Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6. Even though it wasn't the utilitarian car I'm supposed to get, I really love the car and don't regret it. The handling is very sharp and the motor is extremely great.

Since I've been driving Hondas all my life, I really don't know jack about Mazdas when it comes to things to look out for and replace and just basic info. I looked through the new owners thread looking for information and it helped a lot but I still need have a lot of questions.

1) I'm going to send my car in to my friend's garage for a basic oil/fluid change. Is there anything I should have him check or replace while it's on a lift? Also, the car is almost to 50k and is there routine maintenance done that is required?

2) I'm not planning to modify the car but are there worthy aftermarket parts out there that help with the longevity of the car such as a turbo-timer?

3) Does every Mazda have the plastic button problem where its sticky as hell?

4) Is there a OEM lip available?

5) Can anyone recommend a good leather patching kit for small tears on the upholstery?

6) I have heard that Mazda cuts out the factory warranty at 50K. Is there a way I can run the VIN number to the dealership and see if there has been a recall on the car? Is there any free service or maintenance I can get at the dealership before the warranty expires?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
884 Posts
congrats on the car it's a lot of fun.

1. check the motor mounts, diff mounts and what not. If you have heard any clunking it could be these.

2. Aftermarket mounts are a good idea you could do a search to see which ones would work best for you. A turbo timer I feel is a waste of money, just wait a little bit if you've been driving the car hard before you turn it off.

3. I'm not sure what the plastic sticky button problem is, what button are you talking about?

4. There is no OEM lip but there are options out there such has the home depot lip (cheap) or more expensive aftermarket ones.

5. I don't know any off the top of my head sorry.

6. You could bring it into a dealer that you like to have them check it out and see if there are any problems that they could take care of for you. Whole bunch of TSB's that are around this site somewhere that you could check to see if it was done.

hope this was helpful! OH also let it idle for a while to see if the turbo smokes, if it does bring it up to the dealership to see if they would replace it for you underwarranty.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Check to see if the transfer case is leaking.
Yeah I did the Home Depot lip for like $12.
Sorry, shot is kinda far, but hopefully you can see the 'effects'.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the speeds dont like to hit full boosted below 3 k, this usually happens when in the higher gears cruising 5th and 6th. the most common ways that a speed engine fails is when someone has the pedal planted at 2k rpm in 6th gear. just something to think about lol, i wouldnt worry too much

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help

1) I'll take a trip to the dealership before it hits 50K and find out if its missing any recalls or whatever. Is there any locations on the car that I should focus on or tell them to check?

2) I'll have my friend check out the motor mounts when its on the lift.

3) As far as the "sticky-buttons" issue. The center console and especially the remote have the tendency not to pop back up after you press it. It feels like the rubber padding underneath the buttons that help it pop back up is worn out. I wanted to know if Mazda's plastics are like that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the speeds dont like to hit full boosted below 3 k, this usually happens when in the higher gears cruising 5th and 6th. the most common ways that a speed engine fails is when someone has the pedal planted at 2k rpm in 6th gear. just something to think about lol, i wouldnt worry too much

What do you mean? I usually am around 2.5K-3K when I'm on 5th and 6th gear in the freeway and I'm usually doing around 75-80MPH. Are you talking about people who smash on the pedal at 6th gear around 2.5/3K instead of downshifting?

·
Registered
29 Posts
What do you mean? I usually am around 2.5K-3K when I'm on 5th and 6th gear in the freeway and I'm usually doing around 75-80MPH. Are you talking about people who smash on the pedal at 6th gear around 2.5/3K instead of downshifting?
He is talking about WOT (wide open throttle). This is bad as it is too hard on the engine. Think back to pushing foot to the floor with your Honda and the shaking until it downshifted (if you had the manual). In the MS6, the turbo will kick in without a high enough RPM. Your highway cruising is fine. If you want to pass gently you can keep it in 6th gear. If you want to really pass, then downshift to 5th when doing 70.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 07's only have 36k mile bumper to bumper. the 06's have the 50k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off I'd like to say thanks for everyone's input.

I checked out the New Owner's thread before I started my first post, but I had a lot more questions that I had to ask.

I went to the dealership and they said that the car was up to date but the 4 years or 40K miles warranty ran out already. I was disappointed by that but I do have a 1 year warranty from the dealer I bought the car from.

I'll probably do some light mods in the future like sticky tires and suspension bits but I want to do the maintenance and upkeep part of the car first such as fluid and filter changes and replacing parts as needed. Is there anything else I should do to get the car up to 100%?

I hear a lot about the motor mounts and I wanted to know how to diagnose that problem and how important it is to do in regards to necessity.

The previous owner was a smoker and there's a few burns on the headliner. I wanted to know if anyone knew like a spray or repair kit that color matches burn marks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts