Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my grille back from the paint shop today and he did an amazing job, the color is spot on! I think it looks amazing! Here ya go:

Let me know what ya think!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Niiiiice. :yesnod: Seeing that makes me so happy that I was in that group buy too. How much did painting run you? I've gotta find some time to get some quotes to get my grill and eyelids painted.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
yeat captmorgan, me to I'm working 9 hours every this week, sun is the next day I have off and most shops are closed
prob next weds at the earliest, looks good man, can't wait to get mine on!

·
Registered
254 Posts
your right, the paint job is perfect. I kind of like the look of that grill with out the mazda logo in the middle. nice work.

·
Registered
440 Posts
:drool: I HAD this grille but had to return it due to extraordinary circumstances :tear:. Glad yours turned out so well, it definitely looks great. I would like to see some pics from further away, just to show perfect it fits with the rest of the car. A front 3/4 view of the entire car would be perfect if you are taking requests ;).

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no prob on the pic requests. I'll get some new shots from further away tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
very very nice

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments!

The whole job ran me $100. At the time I thought it was a tad high but other shops were quoting me much higher and this was a guy who came recommended from my tint shop.

He also sanded it down, checked and fixed any small cracks or pin holes that he said were fairly common with fiberglass parts, filled all those, reprimed it and put on a very nice thick coat of paint and clearcoat.

Couldn't of asked for more! He will be my go to painter from now on for any jobs I might have...

That looks sweet, I ordered the last (damaged grill) from Falcontx, and I was hoping I would see one painted Steel Gray, before I got mine. I'm definitely going with the solid gray. Looks great.
[/b]
ya I was thinking of going black middle, grey outside, but now I am really glad I stuck with just grey, it really looks smooth...

·
Registered
274 Posts
ya I was thinking of going black middle, grey outside, but now I am really glad I stuck with just grey, it really looks smooth...
[/b]
Exactly. I will now be painting mine all grey too. I've seen some with the black in the middle, and it does look cool. But I think it looks better on Redfire, or Lapis Blue etc.

Also, more pics please :yesnod:

·
Registered
118 Posts
po...what paint shop is this?....and who would i ask for in particular?...would appreciate the info..thanx!!

Thanks for the comments!

The whole job ran me $100. At the time I thought it was a tad high but other shops were quoting me much higher and this was a guy who came recommended from my tint shop.

He also sanded it down, checked and fixed any small cracks or pin holes that he said were fairly common with fiberglass parts, filled all those, reprimed it and put on a very nice thick coat of paint and clearcoat.

Couldn't of asked for more! He will be my go to painter from now on for any jobs I might have...
[/b]

·
Registered
440 Posts

[/b]
:swearin: THAT SUCKS MUCH!! Why? Sorry for the apparent thread-jack but here is my LONG explanation...

I bought this grille from the very latest RPM group buy as well. I "lucked out" and was supposed to get the last of the perfect grille's. For whatever reason, through shipping when I got my grille it had about 5 noticeable hairline cracks and it appeared a few others may be there or developing. I told Donny at RPM about immediately (that guy is great :yesnod:), and let him know I was going to shop it around the body shops in my area to get their estimate.

I went to 4 shops, all 4 of which told me that they could not or would not repair the grille because 1) by their estimation it would either cost more to fix than I spent on the grille itself; 2) they didn't feel they could fix finish it properly w/o perhaps doing further damage; 3) they didn't think it was in my best interest in the short or long run considering the piece seemed delicate and already had cracks just from shipping. The last shop I went to actually recommended one final shop to me. He said they were excellent with fiberglass work/repair and sepcialized in all sorts of restorations.

This WOULD have been shop# 5. I went there immediately. The lady who did most of their estimates said that it looked fixable, any fiberglass that wasn't fully crunched can be taken care of, but the one guy at their shop who did all of their fiberglass work was out running errands, come back in a half-hour. Keep in mind, all of this was during a work day afternoon (Friday). I ended up going back about 2 hours later. AGAIN, I had just missed this guy, by minutes!! I went back to work, and figured I would stop by again on my way home. Got there at around 4:15PM and you guessed it, he had just left again to take parts over to another of their shops in a neighboring town, and he wasn't going to be returning. The clerk told me to come back Monday :tear:.

By this point I was obviously fed up :thefing:. I had taken time out of my work day to travel to 5 different body shops, 4 of which gave me the impression I was up sh!ts creek. I took it all as a sign from God that it just wasn't meant to be, and that the grille was a cursed evil that needed to be returned from my ownership. I had updated Donny at RPM each step of the way and he told me I could return it full refund, no problem :angel:. That is what I did, with great remorse :(. Just yesterday the grille was sent back to RPM, and I am sure in no time it will be in someone elses hands, fixed up beautifully and looking great on someone elses ride :sarc:. Apparently, I should have kept it, sent it all the away the way across the country to your people who know what the F they are doing, and had it sent back to me. AAAAaaaaaagh!! :slap:.

Really I don't think it would have been this simple though anyway. I did test fit the grille and for whatever reason there was a good size gap between it and hood, enough for me to stick a finger easily through no matter how I tried to position or work it :headscrat:. Again, just a sign things were not meant to be.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
19 Participants
drew6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing