Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’ve been lurking trying to find any forums about this and can not. I bought a 2004 Mazda 6i manual last year and dropped a ebay 2004 2.3l engine in. (I own a 05 Mazda 6 v6 and am quite familiar with the platform.) Everything got buttoned up correctly as I can remember. I started it up and it fired but sounded like it was misfiring. When I woudl give it gas it would run but wouldn’t idle. I tried keeping my foot where the rpms were at around 750-1000 but that didn’t allow it to relearn idle. My dad drove it home and at every stop it would die otherwise it would run under load. (I had it at my uncles since I didn’t have a engine hoist.) It has all new fluids and what not. I plug in my ob2 reader and it showed P2088 Cam position actuator control circuit low bank 1. I replaced all the spark plugs, spark wires and distributor. Still the same code. I went to recently plug my ob2 reader in and now I’m not getting a signal no boot up on the reader or anything. I have no idea what I’d going on with why it won’t idle. I red saying that it could be the pcv or something like that.
Could it be the old gas? Electrical issue?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Rally Racer
2,644 Posts
Hello,
I’ve been lurking trying to find any forums about this and can not. I bought a 2004 Mazda 6i manual last year and dropped a ebay 2004 2.3l engine in. (I own a 05 Mazda 6 v6 and am quite familiar with the platform.) Everything got buttoned up correctly as I can remember. I started it up and it fired but sounded like it was misfiring. When I woudl give it gas it would run but wouldn’t idle. I tried keeping my foot where the rpms were at around 750-1000 but that didn’t allow it to relearn idle. My dad drove it home and at every stop it would die otherwise it would run under load. (I had it at my uncles since I didn’t have a engine hoist.) It has all new fluids and what not. I plug in my ob2 reader and it showed P2088 Cam position actuator control circuit low bank 1. I replaced all the spark plugs, spark wires and distributor. Still the same code. I went to recently plug my ob2 reader in and now I’m not getting a signal no boot up on the reader or anything. I have no idea what I’d going on with why it won’t idle. I red saying that it could be the pcv or something like that.
Could it be the old gas? Electrical issue?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Hey there, you are so close.
It's always a good idea to have fresh high tension ignition parts when you replace the motor. Those parts are unrelated to your problem but it is still good in general for when it is operating as it should.

Start with the code, P2088 - OCV Acuator Circuit Low, it can completely explain what is happening.

The computer is monitoring a low voltage between the oil control valve and computer. A wire could have been cut or crushed in the wiring harness during the motor swap. Perhaps even a connector is not fully seated. You could also have a faulty OCV that is not communicating with the PCM and thus influencing the VTCS and/or CMP and causing the timing to retard.

I would run a diagnostic on that system before going back to the timing components. There could have been a timing slip or too much slack in the belt but that is down the list a little bit.

I will include the diagnostic steps for a P2088 that you can verify.

DTC P2088 (L3) page 1 of 2.jpg DTC P2088 (L3) page 2 of 2.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there, you are so close.
It's always a good idea to have fresh high tension ignition parts when you replace the motor. Those parts are unrelated to your problem but it is still good in general for when it is operating as it should.

Start with the code, P2088 - OCV Acuator Circuit Low, it can completely explain what is happening.

The computer is monitoring a low voltage between the oil control valve and computer. A wire could have been cut or crushed in the wiring harness during the motor swap. Perhaps even a connector is not fully seated. You could also have a faulty OCV that is not communicating with the PCM and thus influencing the VTCS and/or CMP and causing the timing to retard.

I would run a diagnostic on that system before going back to the timing components. There could have been a timing slip or too much slack in the belt but that is down the list a little bit.

I will include the diagnostic steps for a P2088 that you can verify.

View attachment 240457 View attachment 240458
Thanks a bunch! I’ll give it a go this weekend and get back to you on how it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts