Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!
My 2005 6 S Wagon has served me well.
Over 235K miles and I still love the car.
I'd like to upgrade the headlight and foglight bulbs, but don't want to put garbage in there.
I've read that for LED bulbs to be effective they need to be in projector style housings.
Question, does this car work well with the LEDs? Are they worth it?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to sharing info.

db

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You can take a look at this thread here about headlights and read up a little bit. Me personally LEDs inside headlights for driving beams are a no go. A lot of the pnp LEDs are junk in my opinion for actual driving beams. The technology isn't quite there for pnp LEDs to be replacements for H1 halogens. HID bulbs are a better option imo.

Now others will say that LEDs could be a way to go but as I posted in the other thread, the dies of the LEDs don't quite line up the same way the filament from the halogen bulb does. This is huge due to how the projector is built.

Now, there are some LED projectors out there that are looking like a good possibility for swapping into the headlights and are actually cheaper than some of the pnp LEDs out there. These are a good candidate because the projector is built around the LEDs and the way the projector bowl is able to utilize the output from the LEDs. In order to do this though, the headlights will have to come apart for the projectors to be swapped out. Our lights are butyl sealed and come apart real easy with a little bit of heat.

Ultimately it's your car and if you want to try LEDs, you can go for it but in many of the automotive lighting groups that I'm in, a lot of people are just wasting their money for not that great of output. Almost all of the retrofitters out there are still telling people to stay away from pnp LEDs for driving beams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts