Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick message too say hello to all you Mazda 6 people. I'm Ray, from Holland living in the UK.

Just purchased a 2014 Sport NAV yesterday. Unfortunately I'm not collecting it till next Tuesday but I'm reading up about the thing and finding out what all gadgets do. Had a little test drive and it's lovely. It's a 2.2 diesel in black with black leather.

Initially I was set on an Infiniti Q50 but after viewing 4 of them it wasn't for me. It's a bit claustrophobic in the cabin and the engine (2.2d) is really loud, a bit like a tractor so car number two on my list was the Mazda 6. I should have looked at the Mazda first to save me traveling around the country trying to find an Infiniti!

This is my first Mazda ever. The car is replacing my Saab 9.3 Aero turbo (petrol) convertible so the 6 is fairly large in comparison. Just have to get used to the lack of power as I think it only produces 170 odd BHP? It's only a school run / Tesco beer run car so should be fine.

Hoping to learn a lot about these things whilst not getting lured into retrofitting optional extra's as I'm bad for that...

I know being a Mazda 6 forum you all know what one looks like but here's the new toy anyway!

·
Registered
2016 6
416 Posts
Glad to have a new member of the mazda family! Beautiful car as always lol and hopefully you think so as well. Unfortunately you’re right about the power of these models, they’re really just safe reliable commuter cars. Not saying you can’t still have fun in them, these cars will handle any turn as well if not better than an Infiniti.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just have to get used to the lack of power as I think it only produces 170 odd BHP? It's only a school run / Tesco beer run
Bring it around a twisting road and run it at second gear as you hit a near red line. That should be enjoyable!

I also have the diesel variant and speaking of power, I got OVT. It's unfortunate that they "discontinued" support.

Just a reminder about a common complaint about DPF. Most I've read about it used the car for short trips. I hope you would be driving it at least once a week for a long stretch.

If ever you have the electronic parking brake, there's a procedure on how to enter maintenance mode. If it's just a handbrake, then it's a normal brake job.

·
Rally Racer
3,367 Posts
@Raymond welcome. Did the Aero have the 157kW, 190kW or 210kW motor?
A parent at my sons daycare drives one of the 45 US imported MTX 2008 Saab 9-3 TurboX SportCombi's, A dream wagon for sure.

The new ride looks really sharp, congratulations. Should be reliable for years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome all. I see that most of you are in the US so I'll try and be clear as we use different words for different things here in the UK. On top of that I'm Dutch to confuse things even more.

The hood is called a bonnet over here, the trunk is a boot and a sedan is a saloon. I'll try and use both so everyone knows what I'm waffling on about.

@Trollz3457 I think I've made the right choice with the 6 over the Q50. Infiniti isn't very big in the UK and will shrink even more now Infiniti has pulled out of the euro market. I know parts will be available but at a cost and there will be less and less garages taking them in for repair etc.

@Archerfish I have limited knowledge of the DPF yet. The last diesel car I had was a 5-Series. They didn't use these filters back then. I'll have a read up on those. I guess these are expensive to replace?

It doesn't have the electronic parking brake unfortunately or the facelift dash or the LED taillights... :censored:

@TalonTsi90 I'm not sure if we have the GT Turbo in the UK. Aren't they available from 2018 onwards?

@DrFeelGood It was a 2006 with 210BHP. Stage 1 bumps it up to 250BHP with no modifications. I managed to retrofit comfort opening (remote roof) and power folding memory mirrors and some other bits. Planned to do the full memory seat retrofit but never got round to that. Luckily the 6 already has memory seats.

I'll get a picture up when Postimage is back up. The Saab sold a few days back and I'm now car-less till Tuesday :oops: Well, I'm driving the other half's Hyundai i40, that should get me used to a lack of BHP's :LOL:

Edit: Postimage back online

·
Super Moderator
17,895 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Ray!

Congrats on your purchase.

Yes, but it doesn't go all the way down. I find it more appealing to have "everything" disappear. Perhaps because I've seen the soft top and I have a comparison.
Go test drive an RF, you'll be sold just like I am. Were money no object I'd have 2 already (1 for the Mrs). lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks @Archerfish The Saab was a soft top. Had a great time with but it's time for something sensible... Actually, I have had 3 Saab soft tops and 2 at the same time. One new gen 900, one old gen 9.3 and the new gen 9.3. Misses had a Merc C-class coupe at the same time so 3 two door cars wasn't ideal with two young kids....

The Merc went last x-mas and replaced with a Hyundai i40 Tourer. Kids even have their own doors now. :LOL: It's actually a really nice car to drive and the boot is huuuuuge

I should've kept all 3!

Get yourself a nice little weekend car if you can. The Miata's are RWD yeah?

@Byakuya Thanks for the welcome. Doing a lot of reading through the forum atm. You have no idea how far 1pm next Tuesday actually is... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
17,895 Posts
@Byakuya Thanks for the welcome. Doing a lot of reading through the forum atm. You have no idea how far 1pm next Tuesday actually is... :eek:
Careful with what you read, when the mod bug bites, it bites hard ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think I know what you're trying to say. I quite like retrofitting stuff other people say can't be done.

This is a while back in my old BMW 5-Series Touring if you like a read...

That "automatic steering" looks cool! Perhaps you can also do a "memory side mirrors". I want it such that when you reverse, it will automatically go down so that you can see the side of the wheels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@morgan45 Thanks. I'm quite pleased with the thing. Only had it 3 days but so far so good.

@Archerfish I did retrofit power folding memory mirrors with kerb dip to that car. The passenger mirror dips (when the selector is on pass) when engaging reverse. Then goes back to where it was when in forward gear. I don't think I did a write up on it as when you have the memory sorted the mirrors just bolt on.

I did also retrofit memory mirrors with kerb dip on my Saab vert but that didn't dip in reverse. You had to press a button to get it to dip.

I half expected the memory mirrors and steering column to come with my Mazda 6 as it already has memory seats. Was this available as an option?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a beautiful ride, Ray! Congrats and welcome
I was really hoping to clay bar the car over the weekend followed by a good polish and wax but weather forecasted 11 years of rain. Once it stops I'll clean the car and get some pictures up. Should look mint with the 'flakes' in the black paint. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts