Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all know CP-E is a GREAT manufacturerer of aftermarket parts for their car and they ONLY HAVE GOOD FEEDBACK.
unfortunately for a set of headers + y pipe + extended belt and high flo cat for a 2006 auto tranny v6 it would cost me around 1300!!

CPE owns us on the market for that because thats the only option we have to free up power. n e one know of a company that could produce these for a fraction of the price..??? talking $500 shipped (slightly higher than average on the market which is around $450 based on a few forums i check up on (evo forum n' scion forum n 350z)

tell me wat u all think.
the only reason i could think of it being so high is because its A for a v6 not a 4 banger and B its high quality material

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
you are looking at larger markets, which sets your price target off a bit.

but MSDS does have a cheaper header option available for the V6 if needed. outside of that, there aren't many willing to invest in such a small and uncertain market.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
CPE personally pisses me off with how the parts come out. the headers don't fit the 06' or 07' and the last time i checked, making one's for the 06-07' is on about as far of a back burner as you can get. sad to say the main company who "supports" the M6 only supports the MS3 and MS6 if it's newer than 06'. I still couldn't swallow spending 1500 bucks for headers without exhaust and then have to have them mounted on my car but that's me. if cp-e ever makes some for the v6 i hope we have 3-5 other options so price might go down.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
they're a small business and don't have that many employees, so every product they start to develop is quite an investment and needs a certain amount of buyers before they can break even. ms3 and ms6 products are more likely to sell than regular m6 products due to the fact that they are limited runs of cars with a much higher percentage of people who will buy the products.

think of it this way...70,000 mazda6es were sold last year (or just about.) how many of those cars will EVER see any sort of modification? wheels/tires/exhausts are the most common of course, but headers? an intake with a mafci unit? now think of how many of the mazdaspeed 3/6es will see modifications and you'll understand why they're making products for those cars. plus, with both cars getting much more recognition than the 6i or 6s, there are many more companies doing the same thing as CP-E and as such, they need to get good products out there to compete with other options in a shorter timeframe.

and as far as the "back burner" comment goes, i think we can all agree that the prize goes to 6i headers for the "Snowball's Chance In Hell" award.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
CPE personally pisses me off with how the parts come out. the headers don't fit the 06' or 07' and the last time i checked, making one's for the 06-07' is on about as far of a back burner as you can get.[/b]
I don't understand how you can be pissed at CP-E for the headers not fitting MY '06-'07. The change in the exhaust layout was largely Mazda's decision and CP-E had no way to anticipate that decision.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't understand how you can be pissed at CP-E for the headers not fitting MY '06-'07. The change in the exhaust layout was largely Mazda's decision and CP-E had no way to anticipate that decision.[/b]
i agree 100 percent

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I agree about CP-E not seeing the changes coming that Mazda did and I can't blame then. I own an '07 and would love to have a set of their headers (I currently own their MAFci and it rocks). My curiosity is how much of a change would need to be done to the headers in order for them to fit the '06-'07 models? I think one of the changes Mazda did that it is effecting the headers is the oil pan (Mazda increased the oil capacity in'06-'07 from 5.5 qts to 6 qts). And from my observation (aka: may not be fact) is that this only effects the design of the front set of headers and not the rear. I wonder if some minor fabbing/bending to the front header set would correct this issue, but then we might be effecting the benefits of having equal lenght headers. Any advice, suggestions, comments about possible options and potential complexity needed to get the old headers to fit the newer models or to make the old headers universal to fit all V6 models ('03-'07)? Thanks guys!

Paul

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Mazda redesigned 06+ headers and they are much less restrictive than the previous model. I have seen the diagram and I personally don't see the need to making an even better product which would probably has less gain compares to the 03-05 CPE headers. In other words, you won't get much from it even if it exist.

Please do some researches first before blaming anyone or any party.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Ummmmmm comparing OTHER long tube headers for cars that have a limited aftermarket (ie, not a Mustang, Camaro, etc.) These are actually pretty evenly priced for the entire setup. What do the contour guys pay for long tube headers? I would bet its the same ballpark.....

If you want to SAVE some money, you can buy just the long tube headers and then get a shop to fab up your own exhaust from the header back..... although you might not meet emissions and be driving around with a CEL, it might save you a few bucks. Or you can get the MSDS headers and do your own exhaust but you wont get the gains the CPE does.

Also, dont be mad at them because they dont fit the 06-07. Mazda made a design change and with SUCH A SMALL AFTERMARKET we have, im glad we at least have a few intakes to choose from.

This isnt an Evo, Mustang, Camaro, Civic aftermarket..... there also are a limited number of buyers for these. How many people RIGHT NOW would honestly buy headers for an 06-07? 5-10 maybe? How many people would buy parts for the mazdaspeed 6/3....25...50...100?

When you are a small company, you target the demographic and area you can make the most money. Headers for an 06-07 mazda 6 certainly is not that.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Mazda redesigned 06+ headers and they are much less restrictive than the previous model. I have seen the diagram and I personally don't see the need to making an even better product which would probably has less gain compares to the 03-05 CPE headers. In other words, you won't get much from it even if it exist.

Please do some researches first before blaming anyone or any party.[/b]

And thats why the factory rated HP dropped from 220 to 215 in 06 because the exhaust flows better.Long tube headers will still benefit the application of an 06-07.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Sean Hyland Motorsport did a set of long-tube headers for the Contour 2.5L V6 and they were $1300 as well, albeit SHM and cheap/economical don't belong in the same sentence, let alone same page. However, as we always state, this is not a Mustang or a Civic, the performance aftermarket is tiny and will remain that way because the vast majority here would rather spend their money on wheels and tires, stereos and speakers and dress-up rather than speed-up. Case in point Wagner Performance..

However do feel free to contact Kooks Headers and ask them how much they would charge you for a one-off set of long tube headers, production costs, fuel costs in driving back and forth or renting a vehicle while your car spends at least a month at Kooks for design and fitment, it would well exceed $1300. IIRC Kooks designed the CP-e headers.

·
Registered
456 Posts
hey everyone. i might be able to fab up a set of longtube headers for $700-900 dollars. i would need someone to lend me a set of cp-e headers so i can get an idea of the shapes, sizes, turns, etc, for about a month. i'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I don't understand how you can be pissed at CP-E for the headers not fitting MY '06-'07. The change in the exhaust layout was largely Mazda's decision and CP-E had no way to anticipate that decision.[/b]
i'm not pissed at cp-e for not knowing about mazda redoing the bay area i'm more irritated that they have no want/desire/urgency to make anything for the M6. I'm wondering what'll happen if mazda decides to ditch the MS6/MS3 after 08' sales year like a lot of people think they might.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You can go to a good muffler shop and ask if they have the ability to make some for you. It would most likely cost less but, as 84fordman says, it would take some time and you would be without your car for all that time. So, you are just S.O.L.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i keep trying to get my bud to let me borrow one of his crotch rockets for a while when i get the $ for custom headers. there are a few shops in town that would probably make them but i need the ride to and from work.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Actually if there was a good shop near you I wouldnt think it would cost much more to have a custom set done. It isnt like it is a huge undertaking for a shop that is set up to make custom headers. I have never priced it, and I probably dont have any near me. I am kinda hoping my buddy will get bored one day and find a cheap tubing bender to buy.

You cant really blaim CPE, they are just a business trying to make as much money as they can. You can be mad about it, cuz your the poor bastard that has to pay tons of money to them, but thats life.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think its funny that we had several companies attempt to make turbo kits but only one company that sell headers. Then we have several companies that make exhaust which really don't show any power gains with stock headers. You would think we would have some more options for headers especially since they actually make power gains.

I guess I'm still thinking about the days I use to have my Civic SI. Even when you narrowed it down to a specific company you still had to decide whether it was going to be 4-1 or 4-2-1. Ah, those were the days.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I think its funny that we had several companies attempt to make turbo kits but only one company that sell headers. Then we have several companies that make exhaust which really don't show any power gains with stock headers. You would think we would have some more options for headers especially since they actually make power gains.

I guess I'm still thinking about the days I use to have my Civic SI. Even when you narrowed it down to a specific company you still had to decide whether it was going to be 4-1 or 4-2-1. Ah, those were the days.[/b]
i know what you mean man. my dakota had tons of parts for it and i used the companies wisely lol. i think i spent less to more than double hp/tq on that car than it would cost me for exhaust/headers on the 6.

·
Registered
456 Posts
like i said people i could fab up some headers. just give it some time. and i will most likely need someone to let me borrow some cp-e ones.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts