Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tried the LEDs that use "chips" instead of actual bulbs? supposidly the are brighter or something and im just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, and if so please post pics.

Thanks,
Griffin

...they can be found at Frickinbright.com

Attachments

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
That URL doesn't work, but I imagine that you're thinking of surface-mounted LEDs. They're rectangular in shape and maybe 1mm tall. They look like "chips". They're actually used in our car -- the LEDs behind the guages that make that uniform red glow in the "electroluminescent" gauges is actually those type of LEDs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh my bad....its Frickinbrite.com

and has anyone used them to replace any 194 bulbs? (headlight, doors, dome lights, etc)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Don't buy these.....they will stop working after a few weeks. The heat will kill them. They are only good for your interior lights.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what if u never use ur high beams or even integrated fogs?...will it still get too hot? ...i have HIDs and dont use my high beams or fogs

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
When summer comes around and the headlight housing get hot, that will kill there bulbs(chip LED types). I don't think it gets too hot from having your low beams on. I actually have a second set of the chip LED in the headlight housing and they are working fine for now. But I know when it starts to get hot again in the summer time, it will kill these LED's. I have another set of LED's(Piaa's) that I will put in to see how well they work.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
supernova bulbs from autolumination.com can hold up to the heat of the headlight housing

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There actually will be a new type of LED showing up in the market soon. It will be much brighter than current types. There was an article in a PS few months ago. They probably wont be cheap to start with. But I guess they will be bright enough to be used as like head lights.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It really doesn't matter how bright it is. It needs to stay at a low temp in order for it not to burn out inside the headlight housing since it gets pretty hot in the close corridors. That's the problem we are all facing. That's why the Supernova bulbs are the ones that might be the answer to our problems. The only problem is that you have to file the heatsink down a little bit in order to get it in the 194 socket. It's not hard though.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well I'm going to take out the 194 LEDs once I install my halos just so I don't detract attention from the halos. I'm going to put one on the high beam, and then other on the blinker, so I don't need a 194 light in anymore. My car already attracts way to many cops, more lights will just make it worse.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
LED's do not get very hot... that is why they are used in computers and other small electrical appliances.
[/b]

The headlights get hot and that is why the led's burn out in the headlight housing when they are used to replace the 194's.If you had read post 5,6 & 8 you would know what the subject matter was on the way heat in the headlight housing affects the led's.just my .02$

1 - 20 of 20 Posts