Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, Mazda6 yearly sales plunged to a new low of 20,000 in 2019 from a 30,000+ in 2018 & 2017.

What is the impact of this on the resale value of the current models?

Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am entering negotiations to trade my 2018 Signature and first word out of the Salesperson's mouth was that there are a lot of them on the lots (read: no one is buying them). I presume this is some mild posturing for negotiations but we will see what will come of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heard that currently people are preferring SUVs and crossovers over mid-size cars, that is the new trend.

Sadly, our M6 resale values are gonna take a bigger blow compared to other mid-sized cars ☹

·
Administrator
8,487 Posts
4-door sedans in general are tanking. Ford has pulled out of the segment completely, and it won't be long until GM follows suit. Crossover sales are continually climbing, and the automakers are doing whatever they can to get their piece of the market.

In other words, resale values for EVERY sedan will be low, and may be for the foreseeable future. No demand? No resale.

However, and I've said this for years, buying a car for resale value is a waste of time and effort. Life is short. Buy something that you LOVE. I'd rather have a smile on my face behind the wheel, than a miserable commute day in and day out, just to get an extra $100 back in 9 years...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have to say that I've never bought a car based on resale value. I buy what I like and enjoy the heck out of it.

If you're buying a car (daily driver) as an investment you're not making a good investment.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Vehicles are not investments. They are transportation devices and depreciate rapidly. With that said nobody wants sedans; they want crossovers. Does it make sense? Doesn't matter if it makes sense; buyers vote with their checkbooks.

I buy vehicles for utility; doing anything else is IMHO dumb. My preferences are not aligned with the market generally; I'd love another wagon after my '03 Jetta TDI, but I'm one of only a few, so guess what -- nobody made them anymore when I was shopping EXCEPT for the JSW (Jetta Wagon with the TDI), and I refuse to buy any of the newer common-rail diesels as they are ALL time bombs with very expensive things that either wear out (e.g. DPF) or break without warning and will strand you when they do (e.g. HPFP) -- and frequently both. Oh well.

So I looked at the crossovers and didn't find the argument for the CX-5 in the configurations offered compelling against the "6". Would I have a different view today? Maybe, maybe not. I've not driven the newer CX-5s since the mid-cycle refresh -- just sat in them. But the appeal of any vehicle for me goes down roughly at the square of the price premium over other options on-offer as I pay cash for my vehicles and considered them sunk costs as soon as I put the tag on the back, so that might be a tough sell.

When something expensive breaks on my "6" that's not worth fixing I'll retire it and buy something else. If I can't find something at a rational price and performance level that I like in the new market then I'll buy someone else's depreciated vehicle and take the risks associated with having no idea how it was treated before I got it. The only reason I tend to buy new is that I also tend to keep vehicles for 10+ years and the odds of them making it to that number without anything really expensive breaking is if I know how it was treated from the first couple of miles onward, never mind that on any used vehicle I typically have several hundred dollars worth of "do it right now" sort of maintenance to perform and thus factor that into the price (filters, all fluids, etc.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In other words, resale values for EVERY sedan will be low, and may be for the foreseeable future. No demand? No resale.
But I have an alternative theory...The people who buy Mazda6 buy it for a reason..and no SUV/Crossover in the price range can match that.

So I believe our M6 resale value gonna stay strong.

Suprisingly , now there is a 100$ increase in KBB trade-in values of Mazda6 from Nov 2019 despite clocking an additional 1000 miles.

However, the trade-in values of Accord and Camry dropped by a 100$ in the same time period clocking 1000 miles.

I will post an update on this next month.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As others have mentioned sedan sales are tanking. The crave/craze is cuv’s and suv’s which I really don’t understand that much. Personally I love a car, and especially a sedan. The Mazda6 fits my desire for a car in every aspect. I don’t own one yet but plan to soon. I currently drive a pickup truck and I must say I enjoy it too, not for the same reasons however. The convenience is great, the ability to haul objects no matter the size or weight is fantastic, the short range in between gas stations... not so much. I have grown accustom to being able to haul things around and use its bed whenever but the mpg during my daily commute and not using it as a truck very often is what I debate. That’s my current struggle, to own a Mazda6 which I know I will love and appreciate, but to own a second vehicle such as a beater truck (for the convenience) doesn’t sit so warm and fuzzy with me. I don’t worry about resale and I always plan to keep my vehicles for a long time but lately it hasn’t happened that way. Anyone have advice for me? I know it’s up to me and my decision but an outside perspective or opinion is always helpful.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The automotive world is changing rapidly. Whether we like it or not within the next 10 to 15 years most if not all new vehicles will have some level of automation,electrification and will likely be a crossover. With such a tectonic shift in the market, even large corporations will look to share the cost burden and you'll see rapid consolidation. I wouldnt be too surprised if there are only 5 or 6 large car companies across the globe in the next two decades. Toyota has a stake in Subaru and Suzuki now and is deepening its involvement with mazda. Nissan has mitsubishi, and for the time being Renault. Chrysler yet again has a new partner in form of Peugeot-Citroen. This will continue until only a handful of manufacturers are left. Think about it, in the early 20th century prior to WW2, UK alone had over 400 registered automobile manufacturers ! Today there are hardly 10 left.

As for Mazda6, its sales has steadily declined to a point where i doubt if mazda has any incentive to continue investing on this model. In all likelihood the next generation mazda6 ,if there is one , will be based on Toyota's TNGA platform with Toyota already working with mazda to develop a new 6 cylinder motor. On the other hand look at the CX5 sales, mazda is moving them at a rate of 12-14k units per month. That's where the future is and that's where companies will go.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Yep.

There are plenty of people who think the future is basically a "car bank" where you summon one, which has no driver (e.g. they're all robotaxis.) Maybe, but that's a world you might not want to live in. Get on someone's list and.... you're dead. Literally. You can't go anywhere or get anything. Oops.

IMHO the odds of that happening in the next 10 years are not very high. There is no such thing as actual "AI", yet actual out-of-scope processing is required to operate a vehicle with reasonable safety. Never in the history of machine learning has one ever demonstrated out-of-scope processing. Ever.

I'll take the under on it, and frankly, as I age, I'd like to be able to take the over. But I think it's no better than 50/50 by the time my eyesight is poor enough that I fail the renewal test we have such vehicles available.

Nonetheless the march toward "more in the car, at more cost" continues. Every single piece of the industry demands it to keep the so-called "growth story" going. Even the insurance industry (think about it for a second as it's true for all insurance -- if your margin is regulated, as it is for insurance, the only way to grow is to process more dollars in claims; ergo, you either need more severe incidents or the thing protected must go up in price.)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The under: There won't be self-driving cars, truly self-driving to where I don't need a license (I can sit in the back and get drunk while it takes me wherever) within the next ~10-20 years.

The over: There will be.

20 years from now I'm odds-on to not be competent to drive. I might still be ok, but given what I see among old people cranking around, well....... yeah.

·
Registered
651 Posts
There are plenty of people who think the future is basically a "car bank" where you summon one, which has no driver (e.g. they're all robotaxis.)
I agree with you but don't see this happening (at least in a widespread manner) for 20-30+ years. Young, urban progressive types who live in a bubble who are screaming that automated EVs are the imminent future don't seem to realize that the vast majority of the US don't live in big cities so robotaxis are useless in most of the county. Also, Ford F-150s are the best selling vehicles right now, and will be until the economy tanks--Ford isn't going to stop producing their biggest sellers because "it's the right thing to do" for the environment.

Also, I read that surveys show that the majority of the public flat-out doesn't trust or want self-driving cars.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The under: There won't be self-driving cars, truly self-driving to where I don't need a license (I can sit in the back and get drunk while it takes me wherever) within the next ~10-20 years.

The over: There will be.

20 years from now I'm odds-on to not be competent to drive. I might still be ok, but given what I see among old people cranking around, well....... yeah.
[/QUOT

Thx for explaining. I often wonder how it'll be for me, as my driving competency wanes. At a certain point cognitive/reaction speed decrements are too great versus judgement based on experience. For that matter, judgement declines too. I do see some recognition of limitations amongst elderly people... like only driving during the day, only in non-rainy /non-snowy conditions... but I degress. This is a whole other subject.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I would REALLY LIKE to have a vehicle where I can punch in some destination 1,500 miles away, climb in the back with a bottle of Rum, a pillow, blanket and such, and have it beep at me when it needs to me get out to stick the gas hose in the hole, then climb back in.

The time-shift advantage of being able to do that is large, never mind that I'd never pay another nickel in other than comprehensive insurance coverage, since I can't be liable for what I don't do (the manufacturer would be the responsible party when it comes to liability) and comprehensive coverage would be basically limited to things like hail (you can't steal it as you can't drive it, so other than "acts of God" sort of damage....) But I don't see that being available for a very long time if ever, simply because "out of scope" events happen ALL THE TIME and if you get the reaction to one of them wrong you wreck. Thus the Tesla's that love to ram the back of fire engines or drive UNDER a semi trailer that's pulling across a roadway to make a turn, decapitating the driver, for example.

My mother had a valid license WAY beyond the point that she could competently use it. Fortunately she knew that she wasn't competent to drive and didn't, but in extremis she could. Then again in an extreme circumstance whether licensed or not you do what you have to do.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I would REALLY LIKE to have a vehicle where I can punch in some destination 1,500 miles away, climb in the back with a bottle of Rum, a pillow, blanket and such, and have it beep at me when it needs to me get out to stick the gas hose in the hole, then climb back in.
I'm the same when it comes to autonomous driving. I either want to shift my own gears OR be able to sleep soundly while the car safely drives itself. Until it gets to that point, I'm not interested, haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the original point of the post: Car values are down, both new and used. That does not mean they are bad investments (I know this is the wrong word). If you buy a car for a few thousand less then an SUV and it costs thousands less to operate over the years, you can sell it for a bigger percentage loss and still be better off in the long run.

It is only a bad financial decision if you sell quickly. Besides, if you like to drive, cheaper cars are a win-win. I would not drive an SUV if they were free.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the autonomous car sub thread: I enjoy driving and want to change my own gears. I have given into the reality that an automatic transmission is more practical for a rush hour commute. At some point I will admit that driving is not realistic and I hope autonomous cars are a reality by then.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts