Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am thinking about getting a Mazda 6 soon. With gas prices, I need something with good gas mileage. I have a few quick questions...Are they reliable? Are they comfortable to ride in for long periods of time? Would you recommend one? Thanks, and enjoy your mazda! :)How much did it cost also?What is the difference in the 5 door and sedan besides the colors and one extra door?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Should I say "Welcome to the club" because I'm not sure?
Anyway.

I would recommend one.
Good gas mileage has a lot to do with how you drive and which 6 you buy. I have a 6i but I drive like I have no common sense so my gas mileage is not as high as it should be.

I am 6'-1" and I find the car very comfortable on long trips.

You wrote "enjoy your mazdas"
Have you had a Mazda before or with the 6 be your first?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey everyone! I am thinking about getting a Mazda 6 soon. With gas prices, I need something with good gas mileage. I have a few quick questions...Are they reliable? Are they comfortable to ride in for long periods of time? Would you recommend one? Thanks, and enjoy your mazda! :)
[/b]
if you're looking for objective advise, i think you've come to the wrong place. i mean all of us had to decide what to buy and came to the conclusion that these are great cars that met our needs. are they perfect? no, but then again no car is.
but to your specific questions...

- the odds are greatly in your favor that you won't have serious problems.
- i've driven 4 hours straight with no issues in terms of comfort. but different body types will react differently.
- if you like to have a fun car to drive that looks good and is a bit different from the more common cars, absolutely i'd recommend this car. especially if you want extra hauling capability where the hatch or wagon options are very unique.

i'd also suggest looking through this site as to what kind of deals you can expect to get. compared to many of it's peers, the 6 is not just a leader in performance, but also in value. if you can find some 05's in your area you can expect to pay 8k off of msrp if your negotiations go well.

i've had my car for about 6 months now, and i have no regrets. the longer i have it, the more i appreciate what a great car this is. hope you get a chance to know what it's like...good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Gas mileage with the 2.3L 4 cyl is good. Mileage with the V6 is ok at best. As kdn02 said, it really depends on how you drive....and the 6's driving dynamics strongly encourage driving like a dumbass who has unlimited funds to spend on gas. Everytime it's time tofill up my tank I tell myself that I really need to take it easyon the gas pedal....but 10 minutes later my foot starts to feel real heavy again...and well, I can't help myself. Overall, it is a great car...and a great value...and I would recommend it to anyone who actually enjoys driving.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the 6's driving dynamics strongly encourage driving like a dumbass who has unlimited funds to spend on gas. Everytime it's time tofill up my tank I tell myself that I really need to take it easyon the gas pedal....but 10 minutes later my foot starts to feel real heavy again...and well, I can't help myself.
[/b]
BINGO!!!

I thought I was the only one that felt this way!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well on paper they are good on gas but I gauruntee that once you drive it you will not care bout gas milage and you will have WAY too much fun to drive like a responsible old fart. This car in any style will make you feel like a kid again and is VERy comfortabl and easys to drive. I have had both the 4 cyl. and now the speed and I have to tell you I would buy another in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh, and the front seats were redesigned for '06, and they are very comfortable. I've driven for up to 5 hours at a time on 2 occassions and never felt uncomfortable or fatigued.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've bought three Mazda6's in the past two years. i traded in my first mazda6 V6 for the mazdaspeed. i was sad to see it go, but i love my new mazdaspeed6. it's great on the highway; i even got 27 mpg on a recent 500 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
As for comfort, hell yeah they are comfortable. I have the mazda leather seats and I made a 7.5 hour trip and then local driving which pretty much equated to driving all day long and I never felt so comfortable. I melt into my lovely seats.

As for 5 door vs sedan, 5 door kicks so much ass. My Dad convinced me to get a 5 door and I am so glad that he did. I never imagined how much that extra space would help. As you can see in my avatar, I have taken advantage of the hatch. Plus, you really can't tell the difference stylistically between a sedan and a hatch, so looks wise, they are very similar. You just cant get rain guards for your windows on the hatch.

Cost is all relative to what you get in the package. Go to www.mazdausa.com and you can build a 6 and have a price estimate after.

I originally looked at a 3 until I test drove it and realized how uncomfortable it was. I then test drove a 6 for the heck of it and fell in love instantly. Go for a 6 for sure!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
1) Just about every new car is extremely reliable, and the differences in reliability are very small between cars. The Mazda6 is no exception. The vast majority of Mazda6 owners have experienced zero problems or a minor problem or two.

2) I take 5 hour trips regularly in mine and it's very comfortable. The 2006 seats are different, and they are a matter of preference.

3) I definitely recommend the Mazda6 as the best mid-sized car sold here.

Sorry Glacier, but the styling differences between the sedan and 5-door are substantial. The 5-door's profile is more aggressive, leading to an overall more sporty appearance. Other differences are the rear wiper, which is used rarely, and the articulating rear seat which folds truly flat.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Sorry Glacier, but the styling differences between the sedan and 5-door are substantial. The 5-door's profile is more aggressive, leading to an overall more sporty appearance.
[/b]
Sorry Diva, but Glacier's right. The vast majority of people really can't tell the difference between the 5-door and sedan unless they're looking up close, and even then, the thing that'll tip them off is the rear wiper.

That's the advantage of the 5-door, it looks a lot like the sedan, and doesn't "look" like a hatch. To you, me, and other 6 owners, the differences are there, but to the general public, it's not nearly as easy to tell them apart like the Mazda 3 sedan and 5-door.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
It really frightens me if the vast majority of people have such poor powers of observation. Of course, that likely accounts for their poor car buying decisions.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
It really frightens me if the vast majority of people have such poor powers of observation. Of course, that likely accounts for their poor car buying decisions.
[/b]
And poor driving decisions as well. :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i own a 5 & 4 door. from the profile they are about the same. now, the new MS6 is a little more aggressive. namely the bulge under the hood where the TMIC lurks. . .

·
Registered
44 Posts
GET ONE!!!!!! It will be the best decision you have ever made.

I have had my 6s for a year and several months and have not had ONE mechanical problem. Of course, I take care of it like it's my first child, but the car really is amazing. I've driven for 12 hours+ on multiple occasions and was shocked at how comfortable I was the whole time - and I have an 04 so before they redesigned the seats.

Gas mileage is surprisingly good. I live in the city and rarely have any highway miles but still get ~22 mpg. Not bad IMO (especially b/c of my strange need to get to 40mph in one block before the next stop sign) Zoom it up.

I truly LOVE this car and you will too.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sorry Glacier, but the styling differences between the sedan and 5-door are substantial. The 5-door's profile is more aggressive, leading to an overall more sporty appearance. Other differences are the rear wiper, which is used rarely, and the articulating rear seat which folds truly flat.
[/b]
I should've been more specific to say sport sedan/hatch comparisons. To me, they look pretty similar. And yes, I did forget to mention the fold-down seats and rear wiper.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
one thing i do like about the mazdaspeed & the 5-door over the 4-door sedan is the addition of rear headrests. they really add to the sporty look & rear seat comfort/safety.

·
Registered
979 Posts
really I hate my rear headrests they get inthe way of visability...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I chose the Sedan for these personal reasons over the Hatch :

1) didn't like the bulge in the hatch window ; gave the rear a heavy unbalanced look compared to the front

2) didn't like the tacky curved side plastic added to the C-Pillar (rear door edge meets to quarterpanel) + makes the pillar less massive + lines don't flow with straight door edge (little triangular window)

3) didn't like the regular Joe brake light on trunk lid of the hatch squeezed in tight over the badge / the Sedan has the great looking spoiler integrated red LEDS under white cover ... love the look + it comes with fully chromed headlight housings to contrast with my Onyx Black paint (Hatch's are black plastic)

4) Sedan has more rear headroom clearance (check the specs) for rear seat passengers + didn't want once more to have my rear passengers bump their heads as I always had hatches .

5) Sedan has ample , I mean AMPLE rear trunk space in height & depth .... I mean geez ; I picked up a new 20 inch bicycle for my son and didn't even have to drop the big 60% folding seat ! + when I installed my chromed O.E. wheels on ; I took to the garage all four O.E. Michelins & all four mags and still had space to fit at least four more tires (seats unfolded of course) ! As I've mentioned elsewhere before ; if I need to move furniture , I'll borow the old man's pick-up and won't risk smashing that damn expensive hatch glass !

6) Sedan stiffness versus rattles that are bound to happen sooner or later as with all hatches :yesnod: lot's of postings here to confirm

7) Sedan ... no rear headrest ... no big deal : my windows are tinted (5% rear windshield) + I have better visibility albeit less safety .. but my son is only 8 y.o. so he doesn't reach top seat level for a while and by then he'll want front .

8) Sedan gets Bose subwoofer in right place unlike inside the spare tire for Hatch

As for buying it .... no regrets and still fall in love with its looks inside / out every time : there ain't no better performing / as good looking / creature comforts all packaged into one in this price range out there ! Get it 5 speed with the v6 with heated-leather , etc . in whatever format (hatch sedan wagon) does the trick for ya & hope I helped as I have with others regarding this question :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
13 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing