Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Monkee, regarding the ingen CAI they installed for u, is the new one ur currently using available for ourchase now? And if so if so where or how wud u recommend I get one? Sorry im new to this lol but I wanted to start since this is my first car I was able to purchase on my own n Its def my new baby ha...I got the 2014 mazda 6 touring w/tech :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm seeing a 3HP and 4LB-Ft Trq increase from the charts. Those numbers seem a little low but actually make sense to me versus the 16HP quoted by the Injen tech. I can't imagine that adding a cold air intake is going to provide a 9-10% increase in HP. My guess would be that an intake/exhaust combo will net about 10-12 HP (5-6%) for a 175 HP engine. The HP numbers would proportionately jump (5-6% still in play), more or less, with a higher HP engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, Injen is currently selly the "new" CAI. Note that the "new" tube has the sensor mounted towards the rear of the tube, not the top of the tube like the previous model. Check with Autoanything.com. Worth every penny.

You'll love this car...I love mine. Make it your own.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey guys i got the newest intake on after trying out 4 tubes. The current one i have is the production model and i have put 1000 miles on it. I do i city driving and i am getting around 27.2 mpg . Normal driving no gunning it off the line..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Did we ever get confirmation on the horsepower gain from the new CAI?

16hp would make me very happy. :lol:
3hp...not so much. :mad:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Vance - I'd feel more confident if I could see a dyno graph showing that, or if Injen actually published a 16hp gain on their web site. I haven't seen either, which is what prompted me to ask the question.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Vance - I'd feel more confident if I could see a dyno graph showing that, or if Injen actually published a 16hp gain on their web site. I haven't seen either, which is what prompted me to ask the question.
[email protected] email Adrian he is the guy who told me that. he said after moving over the sensor the dead spot was gone that is why the increased horse power. from driving the car i can tell you off the line feels the same about from 3 gear to 4 gear you feel it for sure..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Vance. I contacted Adrian this morning, and this is what he said:

"...The intake system is available and is been updated to have correct fuel trim readings. The intake system was dyno tested and produced anywhere from 11-13 HP. The p/n:SP6073"

So a little short of 16hp (which would have been amazing), but still a respectable gain for a $175 bolt-on upgrade. If I can find a way to coax another 10 or 20 hp from other simple mods, I'd be very happy with the car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Vance. I contacted Adrian this morning, and this is what he said:

"...The intake system is available and is been updated to have correct fuel trim readings. The intake system was dyno tested and produced anywhere from 11-13 HP. The p/n:SP6073"

So a little short of 16hp (which would have been amazing), but still a respectable gain for a $175 bolt-on upgrade. If I can find a way to coax another 10 or 20 hp from other simple mods, I'd be very happy with the car.
Good deal. yes 11-13 hp for 160$ what i paid is no bad at all. and the extra mpgs. i do all city driving and i am getting 27.2 before i was at 26.4 around

so we are close to 200hp hot bad for that car i think more then enough power

·
Registered
782 Posts
So I had an idea last night, and did some Google searching this morning. CAI tubes can be ceramic coated (might cost $100). Theoretically, it should keep the engine bay heat from heating up the metal tube, which in turn should keep the intake air inside the tube cooler.

From what I've read, for every 10 degree reduction in air temperature, a normally aspirated engine should see a 1% increase in power. Looks like I'm not the first one to think of this. I'll likely do this to wring out a couple of more hp in an effort to get to my 200hp to 210hp target.

Air Intake Temperature Before Ceramic Coating:

Air Intake Temperature After Ceramic Coating:

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I've heard mixed answers on this. Now that more people have this, I want to ask again. How difficult is installation? What parts did you have to remove if any? Wheel, fender/bumper? Nothing at all?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
When I installed my first CAI, I removed the lower cover by taking off all the clips and letting it just hang. Be sure to remove the clips off the front fender wells for better access and you can push the filter through and attach it to the tube. I tightened the screw through the wheel well.

When I brought my car to Injen as the tester for the 2nd gen, I'm sure they removed my front bumper.

21 - 40 of 172 Posts