Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a silver MS6 last week and I wanna buy the first mod beside window tint. What is the best bang for your buck in you guys opinion. I have a boost guage on order but that doesnt count. What have you guys used that you would recommend. I know that there arent alot of mods out yet but i guarantee you soon as the mazdaspeed3 comes out, that aftermarket will have enough numbers and will start to produce some really cool stuff. All opinions welcome, thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wheels- darker color (gun metal or black)
CAI
Blow off valve
Boost guage
Lowering springs
Exhaust
6000k D2S bulbs
extreme super yellow fogs bulbs
brake light mod
Shark Fin antenna.........

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that they sound cool, but what does a blow-off valve do exactly? Performance wise. I have thought about a bov, but, i just wanna know what they do. Also, what is a shark-fin, im a noob, so bear with me. lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd say, CAI, Exhaust, Wheels, Springs, Wheels... then whatever... that's the order I went in.

I know that they sound cool, but what does a blow-off valve do exactly? Performance wise. I have thought about a bov, but, i just wanna know what they do. Also, what is a shark-fin, im a noob, so bear with me. lol
[/b]

The BoV isn't going to do anything performance wise until we get a turbo-upgrade option and up our psi's... we also needed tuning for this as well. The BoV will add a bit of sound, but nothing performance wise imho.

The sharkfine is a substitute for the r/c car kinda antanae that our cars have. Alot of this can be found at the www.therpmstore.com and www.cp-e.com.

Enjoys.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I am biased, but since you said mod and not specifically engine mod, I think the first mod is upgrading the Bloes stereo with a sub box and amp and Ipod. If you can swing it replace the door spkrs and amp as well. You do not have to go crazy, just about any inexpensive pc of equipment will give a significat improvement.I spend a fair amount of my time in the car at a slower pace (damn DC traffic :swearin: ), so I am really enjoying the upgrade.
For me the aftermarket engine mods still are a few months away from being a truly solid option. The issues with tuning need to be adressed before a clear understanding of what long term effects these mods will have.
You can definately increase the performance right now, but for me I am waiting for a more overall, zen like approach.
I have waited a few months to upgrade the rims and tires because i would like to get a little use out of the stock tires. Also quite frankly I spent the first few months "learning" the dimensions of the car and subsequently have a few minor curb rashes :irate: . No problems now.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
First mod on this car should be any form of a cold air (My personal preference is CP-E)... that way you can hear the turbo you paid for...

Nest mod should be a boost gauge (Yes, I am a hypocrit...)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does a turbo car sound like with an CAI? I remember that i had an INJEN intake on my wifes lancer a couple of years ago, and it sounded good but didnt really do anything performance wise. Does anyone have a sound clip?

·
Registered
252 Posts
What does a turbo car sound like with an CAI? I remember that i had an INJEN intake on my wifes lancer a couple of years ago, and it sounded good but didnt really do anything performance wise. Does anyone have a sound clip?
[/b]

get one as your first mod and you'll find out! lol :-D

·
Registered
102 Posts
My .02:

1. CAI
2. Wheels (lighter; stock ones are too heavy and a PITA to keep clean)
3. springs

·
Registered
358 Posts
The BoV isn't going to do anything performance wise until we get a turbo-upgrade option and up our psi's.
[/b]
BOV will help reduce turbo lag too.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
[/b]
no i dont think it will...since the BOV is not active when the turbo is boosting

·
Registered
252 Posts
[/b]

My turbo kicks on and dies at the same rpm's as my stock BoV... so I'm assuming I had no performance gain.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
[/b]
Hope this video of mine will show you the difference in sound and certainly the engine performs much better especially toward the upper rev-range:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-ixMOSL_E

Unfortunely the file on youtube doesn't show a good sound so for a clearer sound you can download this 8mb file here
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ben127/aixboxcai.wmv

·
Registered
364 Posts
mod 1: boost gauge
mod 2: driving school
mod 3: seat time on the track
mod 4: tires/wheels (18x8 or greater)
mod 5: brake pads

As far as power mods, sit back for the next 6-12 months and watch a whole lot of money spent on trial and error then see what works.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks man, that video totally answered my questions about the cai. That sounds really good man. I definitely going to get the cp-e cai as my first mod along with a boost gauge. I wanna do a full exhaust and im leaning toward the cp-e turbo back but im wondering if anyone makes a down pipe for the MS6 yet. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
252 Posts
CP-e is fabricating a DP as we speak... but they are supposed to be releasing it soon... which doesn't seem to be soon enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hope this video of mine will show you the difference in sound and certainly the engine performs much better especially toward the upper rev-range:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-ixMOSL_E

Unfortunely the file on youtube doesn't show a good sound so for a clearer sound you can download this 8mb file here
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ben127/aixboxcai.wmv
[/b]
ms6gr8, thanx for the gr8 video clips! i have a question for you. when you say gutted airbox, does that mean you just pulled the air filter out of the box? if so, what did this do, and most importantly, is it safe to run the car without the airfilter in it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
ms6gr8, thanx for the gr8 video clips! i have a question for you. when you say gutted airbox, does that mean you just pulled the air filter out of the box? if so, what did this do, and most importantly, is it safe to run the car without the airfilter in it?
[/b]

he's referring to removal of the resonator in the wheel well and perhaps doing mods on the botton of the box.

you'll always need an air filter

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
he's referring to removal of the resonator in the wheel well and perhaps doing mods on the botton of the box.

you'll always need an air filter
[/b]
Yes, indeed. Resonator removed. Restricted plate within airbox removed. K&N filter in place of factory filter.....a normal term is the "airbox mod" we refer to in this forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts