Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I would just like to introduce myself. I picked up my new 06 Mazda 6i on Monday in Glacier Silver. The car's beauty was the main deciding factor. I went with the 6i convience package; I4 was good enough because I wasn't looking for power. I have my baby that is much more fun to drive. It's an Eagle Talon TSi AWD Turbo, fully upgraded everything. Probably in the upper 300HP range. Although I never took it to the track, I hope to do that this summer.
I was originally going to get the car in M/T, but I decided to go with the A/T with Tiptronic. I figured I have my fast M/T sports car at home anytime I want it.
I must say that I fell in love with the Mazda, such a beautiful car, Handles amazing, drives really smooth. I am really impressed!
I hope to snap some pictures of both cars soon.
I plan to keep the Mazda stock, I just want a nice reliable, smooth car.

I've been lurking around the forums the last couple of days, so I could learn as much as I could. I've been frequenting www.dsmtalk.com for the last 6 years, so I am not new to posting and such.

I have one question, maybe someone could help? I've never had the tiptronic (Manushift, BTW, What does Mazda call that?) transmission. Do you keep your foot on the gas while you shift? I've been taking it off like if I was driving a M/T. Also, does using this feature kill the life of the transmission?

Thanks for your help!

-Matt-

·
Registered
978 Posts
can't say i have an answer to your question, but welcome to the club! time to get some pics of your rides!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Welcome to the club talonguy.

My sister used to own a 91 Eagle Talon, that was one fun car! Does Eagle still make cars? Don't see them anymore.

I have the v6 ATX. You do not need to take your foot off the gas to use the M mode shifting, and from my understanding, using the M-Mode makes the transmission run a little hotter. I just installed an inline transmission cooler on mine to keep the temps down.

Regardless, here's a couple of posts on Mazda6Tech.com forums about the ATX and shifting

How to Shift in M-Mode

ATX Manual Mode Reducing Mileage

and before you ask, here's an article about installing an ATX tranny cooler on the 6i.

Looking forward to see pics of the two cars side by side.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
i believe it's called manumatic. i use all the time ever since i put on my exhaust. and just like you, i left off the gas when shifting because i am so used to driving an MTX. it's a little easier on the transmission if you do it like that. i know when using the manumatic shifter it drinks more gas than normal. i don't care, i do it anyways. if you really want to help out the transmission during shifting, you can get some valvebodies from lentech. a little pricey, so i haven't bought them.

welcome to the club, btw. and i had a buddy that had a TSi with an upgraded turbo and BOV. that car was a beast. no second gear scratch, he could burn rubber nearly throughout the entire gear. IIRC, he was running low 13's, if not high 12's. that was a bad bitch.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Welcome to the club :wavey:

Speaking about manumatic, I hate that thing. When I drive my wife's car, I just use the full auto mode. If I want to drive full MTX, I just drive my car. :drive:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes!
I just snapped off a few pictures of the talon, but imagestation is giving me crap. I'll work on it later.
Eagle went under in 1998, the last year they made the talon. Was a beautiful car!

As for the Talon, I've done a lot of work. 20G 05 (Turbo) ,Portd Exhaust Mani, FMIC, MBC,3in DP cateliminator, 3in Thermal R&D catback, O2 atmo dump, Walbro 255 Fuel Pmp, ACT 2600 Clutch Kit, Greddy EGT, S-AFC, RC 550cc's injectors, 3in intake pipe (Injen filter), 2G MAS (hacked), Pocketlogger, NGK 7, aluminum radiator. That's about all I can think about.

Thanks for the links for the autoshifting feature, I'll most likely keep it in A/T. I read about the Transmission overheating in the manual as well. Everytime I drive the 6 I feel like I need to shift though, the auto shifter feels like a manual shift knob to me.

I'll take some side by side pictures after a wash, hopefully Saturday or Sunday.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Photobucket site!

OK, Warning the Talon is extremely dirty and 16 year old paint isn't the most beautiful. Don't worry about the metal rust under the hood, everything functions wonderfully.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The one thing I can say you have going for you is that you are from Long Island (my birth place). Dude, maybe it's me, but that Talon leaves alot to be desired. I'm sure it runs like a raped ape but it's not too kind on the eyes. On the other hand, you do own a 6. Do you have pics of that? Anyway, no hard feelings. I've been in Ca. for so long that I've forgotten what hard winters do to cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one thing I can say you have going for you is that you are from Long Island (my birth place). Dude, maybe it's me, but that Talon leaves alot to be desired. I'm sure it runs like a raped ape but it's not too kind on the eyes. On the other hand, you do own a 6. Do you have pics of that? Anyway, no hard feelings. I've been in Ca. for so long that I've forgotten what hard winters do to cars.
[/b]
I know its doesn't look all that great, it hasn't had a full bath in a long time. It hasn't been waxed since last year :nono: I just haven't had the time. Believe me, it will look a hundred time better after a nice coat of wax. But there's not much I could do about under the hood. The metal rusts up, I didn't pay hundreds or thousands of dollars extra for my parts to be treated or fully polished. I bought everything on a budget. That was one of major perks of having a DSM, Go Fast for Cheap.

I haven't taken picts of the 6 yet, you could kind of see it in the background of one of the pictures. Soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
thetalonguy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing