Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I'll introduce myself. I'm 26m and have just put down a deposit on a brand new liquid silver 6 MPS leather pack (I think thats roughly equivalent to the GT in the states).

It's due in about a week and I am barely getting any sleep as all I think about at night is MPS (should be sex).

I have spent the last two weeks reading about and test driving as many cars as possible. From the very beginning I wanted a 'sheep in wolves' clothing' kind of car, and so the MPS6 + GT/3.0R were at the top of my list. But I also played with some big V8's (new VE commodores and HSVs for the aussies) and rally cars (wrx/evo) for the hell of it. At the end however, I felt the MPS6 handled a little better and so thats where I lay down my $$$.

Anyways, if you have any advice on how I should take care of the car in the upcoming months, please let me know. It's my first new car and I don't want to *** it up :)

I'm interested in a few things:

*) After I signed up for the car, the salesman talked me though some protection/car-care products including rust/paint/leather/fabric protection. They sounded like decent ideas, but for $500 AUS each ($370 US or so) I figure I can do the job myself with the right products. Any recommendations?

*) Any particular way I should run-in the engine? I've seeked advice on this before and am torn between 'keep it under 4500RPM until first oil change' and 'utilise the entire powerband from 0-6k rpm by revving up/down a lot'.

*) Any other advice on how to best take care of the car. For the record its leased so certain mods will be off limit.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hi blimpyboy, good to see another Aussie here...hooray.. :) Welcome and you can find lots of info under the Mazdaspeed section.

Don't let the dealer rip you off with those addons, you will save much more doing it yourself ....and afterall, they all source them from outside anyway.

There are plenty of threads discussed the very topic of running-in, please do a search and they should come up in no time. But in summary just vary your revs but don't baby it too much. Just don't race your engine for the 1st few hundred K after that every now and then you should drive it like you stole it...the car will improve immensely.

Please make yourself home here and start the posting...cheers.

Oh, I can't believe you have made the decision after testing the VE ( I assume it is the SS or even the HSV ) cause there is already lots of hype around these newly release version. So from your point of view the MPS is just as good in some area I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, more aussies.

Don't let the dealer rip you off with those addons, you will save much more doing it yourself ....and afterall, they all source them from outside anyway.

There are plenty of threads discussed the very topic of running-in, please do a search and they should come up in no time. But in summary just vary your revs but don't baby it too much. Just don't race your engine for the 1st few hundred K after that every now and then you should drive it like you stole it...the car will improve immensely.
[/b]
Yep, addons totally out the window. I'll be doing them myself (starting with tinting). And yep, will search for the running-in business although what you said sounds pretty good.

Oh, I can't believe you have made the decision after testing the VE ( I assume it is the SS or even the HSV ) cause there is already lots of hype around these newly release version. So from your point of view the MPS is just as good in some area I guess.
[/b]
Yeh I test drove the SS V (manual) and it was definately a nice car. I felt the MPS handled itself just as well though. The biggest reason I didn't get the commodore I guess was because of its common-ness (which I guess translates into depreciation). The MPS is more niche which I like.

Welcome ..another OZ boy...did you get a 2005 plated car or 06?...they were on sale in Newcastle this weekend for $42990 drive away (no leather) and $47999 leather........get some RX8 wheels and make it a factory special...hate those standard wheels. Welcome.
[/b]
Holy shit, that is nice pricing. I got an 06 with leather for a few k more, and I really had to wrestle for that. Yeh, I'll look into the RX8 wheels. I've noticed a lot of people on these forums have gone down that path.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I agree with you about the commonness of the Commodore, on top of that the MPS is a real sleeper so no one knows what it is :)

The price you paid for yours seems to be in line with most who paid for theirs lately so it is good. I paid mine few K more when the car 1st came out late lastyear though :(

If you feel like it, give this site a visit, as it is all Aussies there:
http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/forumdis...splay.php?f=206

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome aboard blimpyboy!

I only lost 3 night's sleep before I put 3 grand down on my speed6 so I hear what you're saying there.

I did pay $198 for the dealer's 3rd party in-house shop to tint my windows because as with my other cars, I'd always said the 1st thing I'm going to do was get my windows tinted. Of course, I never did and didn't want this happening to my speed. By tacking it on to my purchase, I sorta made myself do it.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts