Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the dealership haveing my car for a week and a half I finally got it back today. I brought it in last wed. cause my engine was making this really loud ticking noise around 2k - 3k rpm. Anyways Mazda gave the go ahead to just replace the whole engine under warranty. I had 36,000km on it. Everything seems to be running perfect now and the whole engine in general seems much quieter now. I was very impressed with the service my dealership gave me as they rented me a car for the whole time I was without mine. Defenitly great customer service.

Now the question I have is would they have replaced it with a 2006 engine or a 2005 engine. cause i notice that the 2006 models have 5hp less. Also im guessing for the next 1000km I should drive slow and try to not go over 3k rpm. like when i bought the car correct?

Also I wanna make sure I treat this engine very good so nothing like this happens again so im wondering is it ok to downshift so you are engine breaking or is that really bad for the engine?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
The 5hp difference is due to the exhaust system, not the engine itself. Also, you got a rebuilt motor, so I would guess it is a 2005.

As far as breakin goes, no, drive it hard. Vary the RPMs a lot and don't use cruise control. That will help everything get seated properly

·
Registered
987 Posts
I thought the 5hp differance was because they now require the accessory system to be hooked up while getting crank #s?

The best way to see what engine you have is this..when the dealer gets it in go look at it in the crate (or pallet). Look for a small rectangular plate kinda stuck to the engine. This indicates it's a remanufactured engine. Next..Look at the front cam pully. If there's a tensioner it means you got the older '05 engine. If not you got the updated '05 or early '06 engine (there's also a manufacturing date on the block).

I would follow dabears2k advice on how to break it in. And welcome to the club of new engines!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! I just hope that nothing goes wrong with this engine now. Was there alot of known issues with the previous engines or do you think i just got a lemon? Seems weird that mazda just replaced my whole engine rather then just fix a problem.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Actually the power diffrence is due to the updated SAE guidelines. If you look at dyno sheets they show the car is more inline with the 06 ratings

·
Registered
344 Posts
thats how i got my new engine damn ticking noise. So did they figure out what caused the noise?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats how i got my new engine damn ticking noise. So did they figure out what caused the noise?
[/b]
So this could be a very common occurance then. Yeah it was a ticking that almost made the engine sound like a diesel. They never really gave me an answer cause they said the engine gets sent back to Mazda to diagnose the problem there. They said it was probably somthing to do with the valves though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
MZDASPED
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing