Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...the main car that I have been looking at the past year has been the Acura RSX Type S. I know a hell of a lot about that car.....and I have done my research and I know most of what there is to know about that. I also post at clubrsx.com

Now, the Mazda 6 is growing on me more and more...and since this is a 4-door, it might be easier for me to get in terms of insurance and cost. I hope to be an owner of a Mazda 6 S

I hope to learn more about the car on this site, but I do have questions

A) Atenza? Is this the name of the car in Japan?
B) When exactly was the car released?
C) I hear the 0-60 times are 6.8 but someone told me that was incorrect.
D) How quick is the cars 1/4 mile time? (6-S)

I'll probably have more, but just some to get me more familiar with this hot looking car.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'New Member with a bunch of Newbie Questions'

Welcome, stranger-with-the-funny-name!:D

1. Yes, Atenza is the Japanese name, the rest of the world know it as Mazda6. (No space between the Mazda and the 6).
2. It was released in June in Japan, July/Aug/Sept/Oct in Europe and Asia and in December in the US. The US version is produced in Flat Rock, Michigan, and they've not yet begun production of other than the Sedan body type.

For the other questions, see those many discussions on that issue. One place to begin is here:

http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=496&page=1

good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

hey thanks...

my username is a nickname....Kabz because my name is Kabir.

How much of it is Japanese and how much American?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That depends on where you are. Only North America has a local plant, the rest of the world get the car from Japan.

And even when it's being build in the US, many parts are probably imported from Japan, even though the car is assembled in Flat Rock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well.....I'm in South Florida.
Can you give me the percentages?
This IS considered an Import right? After all it is a Mazda.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

While we're on the topic of newbie questions, here's a major one:
Whats the difference between Mazda and Mazdaspeed?
Why do people say Mazdaspeed sometimes when referring to a Protegé, whereas others just say Mazda?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Can't really give any percentages, but I'd say that most parts except for the body itself and some other sheet metal is being shipped over. It would be too costy otherwise, and most plastics etc. are built by subcontractors.

Mazdaspeed are Mazdas with a bit attitude. They are hotted up, so to speak. Originally being a mod-shop, Mazdaspeed is now owned by Mazda.

A Mazdaspeed Protegé to take an example has a fresh interior with white gauges and some nice colors on the leather / dash etc. And it has more power than the standard protegé.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I see.....so it was a tuning shop that got bought out by Mazda?
Never seen that done before

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

For stats, I would see the Febuary issue of Road and Track where the do a manual tranny sedan test with the 6. As for 0-60, R&T and C&D have the 6 doing a 0-60 in 6.67 and 6.8 respectively. So the real world 0-60 is prob about 7 sec or so if you not over revving the engine. 1/4 mile stats from R&T are 15.53sec at 94.21 mph. Like Honda, Mazda puts crappy michelin tires on the car, so those stats are with the pilot HX MXV4. I was also stronly considering the RSX, but the 6 is certainly more car for the money. I also had problems fitting comfortably in the RSX. I don't have my window stick inf front of me, but the 6, like the Accord, Altima, and Camry (see a theme anyone?) is not considered a import b/c ~70% of the car is built in the U.S., which in turn makes it cheaper. Thats doesn't mean the quality is not as good, as the design was all done in Japan and build quality has to meet Japanese standards.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This upsets me

So what will the car be considered? A domestic? Hell no! An Import? How can it be if you say its 70% American. :wtf

·
Registered
262 Posts

Why does it matter so much to you if it's an import or not? That really shouldn't matter in my opinion...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well.......I am a fan of Japanese cars. The Mazda6 takes care of that.
But when classifying it.....what would it be?
I can't call it a domestic...so?

·
Registered
514 Posts

I cans ee where your fears lie... I also don't have any faith in "American" cars. All I can say is, drive the 6s. You'll fall in love in an instant. Note the many reviews that are out there... almost all of the reviews mention how this car has a German feel to it. I've heard very many people say "steers like a 330ci" or "Euro-taut handling".... personally, I think this car has the interior feel that is a cross between an Audi and a Bimmer, for half the entry cost. I mean, wow. Then consider the driving dynamics. Mazda managed to make a car feel substantil without feeling heavy at the same time. The engine sounds sweet, the automanual transmission shofts like the IS300 5-speed auto (silky-smooth) and the looks... don't even get me started!

Really, drive the car and you'll be far less afraid of the location of assembly... also consider the fact that one of the most dependable (if not THE most) cars in America is the Camry, which is also built in the U.S.

good luck with your purchase decision,
-Alt

PS, for what it's worth... I drive a modded 300ZX Twin Turbo, and I like this car's sportiness. That should say something.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Originally posted by PimpDaddyKABZ
This upsets me

So what will the car be considered? A domestic? Hell no! An Import? How can it be if you say its 70% American. :wtf[/b]
LOL

With globalization in the auto industry, the line between import and domestic are no longer clear. The Honda Accord is designed in Japan, but is built in America by Americans, sourced mainly from American parts and American labor. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the quantity of domestic parts in the car was high enough that the EPA in fact considered it a DOMESTIC car. So which is it? Is the Accord an import or a domestic? One of the few trouble spots in the Accord V6 was the transmission. Where was the transmission sourced from? JAPAN! Oh the irony!! hehe

So I wouldn't worry about what the Mazda6 is considered. The only thing I really worry about is who is behind the DESIGN of the car. Even though Mazda is owned by Ford, MAZDA is the one controlling the design, and I think that ultimately that will put Japanese quality control on the car and that it will be a reliable car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks for clearing some things up......but I'm confused as hell (still)

The VIN # on thecar starts with J?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

To better answer you question, I pulled the window sticker out of my glove box. according to the sticker (I have a U.S. Mazda6 s 5speed manual) 53% of the parts are U.S./Canadian, 28% from Japan, and 16% from Mexico. As I understand it, the engine block comes from Ford, the engine guts(heads, cams, pistons, VVT, CPU) comes from Japan, as well as the transmission. The body is most likely as U.S. parts, as that would be a bitch to ship. As for suspension and other parts, not sure. Only Japanese luxury brands such as Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are still 100% made in Japan if you live in the U.S., and even then, some lux SUV's are made hear. Nissan, Honda, Toyota and Mazda make most of there U.S. vehicles here in North America. I think some of the Mazda Protege's may still be made in Japan. Where the car is made now adays to me is pointless. Hell, Most VW's are made in Mexico, the BMW X5 is made in the U.S. along with the Z4. Many American cars are made in Canada or Mexico. What is funny to me is, that Japanese cars that are made in the U.S. are just as reliable as there overseas counterparts, and they are made with U.S. parts and Labor. So why can't U.S. domestic manufacturers make a quality vehicle? The only difference is the Management, and that to me speaks volumes about the mindset of the "Traditional" American car company. Oh, my Vin # starts with 1YFP, if that helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for the reply.....

"Oh, my Vin # starts with 1YFP, if that helps. "

can anyone translate that? I know when it starts with J = Japan.....so whats this one?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

All Mazda passenger cars under USA and Canada Specs are identified with the World Manufacture Identifer of JM1, except the Mazda 6 which carries a 1YM and 626 1YV. The 1 meaning North America.

Here is a web site that explains VINs but it hasn't been up dated in awhile.

VINs

·
Registered
158 Posts

Originally posted by SteVTEC

With globalization in the auto industry, the line between import and domestic are no longer clear.  The Honda Accord is designed in Japan, but is built in America by Americans, sourced mainly from American parts and American labor.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken the quantity of domestic parts in the car was high enough that the EPA in fact considered it a DOMESTIC car.  So which is it?  Is the Accord an import or a domestic?  One of the few trouble spots in the Accord V6 was the transmission.  Where was the transmission sourced from?  JAPAN!  Oh the irony!!  hehe

So I wouldn't worry about what the Mazda6 is considered.  The only thing I really worry about is who is behind the DESIGN of the car.  Even though Mazda is owned by Ford, MAZDA is the one controlling the design, and I think that ultimately that will put Japanese quality control on the car and that it will be a reliable car.[/b]
The Mazda 626 was the first Japanese designed car manufactured in North America to actually be classified as domestic. I'd wager that there were Japanese sourced parts in that car despite final assembly being at AAI.

There was a story in the Detroit Free Press in late October on Mazda placing Japanese Quality Control people from the Hofu plant on-site at AAI to make sure that the vehicles rolled off the line meeting their standards.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts