Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the CEL came on in my wife's tribute and took it to a new mechanic. Through the discussion i mentioned that we might be looking for a new car in the next year. He asked what i was looking at. I said that i liked the CX-9. He told me to but the ford version... but there in's a ford version. The CX-9 has a 3rd row and the edge coms with that as an option (but I bet it takes up the entire cargo area).

He said that ford does the R&D and mazda buys their info and fiddles with a lot of stuff to the point that only mazda parts will work and charge twice as much. then he said that repair and parts-wise I might as well own a mercedes.

The honda pilot in also a possibility and he said buy anything with the honda name on it. Fine, but I have had some bad experience with honda as well... little gunshy.

he might have a point, but it pissed me off at the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
He said that ford does the R&D and mazda buys their info and fiddles with a lot of stuff to the point that only mazda parts will work and charge twice as much. then he said that repair and parts-wise I might as well own a mercedes.

[/b]
huh.... he is comparing maintenance cost of a mazda with mercedes.... is he on crack or somthing? I have owned two mazdas.... 99 626 v6 and 04 6s.... sold 626 at 131k.... the only thing i ever did to it beside regular oil changes at every 3k were new tires at 64k.... new brakes at 88k..... front axles at 115k..... owned it for 7 years.... if i had to buy it again i definitely will.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

[/b]
I don't think you would want to see the maintance costs for Mercedes....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said that the parts for mazda compared to ford are double and that if I had the option to buy the mazda or the ford version... buy the ford. He used the ford ranger/mazda pickup as an example, that the tinkered with mazda parts cost double what the ford counterparts cost.

I agree with many of you. We have had the tribute in for major repairs once before and today's problem ended up being a faulty gas cap gasket. I also have an 2003 6s that has not been too much trouble (knock on wood... 47k & warranty ends in 3000 mi).

I don't hear too many champion ford this way, but ok.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Wrong. I sell both Ford and Mazda parts, and they're close to the same. Some parts are more expensive for Ford and some are more expensive for Mazda. It just depends on the part. Heck, for the Ford/Mazda clones (MPV/Windstar, Tribute/Escape, Trucks) Mazda gives me the Ford part numbers as well, and they're rarely more than a few dollars difference.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,541 Posts
I suggest you find another new mechanic. He's just feeding you a line so that he can charge you twice the price for the "hard-to-find" parts.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These guys actually come highly recommended from a few people. I think this guy (one of the office guys) just happens to be a jerk. He rubbed me the wrong way from the second I walked into the door. The rest of the experience was pretty good. They actually warranty the parts and labor for 2 yrs/24000 mi. I hope to not have to deal with any mechanics for a long time. If we do actually get the Edge, the CX-9, or the Pilot we will be under warranty for the next 5 years. I will have to deal with the 6, though... 3k left on warranty (fingers crossed).

Around here, mechanics that can be trusted are few and far between. The one guy I liked moved to a suburb waaay on the other side of town (like 45 min away). Luckily, I have not had to deal with mechanics much recently. The tribute has surprised me. I was really expecting to have to deal with it a lot more than i have since it is out of warranty. It has 74,500 on it.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Your mechanic is an idiot, get a new one. He obviously has no idea how the relationship between Mazda and Ford works. I hope he doesn't work AT a dealership for either company. If he does, report his shoddy story telling immeadiately.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
45 minutes is worth the drive or tow bill for a mechanic you can trust.

Seriously, though, while some parts are unique to Mazda or Ford, it is in the best financial interests to keep as many as identical as possible to reduce cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts