would yellow look, think i can pull it off since i have a yellow car? or should i stick with red?
[/b]
Yellow + Red = The hottnessssssss

I also have the EBC rotors, had them on for about 4k miles now and airplane noise is still there, but I love it ;).

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
I've had my drilled/slotted setup for going on 2 years almost now, and the rotors are holding up great. after 4 track days, and 2 autocross and about 28k i'm on my second set of pads and everything looks and feels great!

Like Az said, changing some of the other components helps a lot with pedal feel as well!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey bryan, i noticed you slots and drills turn the opposite way compared to mine and azmz's rotors, which way is it suppose to face?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hmm....mine go the opposite way too (opposite of Mr Tea's...)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmm.... was just looking at albert's 6 (blaeznazn), who also have rotoras. his also face the same way as Tea's

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
15 Participants
mbrogz3000
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing