Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my MPS6 about two months ago. I have always owned V8'
s before. But I now have a new found respect for turbo 4cyl. Needless to say i am lost when it comes to trying to upgrade. There are a few things I am wanting to do thouhg. And any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Can anybody explain to me where and how to increase the boost?

2. What is the first upgrade I should do?

3. What type of intake should I get? And will it void the warranty?

4. As far as BOV's where should I go to get one?

5. Do I need a turbo timer and boost gauge? If so what to get?

6. What the heck is a boost controller? And where does it go?

So you can see I need help. I am dazed and confused. But one thing I do know is that I love this car. If I left anything out just let me know. I want to get a list together so I can make a plan. Is the a site out there that would have booko parts for theses cars. Also I am in the Orlando area. So looking for clubs to also help get me along. Thanks ever so much.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I do recommend the corky bell maximum boost book. However, here are some answers to your questions.

1. Increasing boost on our car stock really isn't the way to gain good power. The reason is that the turbo is rather small and in order to increase boost you are going out of it's efficiency map. Results can be bad, book explains that in more details.

2. First upgrade depends on what you want sound wise, performance wise, etc. I personally recommend the intake first: you will see slight gains, get the BOV sound, and it's realatively cheaper than other upgrades.

3. All up to which design you like better and the price. There are currently 4 on the market Fujita/CP-E/AEM/Mazdaspeed. Void warranty, well they will all void the warranty if you submerge it in water. Closest one is the mazdaspeed intake and it comes with a piece of paper saying that if you submerge it and blow the engine it's your fault. However, I have heard of people with the CP-E not having problems with dealers.

4. Depends on which BOV you want. Be sure you get an adapter so it will fit on the MS6. So far the Greddy RS has an adapter and the HKS SSQ does. The HKS seems to have a lot more install issues but I prefer the sound of it over the Greddy. It's all up to you. Check our sponsors web sites for a good deal.

5. A. I definetly recommend a boost guage. Definetly must if you are thinking of upping the boost. If you click on my name and go to the garage you can see the gauges I run. I have had good luck with autometer/defi. Check the forum for others.

B. As for a turbo timer if you are really worried about that just let the car idle for 30 seconds before shutting it off. That's if your driving it hard. I also recommend a premium oil. I use mobil 1 but am switching to amsoil shortly. Both are full synthetic oils.

6. A boost controller will allow you to set more boost for you car. Lets say you wanted to run 18psi of boost instead of 16psi. It will hold the wastegate closed until you hit 18psi and then open. Stock it opens at 16psi. It goes between the vac/boost line that goes to the wastegate on the turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts