Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry i haven't made any posts in awhile my cars just been in and out the shop and i been busy with testing everything. Anyway, I recently had the re-designed cp-e catback exhaust put on. This is a 3 piece section exhaust. For those of you who were worried about the exhaust sound, this is your answer. From about the axel back the end section has been cut. From there you can swap in an interchangable end section. You can now choose to have either just the pipe section or acutally have a slip on 2nd muffler. The tone of the exhaust system has become much smoother. The sort of raspyness that was present with just the catless pipe back is completely eliminated. I have tested this new catback with both catted versions of the DP and the non catted. The rear section is extremely easy to swap in and out. Like the mid section, the rear section uses a slip on design with the torque band exhaust ring. I have a video made but i do not think its worth me putting up. The reason behind this is because when i listen to the sound on the video it is completely different from what I acutally hear. The mic is either too sensitive or something and the exhaust sounds so much louder then it acutally really is. If you guys really need the video i'll put it up but it does nothing to let you hear what the exhaust acutally sounds like. At this point, the sound is much like a sti with a turbo back exhaust. The tone is very smooth and even at full throttle the sound is not annoying. I will post pictures of the sectioned exhaust and CP-E says the 3 piece section is available now. I do not know the details of how the sale of the 3 piece will work but anyone at cp-e will be able to explain it to you.

On a side note.... my car is at cp-e right now getting the FMIC installed. I'm very excited to start testing on that so i'll let everyone know how it goes. I should be getting my car back around thursday or friday i hope. so i'll do some testing and pictures for ya'll.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Glad to see that the exhaust is developing even further. Nice to know we have progressed from introduction to trefinement on these mods so quickly. Can't wait to see the FMIC!

Glad to see that the exhaust is developing even further. Nice to know we have progressed from introduction to trefinement on these mods so quickly. Can't wait to see the FMIC!
[/b]
Any noticable difference in power woth the new, muffled, exhaust?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
first and foremost...i know i speak for many members when i say THANK YOU for donating your car to help improve the Mazda6 community!

secondly....i'm sure that just about everyone on here is going to want you to post your video regardless! i know i want to see it. So please post it!

:yesnod: Thanks again!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Glad to hear about the sound quality of the catback with the 2nd muffler (my days with "louder is better" are done).

The RPM website lists the 2nd muffler as a $180 add on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I installed my CP-E cat back exhaust last week. It is pretty loud, and I might want an additional muffler in the future. Do you think I can buy the 3rd pipe with the muffler on it from CP-E or RPM?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
according to cp-e the additional section will be available for everyone. I really don;t know how this will work with people who bought the exhaust already. I think CP-E is going to do something so everyone who wants the 2nd muffler can get it. OK i will post the video by end of day tomorrow. but like i said the video does nothing to replicate the sound of the actual exhaust system at all ^__^. As far as power gains i really do not feel any difference. The sound is just smoothed out a lot but power seems about the same

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am kinda looking for that rice burner sound. Love the "fast and furious" sound, but thats me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
has CP-E updated their website about this or are they selling the old stock first before they launch it????
[/b]
I am wondering the same thing. I wanna catback soon. I just didnt like the sound of the cpe system. If the raspiness has been eliminated, then I will probably get it. Since I already have the intake and dp. But I wouldnt want to buy it from rpm or somebody and then get sent the older catback

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I wanna catback soon. I just didnt like the sound of the cpe system. If the raspiness has been eliminated, then I will probably get it. Since I already have the intake and dp. But I wouldnt want to buy it from rpm or somebody and then get sent the older catback
[/b]
The RPM website ( http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...products_id=304 ) shows the 2nd muffler as an option for an extra $180. Check out the bottom of the page just above the dyno charts. If you order the extra muffler, they will also send you the straight pipe so you can swap it out as desired.

I'd guess that the 2nd muffler is backwards compatible with the original cat back.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cp-e said they would update the website as soon as possible but the 3 section exhaust system IS for sale now. It IS available for everyone now as well. I'll load up the video in a couple hours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cp-e said they would update the website as soon as possible but the 3 section exhaust system IS for sale now. It IS available for everyone now as well. I'll load up the video in a couple hours.
[/b]
Nice!!! That is really good news. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Where is the video?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
video is up
CP-E 3piece new exhaust

here it is guys. remember this does no justice to the true sound of the exhaust. It is acutally much louder on VIDEO then it is in PERSON.

·
Registered
364 Posts
how about some pics from under the car

I'd like to see this muffler

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you tried any long-term constant 70-75MPH drives on the highway? One of my biggest concerns is an annoying drone...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts