Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Chicago Auto Show today, Subaru announced the new Forester 2.5XT, which will take its place at the top of the Forester line above the X and XS.
Autoweek has put out a press release on this latest addition to the Subaru lineup.

The 2.5XT uses a version of the 2.5 liter flat four engine in the upcoming USDM Impreza STi, tuned for greater low-end torque. With 235lb-ft available at 3600RPM, this cross-ute should go like a cannonball.
Here are some details:
2.5L turbocharged engine with AVCS
[email protected] and 235 [email protected]
Unique styling features include aluminum finish roof rails, body colored door handles, black side wall tires, and a sport gauge pack.

To me the really exciting part of this is that it may herald a new age for Subaru. The 2.5 liter turbo engine may become the mainstay of the Subaru lineup, much as the 3.5VQ has for Nissan. Many Subaru fans are hoping that it will show up this year in the Baja and Legacy in addition to the Forester.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: New Forester! Now with Turbo!

Why did Subaru go the turbo route instead of more displacement? I would have, personally, rather have seen a strong 6 then a 4 + turbo.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Yes, I think alot of Forrester Owners are hanging out for that engine to come to Australia !

We have only the Stock 2.5 engine, and its OK, but not overly powerful...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'New Forester! Now with Turbo!'

Originally posted by applejax

Why did Subaru go the turbo route instead of more displacement?  I would have, personally, rather have seen a strong 6 then a 4 + turbo.[/b]
There are some issues with the 6 cylinder engine. Subaru at present only makes one, and it displaces 3 liters and makes 220bhp and I believe about 190 lb-ft of twist. It is currently only offered in Legacy Outbacks, and isn't offered with a manual transmission. That engine is produced in the US, and I think their volume is limited.

Secondly I don't think the Impreza platform that the Forester is based on isn't ready for the size of the engine. Also there's CAFE to consider. With AVCS, a light pressure 2.5t should get nearly the same CAFE numbers as the NA 2.5. Under full boost conditions it will probably be another story. :D

Finally, like I said I think Subaru is banking on turbo technology as the next thing they can hang their hat on. Boxer engines, AWD, and now turbo. Several knowledgeable folks over at the NASIOC have predicted that the Subaru 2.5t will become as ubiquitous as the Nissan 3.5VQ. Can't wait!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Very interesting. Changing my opinions about turbos would be an accomplishment, even though I do always try to keep an open mind. It would be an impressive feat if the turbos were spoken in the same way as AWD and Nissan engines.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Given that it reaches its torque peak at 3600RPM, I'd say they've tuned it to behave more like a NA engine. I'm guessing a pretty small, quick spooling turbo under light pressure.

Here's a candid pic of a Black Forester XT at the Chicago Show:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Nice interior and love the huge sunroof! The two interior pics are different - I guess packages? Or maybe the differences in the console are just due to angle?

but it's still too "SUVish" for me.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Now see, if Mazda had a hatch, my consideration for something like this would go way down, and if they had an AWD hatch, my consideration for another vehicle would be minimal.

Performance is good.
AWD is good.
Hatches are good.

Why can't I get all three?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The first one is auto, the second manual. The first one have standard/carbon style door decorations, while the second has wood trim.

The diffrences I see.

Ohh there's something red on the stereon on the first pic.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

No, it's not the angle...I just looked at my monitor from every conceivable direction and they still look the same (hence different...)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: New Forester! Now with Turbo!

Hmm you don't have a 3D monitor, Apple :D You can like lean to the left to se the car from the left :)

Nhaa my point is - they are the same exept for door trims and gearbox.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Replying to Topic 'New Forester! Now with Turbo!'

Originally posted by mazdamarla
            Don't DO this to me!   The Forrester was one of my vehicle choices before I saw the Mazda6!  Are you trying to sway me away from the Mazda?!   ;)  [/b]
Sorry Marla, I am the

I am in the same dilemma as you it seems, so I see no reason not to drag you and AJ down with me. Muuuhuuuhuuhaaahaaahaaa!
I can just imagine spanking some poor unsuspecting muscle car owner with this and leaving him to cry about being beaten by a boxy little SUV wagon thingy. How much more stealthy can you get than a Forester? I could just about get over the looks just for the pleasure of that experience.

Some performance numbers to speculate about:
The JDM Forester uses a 2.0 liter engine (detuned from the JDM WRX) making about the same horsepower but less torque does 0-60 in just about 6 seconds flat. I would imagine the USDM will be faster than that. As far as SUVs go, you're into Porsche Cayenne territory there. W00t!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

not sure if this makes a difference to anyone....but turboed engines i believe increase insurance costs...just something to think about.

-yasir

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks Dad. ;)
Actually I think one of the benefits to this car would be that most ricers and street racers wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, because it's not cool enough. I don't think you'll see as many "I'm 16, got a WRX for my b-day and wrecked it after a week" type threads with the Forester.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts