Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my name is Ricky and I'm strongly considering the 2003 Mazda 6s as my next car. I currently own a red 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. Once it is sold or a dealership will give me a decent trade-in value, I hope to be in a Redfire 5M. I have some comments and questions as I've been watching the forum for the past few days. First my question: I saw a blue 6s in a dealer showroom that had the clear tail lights and a "V6" badge on both front quarter panels. I have seen this no where else on any North American 6's. I haven't asked the dealership because they always send me to the same guy that I tried to do business with and he isn't very competent. Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me because I love the side badging and especially the clear tail lights. Now to my comment: about 5 years ago I fell in love with a car named the Ford SVT Contour. It was a less-than-successful four-dour sedan on steroids much like the Mazda 6. It had a V6 Duratec block rated at 2.5L and 200HP. It handled like it was on rails and came with a slick 5M tranny, leather upholstery, and an optional sunroof. This sounds all-to-familiar to me. Has Ford brought back the SVT Contour with better skin and advertising? Most of you probably aren't even familiar with the model I am talking about. It ran from 1998-2000 on very limited production and the Contour nameplate died after the 2001 model year. Anyway, just thought I would make that thought public. I am looking forward to spending time on this forum and hopefully getting to know my new car with your help. Thanks.

-Ricky

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: NEW MEMBER

Welcome aboard!

Whew, that's a lot to cover. But let's see...

The clear taillights are not a North American thing. If you are not happy with someone, you can either call the dealership and/or speak directly to the manager. If it's real bad, talk to the guy and get his hours. Then, call when he's not there!

I think you'd be suprised with the familarity of the SVT Contour around here. We've had Contour owners visit, as well as many people who are familiar with the cars. The V6 of the '6 is based on the Duratec, which is a nice link between the two areas, but that's about where the similarities stop. The '6 is a new platform, and it is one that Ford will be adopting, not the other way around (one that was based on the Contour).

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Applejax is right on! For some, the 6 is a logical next step for Contour owners. The guys over at CEG (www.contour.org) are well aware of the 6 and many are considering making a trade. CEG members have done great work on Duratec R&D and I think we're lucky to have them. Even though the head designs are different, a few companies who have made aftermarket accessories for the 'tour , including turbo and supercharger kits, are considering making ones for the 6, most notably, Duratec Performance.

The CSVT was a car before its time. For the cost of the car, it outdid any other car in its class in power and handling. Its Ford's fault that the nameplate and the car died, eventually leading to Ford finding a replacement for the CDW27 platform. And that platform is the Mazda 6!

Welcome, and I hope you choose the 6 as your next vehicle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Replying to Topic 'NEW MEMBER'

Hi greennugs!

I had a contour SVT 98 for three years and sold it two weeks ago...
Now I'm riding in a M6s 5M and having a lot of fun!

Please go and read a first impression comparo of my SVT and the M6:

http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=3696

(under General/Consumer reviews/...)

Glad my "review" could be of some help for someone ..!

feel free to give me some feedback!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Oups...

I just saw you are the one that responded to me!

Sorry for the link then..

·
Registered
22 Posts

I used to own an SVT Contour as well....a '98 E0. I have some very fond memories of that car: evil-sounding exhaust note, agressive handling, serious acceleration capabilities. I also have some less-than-fond memories: never getting over 25mpg (probably because my right foot was always glued to the floor) and constantly having to feed it expensive premium fuel, broken water pumps, unreliable stereo system, sticking accelerator pedal, faulty mass airflow sensor, a moonroof that developed a mind of its own, various creaks, groans, and squeaks from both the body and the interior, tires that wore out nearly immediately and cost a bloody fortune to replace (BFGoodrich g-Force KDW's...never again); downright frightening handling on anything other than dry pavement, an abusive ride, grounding out the front fascia during moderately aggressive corning......I gave up and sold the car after 45,000 relatively painful miles.

All told, the SVT Contour was a nice idea, but the execution left much to be desired. That said, there wasn't much else on the road in 1997/1998 for $20,000 that could even come close to matching its performance.

My '98 SVT was silver with a midnight blue leather interior. The Mazda6 I just ordered is silver with black leather....not a coincidence! I expect the 6 to deliver a similar driving experience as my old SVT Contour....but hopefully without the impracticality and lack of reliability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes. My Stealth is going into Auto Trader on Tuesday, so hopefully I will get it sold soon. As for the tail lights and side markings, I guess I'll have to call the dealership and see what is the story. Thanks again.

-Ricky

·
Registered
541 Posts

Some V6's have a "V6" badge on the front door...some don't...mine doesn't. The taillights are not North American. Actually there are alot of people here who are looking to buy them. You could probably get an even trade for them from someone here....but then 2 people wouldn't be able to drive their cars for a few days, but you'd have them at least.

·
Registered
895 Posts

You're getting rid of a TT stealth?!?!

Yikes... my heart would be breaking.

Have you posted on 3si.org at all?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

duh, how come you guys havent told them the tailights are a dealer accessory, and the v6 badge was added to 6S's after jan (i think)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I found out yesterday that the tail lights are a dealer installed accessory and the "V6" badge is standard on the 6s now. Also, I have posted on 3si.org and contour.org in the past. I listed my car for sale on 3si with no bites. It was also listed on a Maxima forum at one time. As for the guy wondering why I'm parting with my Stealth: I've put nearly 15 grand into her and she still needs about another 10 grand to be where I would like. I'm 19 years old and just getting started in college, so the last thing I need is a money pit. Don't get me wrong, I love that car. Her name is Christine and we've had some times together...doing 156mph was one of them, but I've had worse times. Like when it sat up for 3 months to get the engine/turbos or 2 months to get the tranny. I want something that will start every morning and that I can have some fun with in between. I believe that car is the Mazda 6. OK, enough of my ranting. I do have another question for you guys. My car is in the local newspaper for sale and I've had Auto Trader and another service call me trying to get me to list with them. The other service is called Time Shares By Owner I think. The guy told me they have researchers who find rare and hard-to-find cars and list them for their clients. He told me that my car was in very high demand with their clients and he could guarantee it sold in 30 days. If not they would continue to run it at their cost. He also said that my car should sell between 7 and 21 days and that I should raise my asking price to $7200 from $6500. They bring the buyers to me, but it's $99 to list. Do you guys know anything about these kinds of service? Sorry for the long post.

-Ricky

·
Registered
81 Posts

downright frightening handling on anything other than dry pavement, an abusive ride, ...[/b]
If you think the ride of your SVT was "abusive", then don't buy a Mazda6, the suspension is stiffer. Are you talking about the stock SVT suspension?
IMHO it's one of the best comfort/performance match I tried.

BTW, what's your ride, now?

Frank
M6 man. screaming yellow, full.

·
Registered
341 Posts

I don't think there's anything abusive about the 6's ride, and as far as less than perfect road handling is concerned, this thing handles like a dream. My trip through that snow storm this winter, where I was about the only car in CT, NY, NJ, DE, and MD not stuck or flipped over proved the capabilities of this car to handle snow. I was averaging 55-60 mph through the worst of it with out a single problem. As for sand on the road, I got to test that this weekend on my way back from VT. Going down Rt 103 passing a line of cars when around a corner a car coming the other way forced me into the breakdown lane on HIS side (I was doing about 105) where it was covered in sand left over from the winter. Well, getting back into my own lane was a little hair raising, back end almost tried to out race the front end, but with a little effort I was able to get it back under control headed in the right direction, and most importantly, back into my lane. It rained last night for the first time since I've been back, so I took it easy in the corners. I'll have to get back to you on the wet handling.

Joe

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Uh, sorry, but that sounds a awefully reckless to me.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: NEW MEMBER

Yeah, passing a "line" of cars is risky on a two lane road, especially if you are not familiar with the road (which it sounds like in this case). But like Absolut said, it's a good thing you're okay and apparently everyone else in the line of cars.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by PSU F4i

Some V6's have a "V6" badge on the front door...some don't...mine doesn't.  The taillights are not North American.  Actually there are alot of people here who are looking to buy them.  You could probably get an even trade for them from someone here....but then 2 people wouldn't be able to drive their cars for a few days, but you'd have them at least.[/b]
Mine does.

Don't know about the tail lights though... clear? My signal lights are clear, as is my spoiler brake light, but not the regular brake lights.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: NEW MEMBER

[pedistal activate] Wreckless? No, not really. I don't do these things sur of the moment, I think things through before doing them. The plan for a car coming around the corner was to jump into the break down lane, and it worked flawlessly. It's the people out there that do things without first thinking of what might mess up their plans that make it "wreckless" to do some things. Most people would have not thought about the possibility of a car coming the other way, and when it did, would have locked up their brakes and had a head-on with said car, OR jerked the wheel (left or right) and spun around making for one exciting time for all involved. Some round every corner with a plan in the case of a kid playing in the road at the other end, or traffic stopped at the crest of every hill. Those people are not wreckless, but they appear to be to those that do not fore-think their actions. [ /pedistal]

Okay, with that said, I was prepared for the car that came around the corner. I knew where I was going in that even AND where I would go if he made the same decision. I was only doing 105 because I was passing a line of cars, but was not intending to pass all of them. Predictably, they closed up so I couldn't merge until I passed ALL of them, like lemmings will do, and I was prepared for them to do it. I was travelling at moderate 65 when I encountered the row of cars travelling under the speed limit for the road (55mph) and waited until I was confident I had the space to pass at least 3 of the 4 cars before having to swing back in, and down shifted, accellerated, and passed.

I appologize if this sounds (reads?) harsh, I have had a few to drink tonight, so I may have lost my filter. I am just stating the facts of the situation, which I should have stated to begin with. So I take the blame for the misunderstanding.

Joe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts