Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
savagegeese's CX-30 review showed some presentation slides from Mazda. If you look at the slide at 19:10, Mazda plans for the CX-30 to basically take a decent chunk from the Mazda 3, Mazda 6, AND CX-3. While the Mazda 6 was suppose to have a sizable overlap with young families, the Mazda 6 in their new strategy is basically only for a single/couple with few or no kids of higher socio-economic class who still want a large sedan. Mazda 3 is planned to take the biggest hit. Small crossovers are what Mazda is banking on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If they would build a 3 Signature with all the goodies from the 6 Signature but in a smaller size, I think that would be my ideal vehicle. Throw in AWD as well to help with putting the power down and driving in snowy conditions. It's just the two of us in my family so I really don't need that much passenger space. I just want a really nice small car (I would classify my Mazda 6 as a "really nice" mid-size) that is reliable, drives well and is as fuel efficient as possible. I'd even pay close to 6 money for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My bet is that the CX30 will take a lot of sales from the CX3 and some from the CX5. I doubt many will go from sedans to the CX30 UNLESS they were going to do the transition anyway and might go to a CX30. I looked at a CX30 on a dealer's lot and it looked to me like a stretched car or the Pontiac Aztec or that weird Honda Accord thing.

I hope that the 3 and 6 sales will stabilize as the people who are likely to go for an SUV have already done so. As parents make a decision to drive a particular type of vehicle, their kids tend to abandon that and go for something else. Parents used to drive Station Wagons then Minivans and now SUVs.

For the 6 to survive, Mazda needs to do something to remind people it is still out there. New designs, AWD, they need to do something.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I love sedans. I think the next gen will definitely offer AWD as an option and be RWD based. I think the new design will be very evolutionary as the current 6 continues to receive praise for its good looks. From what I have read we wont be seeing one until 2021 as a 2022 model year however, and part of that is due to an increased partnership with Toyota.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Next gen 6 needs AWD and 235+ width performance tires as standard for every trim with the 2.5T. As of now, even a slight amount of wet on the pavement turns the car into a mess when mashing the gas from the stop or a low speeds.

I can definitely tell this car wasn't tested around Texas, where there are 50+ mph frontage roads everywhere where all the businesses are at. During peak times, at some spots, you pretty much have no choice but to floor it in order to merge into frontage road traffic from a business driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new to the forum. From what ive read so far, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here so I'm happy to join.

Just to give some insight to the Canadian market (im from Toronto) since I see most members here are American:
It's not news that there is a shift towards crossovers, but here in Canada that shift is WAY stronger compared to the US. Everyone here in the Cdn market buys crossovers. The only sedan that sells is the Accord.

I agree that Mazda is still some what of a niche brand for people that value driving dynamics over comfort/luxury features. Mazda has great driving cars with very nice interiors, but up until the latest M 3, the infotainment and features were lacking. Majority of consumers prefer a complacent, smooth ride, (CVT tranny usually) with all the tech features - think CRV/Rav4. If you're buying a Mazda, it is because you REALLY want one. Here in the Cdn market, the Cx5 sells pretty well but not amazingly.

I think the CX30 will definitely eat into some of the MAzda 3 sales. Canadians just rather have the height/size, whether they actually need it or not.

Back to the 6 though: sedans are dying here. Only Accords/Camry's are somewhat selling and hold value. I got a good deal on my used 2015 GS 2 years ago because the 6's are just sitting on lots. In the past year actually in Toronto, my Mazda dealer was telling me there has been an uptick in 2015-2017 used Mazda 6 sales. I think prices just fell too low for people to ignore. Personally I did notice the increase in 6's on the road. When I first got my car, it was so rare to see another MAzda 6, now I actually see them more frequently.

As for the new gen 6 (2018 and newer), they are absolutely not being sold at all. I've been keeping an eye on some used 2018 Signatures and GT's because theyre sitting on lots and are not moving. Dealers are so desperate to sell them that they are cutting the prices every month or so. Right now there is a 2018 GT and Sig, with about 10k KMs being sold for just under 30k CDN. Likely can get another 1k taken off the top with tires thrown in. I know because one dealer was offering me that.

Hopefully sedans get some excitement thrown in to the segment. I hope affordability will shift some buyers to the segment. A used sedan is cheaper than the equivalent used crossover. Sometimes money talks. Some of the new sedans coming to the market make very compelling cases for the non premium market: new subaru Legacy and the new Sonata especially (rumours of a Sonata N-Line coming as well). Hopefully the next gen Mazda 6 doesnt cut any corners.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts