Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<blockquote>Just wanted to introduce myself. I just purchased a new 2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT. It is Vivid Red Mica with the Black and White leather interior. Only option was the sunroof(the kids wanted it).
</blockquote>My name is Wayne Wilson,38yrs old. I live in Harford County Maryland, I am married and I have four kids all under 12. This is my first Mazda, and I am enjoying it. I have owned almost all Ford, or Lincoln-Mercury in the past and present. My other car, the family wagon, is a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, V8 AWD, with seating for seven.
I bought the MS6 as a more mature and less costly alternative to the EVO and STI. The combo of the Red Exterior, first red car ever, and the Blk and Wht Leather interior really helped seal the deal.
Only 1500 miles so far. I haven't opened it up totally yet, but I am impressed so far. I am looking forward to making some subtle changes, first to the exterior and the interior. Just some trim changes to better match the colors in and out. I have a several parts on the way and will update as I install them. I'll end here as I have probably bored more than enough of you. Thanks for the time.​

·
Registered
721 Posts
yes, welcome to the board. You'll find info on just about any topic as we are a pretty active community. Enjoy using the search... you'll be at it for a while. I know i was.

·
Registered
97 Posts
dont understand why everyone compares the speed6 to an STI or EVO. its nowhere even close. the ms6 is more in the class of the legacy or audi a4 or bmw 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking for a awd turbo 6-speed sedan. I prefered the performance of the EVO over all others, but I drive 100 miles a day on I-95 through Baltimore, so comfort was also important. The clincher was the value, just couldn't be beat.

The performance of the Legacy GT is not that sharp, great engine though. I did consider a used Audi S4 or BMW M3, but couldn't find a suitable candidate.

Besides, the MS6 meets all of my needs, it runs like stink, it looks the part but won't alert the law, except for the Red Paint of course, it has tuning potential, it is unique and introduces some cool new technologies.

The only flaws so far, and I expected all of these going in, are:

The people responsible for the clutch engagement need to have thier heads examined. Hopefully with the intro of the MS3, we will see a fix. In the mean time I am taking it as a personal challenge to master this thing.

Next up, who designed this Exhaust. Not only did they through in two exits when we only needed one, but then they forgot to finish it.
I think I have a relatively painless fix in the works. Just need to order the parts.

And Finally. How do they, the manufactures, produce turbocharged performance automobiles without a boost gauge? And Mazda is not alone in this.
I have one on the way, yeah!!

That ends my rant for now. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was looking for a awd turbo 6-speed sedan. I prefered the performance of the EVO over all others, but I drive 100 miles a day on I-95 through Baltimore, so comfort was also important. The clincher was the value, just couldn't be beat.[/b]
I don't see this as a stretch...the STI was what got me started. The ugly ass wing on the back kept me from test driving it though. I did test drive a Spec B before this though...5 speed, lack of Xenon lights, crappola XM and a dealership not wanting to give me a decent price on my trade kept me from purchasing. It's been 1 and 1/2 months and it's still sitting on the lot :)

The only flaws so far, and I expected all of these going in, are:

The people responsible for the clutch engagement need to have thier heads examined. Hopefully with the intro of the MS3, we will see a fix. In the mean time I am taking it as a personal challenge to master this thing.[/b]
Join the club...if you look at other posts, someone stated they drove an 07 which fixed the problem. You will get used to it in time...but then it makes driving other manuals difficult (I feel I need to relearn my Jeep every time I get in).

Next up, who designed this Exhaust. Not only did they through in two exits when we only needed one, but then they forgot to finish it. I think I have a relatively painless fix in the works. Just need to order the parts.
[/b]
I'm all for the two exits...I just need to wait until a 3" pipe comes out that uses both holes. Last thing I want is to only see the steam coming out of one outlet in the back come winter. :doh:

Anyway...welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Whoa... somebody in my age bracket! hehe
Welcome bro... you'll definately enjoy the car.
I live just south of baltimore, about 30 mins. You said you drive through Baltimore everyday? Where do you work? I work right downtown off of Euthaw and Martin Luther king Blvd.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Whoa... somebody in my age bracket! hehe
[/b]
I'm in the age bracket...but I live in that place that runs through Egypt. You know, De Nile.

·
Registered
77 Posts
dont understand why everyone compares the speed6 to an STI or EVO. its nowhere even close. the ms6 is more in the class of the legacy or audi a4 or bmw 3.
[/b]
Because most people won't compare a Mazda to Audi or BMW, It can however be compared to Subaru and Mitsubishi more easily. MS6 kills a new Gallant (not the old VR-4 ones tho) hehe. And Subaru...well they're just ugly...(I have a 2001 Subaru, you couldnt pay me to buy a new one)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Because most people won't compare a Mazda to Audi or BMW, It can however be compared to Subaru and Mitsubishi more easily[/b]
no it can't. sorry. it just can't. a speed6 is nowhere near the performance of an STI. not even close. not even in the same universe. light and nimble STIs will run rings around the chubby speed6 and leave it in the dust. and yes I have driven them both. quite frankly any comparison between a speed6 and an STI or EVO is simply ridiculous and anyone claiming a speed6 is actual competition for an STI or EVO is delusional.

i dont think even mazda stated it was competing with EVOs or STIs, didn't mazda state they were going after the luxury sport sedan market -- which would be BMW 3 and Audi A4...

·
Registered
275 Posts
no it can't. sorry. it just can't. a speed6 is nowhere near the performance of an STI. not even close. not even in the same universe. light and nimble STIs will run rings around the chubby speed6 and leave it in the dust. and yes I have driven them both. quite frankly any comparison between a speed6 and an STI or EVO is simply ridiculous and anyone claiming a speed6 is actual competition for an STI or EVO is delusional.

i dont think even mazda stated it was competing with EVOs or STIs, didn't mazda state they were going after the luxury sport sedan market -- which would be BMW 3 and Audi A4...
[/b]
EDITED: As the post could have been interpreted as offensive, which was not the intent.

It doesn't look like he was talking about performance in that post. He looked to be talking about manufacturers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats RedMS6. I too am older and decided on the MS6 instead of the EVO in which I had all intentions of buying. I think it must be the younger kids that get all keyed up about how can you compare the EVO or STI to the MS6. To me and to you too it was compared. IMO I like the EVO much better than the STI especially the looks. I set out to buy an EVO bedcause I love them and so does my Son. The I started to compare lots of cars EVO,STI,G35,AltimaSER, LGT,SpecB,TL,TSX and MS6. I already owned a 02 S4 and loved it ( my MS6 is faster though ) I also love the M3. I didn't want used and didn't want to spend the money on a new S4 or M3. I really don't like the LGT or the Spec B ,they were good cars but UGLY.

It came down to the EVO and MS6. I am no race car driver nor am I going to race anyone ( not yet anyway ) so the way I drive there was not much difference in performance for me. My friend has an STI and he drove mine and said its just about as fast as his and handles excellent. I chose the MS6 for a mulitude of reasons ,but the sealer was the red metalic paint. I am an waxaholic and detail my car every week and I can't tell you how many compliments I get with my car and especially the paint job. I got the sport because I personally hate sunroofs and all the Gt had them and besides I only wanted red. I don't like the way wax gets around the sunroof , I love the look of the roofline with no sunroof too. I thought I would miss the leather though and that black & white leather looks awesome.But you know the seat sin the sport grow on you almost EVO looking. I always store my cars in the winter so heated seats were of no use.

Anyway I don't care what anyone thinks ,i love the MS6 and YES I compare it to an STI or EVO :nana:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I cross shopped the evo and test drove one as well. Yes it felt a little faster, but overall the ms6 was the better package. Speed and performance were my top deciding factors, but thats not to say that I would be willing to totally disregard comfort, fit, finish and overall appearance. When considering the overall package the ms6 beats the evo and the sti hands down IMO.

·
Registered
437 Posts
yep... exactly.
I was actually looking at the M3. That is my "quam". lol
But, alas... two kids, wife that "needs" other things besides cool cars.

haha....looks like there are lot of old folks like us who can afford the EVO/STI but get the MS6 instead :)
[/b]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well first thank you for the kind welcome. Glad to see some of us more "mature" types here. Mature as men with fast cars can be!!

Who knew people would get so worked up over the cars I considered before I picked my MS6? All the cars mentioned are worth owning if they meet your needs. The MS6 met my needs, and I am having a blast with it.

I drive through Baltimore, usually I-895. I work in Hanover, off of RT 100. I commute about 100 miles a day.

I have to agree with you on the Red color. The paint on this thing is awesome. Pictures do not do it justice.

Again thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to learning with the rest of you.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have to agree with you on the Red color. The paint on this thing is awesome. Pictures do not do it justice.

[/b]
The paint is awesome. But chips very very easily. It makes me cry. In 5000 miles ive managed to get 7 small chips. I recommend you examine your hood after a few long drives.

·
Registered
651 Posts
haha....looks like there are lot of old folks like us who can afford the EVO/STI but get the MS6 instead :)
[/b]
I think mine stickered higher actually. I thought the EVO just looked low rent on the interior (for the high price) and my wife thought the STI was too small (would have considered the limited with the small wing, as I outgrew the boyish spoiler once I hit 17).

Personally, I think there's something in the cross shopping of these...

·
Registered
940 Posts
I cross shopped the evo and test drove one as well. Yes it felt a little faster, but overall the ms6 was the better package. Speed and performance were my top deciding factors, but thats not to say that I would be willing to totally disregard comfort, fit, finish and overall appearance. When considering the overall package the ms6 beats the evo and the sti hands down IMO.
[/b]
same here - I test drove both on the same day. The comfort and nice interior were more important than the extra oomph (which would just increase the chance for tickets).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts