Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. First time Mazda 6 owner here. I just purchased a 2004 mazda 6 for a super good deal. It only has 65k miles on the car and the motor was replaced 4k miles ago. I know the guy from work at JRM and he is moving to NY and is literally selling every car he owns so he sold his Mazda to me for $2000 bucks. I was looking to get a new car, not this car in particular but my car was on its last legs and it is a really nice car so I bought it till I buy my WRX or genesis. Anyways, Its a v6 5 speed, all leather, Bose sound system, super clean, maroonish color. Not sure if its an S or I. So I was just curious about a few things, I know I there are threads here about this stuff but I figured might as well ask here first before I delve into the swamp of posts. First, straight pipe or no? And if I do, should I do a full straight replacing both resonators? I really want mine to sound like this guys on youtube, I can't post the link but its one of the top ones that comes up when you search mazda 6 straight pipe, its a blue mazda 6. Also to intake or not to intake, lol. And one last quick question, I really want to get HIDs, both high and low and fogs. Are they easy to install? I had them on my other cars, Xentec brand, never had any problems and they were a piece of cake to install. Just curious to know what I would be getting into installing them. I wonder if I can use the ballasts from my other car and just buy new H1 bulbs for the low beams?

Anyways thanks guys. I hope I have lots of fun with this car and I will probably post some future pics and updates on mods and such.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Welcome aboard.

V6s are S trim.

If you want to do HIDs, do them right and do a complete retrofit. The bixenon lows/highs are worth the price alone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome! '04s with a manual are the best! :) I'm not upgrading the exhaust so I can't really offer anything there. From what I've read with this engine is that adding a CAI and upgrading the exhaust will modify the sound but not the performance.

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you got yourself a heck of a deal.

I agree with Gerry on the HIDs, but if you can't afford the full retrofit, I ran DDMTuning lights for years and they were great (for the price).

Mazda is right as well. What the V6 really wants is MORE AIR. Give it a nicer intake, a bigger throttle body, and a better exhaust and you'll get a nice change in tone as well as a few extra ponies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you got yourself a heck of a deal.

I agree with Gerry on the HIDs, but if you can't afford the full retrofit, I ran DDMTuning lights for years and they were great (for the price).

Mazda is right as well. What the V6 really wants is MORE AIR. Give it a nicer intake, a bigger throttle body, and a better exhaust and you'll get a nice change in tone as well as a few extra ponies.
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the tips. I'll look into the retrofit headlights. I'll probably end up just doing hids in the factory headlights. I really want the black housing headlights. Might remove them and paint them. Apparently I have to remove them to get new bulbs in anyways. Is there a way to change the bulbs without removing the bumper and taking the headlights out?

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the tips. I'll look into the retrofit headlights. I'll probably end up just doing hids in the factory headlights. I really want the black housing headlights. Might remove them and paint them. Apparently I have to remove them to get new bulbs in anyways. Is there a way to change the bulbs without removing the bumper and taking the headlights out?
Just the bulbs? Yeah, you can do it without dropping the bumper and whatnot, but it's a pain on the (if I remember correctly) passenger side because there's almost no room to work on things.

If you need to add ballasts then it'll be easier to pull the headlights because you can end up mounting them underneath and out of the way. Pulling the bumper and headlights isn't that bad once you get used to it. Might want to snag a few extra plastic body clips before doing it though, since it's almost guaranteed that you break one or two (likely from stepping on them, like I do).

Here's a wonderful writeup: https://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-hvac/180795-how-katsuro-5000k-hid-install.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts