Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car started having issues recently when shifting into second during "spirited" driving (up or down). I would shift into second, let the clutch out, gas it...nothing, engine just revs like crazy. I push the clutch back in, let it out and it grabs. It only happens occasionally and I can not get it to reproduce on demand. So after this happening four times. I took the car in. The dealer called me today and said my clutch is GONE. Which I pretty much already knew, being that the clutch let out right off the floor and had almost no travel. They are ordering a new one, and opening it up tomorrow to see if there are other parts that may need to be replaced.

I'll try to keep this post up with more info as I get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel ya...mine is in the shop, but i have a new problem, they (mazda) may not foot the bill because the normal wear and tear warranty is 12,000, i have 12,800 miles on it.....it is still in the shop with no decision made except the one about me needing a new clutch.....below is my post from last week....let me know if you hear more, this sux bals

"Let me start out by saying I frickin love my speed6, by far the most fun vehicle i have ever owned. I came to the forum today looking for a thread on anyone having trouble with their clutch, i was going to start my own but here we are. I noticed my gears slipping a little the last week or so so i took it in to have it checked out. I have owned a manual since i was 17, my second car and ever since stayed with the stick, i am 28 now - i say this because i am pretty positive i didn't run this thing into the ground. Anyway, they took a peak and said it is def slipping and will prob need replaced; the catch, i have 12,800 miles on the thing, warranty is up to 12. i have two friends working at the dealership, one is manager of service dept, so they are doing all they can to hook me up, but it is up to the area mazda rep. i may be eating the cost of this so my question is; are there any upgrades i can put in there while i am getting the shaft...i.e sport shifter, clutch, etc. any info will be greatly appreciated. To all you considering buying a speed6, even with this hickup, i wouldn't trade it for anything...well anything in that range, perfect balance between fun and family and everything in betwen. By the way the best part of the story, dealership pays for the rental, they def hooked me up with a Hyundai Elantra to drive around......Gee thanks for the upgrade......"

·
Registered
156 Posts
I feel ya...mine is in the shop, but i have a new problem, they (mazda) may not foot the bill because the normal wear and tear warranty is 12,000, i have 12,800 miles on it.....it is still in the shop with no decision made except the one about me needing a new clutch.....below is my post from last week....let me know if you hear more, this sux bals

"Let me start out by saying I frickin love my speed6, by far the most fun vehicle i have ever owned. I came to the forum today looking for a thread on anyone having trouble with their clutch, i was going to start my own but here we are. I noticed my gears slipping a little the last week or so so i took it in to have it checked out. I have owned a manual since i was 17, my second car and ever since stayed with the stick, i am 28 now - i say this because i am pretty positive i didn't run this thing into the ground. Anyway, they took a peak and said it is def slipping and will prob need replaced; the catch, i have 12,800 miles on the thing, warranty is up to 12. i have two friends working at the dealership, one is manager of service dept, so they are doing all they can to hook me up, but it is up to the area mazda rep. i may be eating the cost of this so my question is; are there any upgrades i can put in there while i am getting the shaft...i.e sport shifter, clutch, etc. any info will be greatly appreciated. To all you considering buying a speed6, even with this hickup, i wouldn't trade it for anything...well anything in that range, perfect balance between fun and family and everything in betwen. By the way the best part of the story, dealership pays for the rental, they def hooked me up with a Hyundai Elantra to drive around......Gee thanks for the upgrade......"
[/b]
You may want to print out dstone20's issue and present it. If anything, it shows you are not the only one. I think there is another post of clutch related dealer issues. If I find it I will post it here.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mazda may not foot the bill because the normal wear and tear warranty is 12,000, i have 12,800 miles on it.....it is still in the shop with no decision made except the one about me needing a new clutch.[/b]
I had my clutch done at 45,000 miles under warranty. :yesnod: Press them if you have to. Talk to the area Rep and even Mazda CR if you have to, but press them. That is crap, though. After all of the problems on the V6's you'd think they'd get this sorted out. :swearin: I feel for you MS6 guys!

·
Registered
566 Posts
While it SUCKS big time to have to do a clutch at 10k, it's eerily reminiscent of the stuff I was reading on the Evo board when they first came out here. I'm not sure if they ever got the high incidence of clutch failure solved?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had my clutch done at 45,000 miles under warranty. :yesnod: Press them if you have to. Talk to the area Rep and even Mazda CR if you have to, but press them. That is crap, though. After all of the problems on the V6's you'd think they'd get this sorted out. :swearin: I feel for you MS6 guys!
[/b]
/sign. My '03 6S was slipping when it was cold ever since about 25k miles. At 43k I just traded it for an MS6.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer called today. Clutch will be in on Tuesday at which point they will open it up and see if there is any other damage done. Interestingly enough, they said thay called Mazda's Tech line and the tech line reported they have no reports of any other clutch related issues on the MS6. That has to be BS, I have see a number of posts on here with people who have had clutch/trans issues with their MS6. I know my service guy very well and I know he wouldn't BS me. But he said that's the news from the tech line. WTF?

In any case it's being fully covered under warranty and they gave me a fully loaded Mazda 3 2.3 hatch with Nav. Not a bad little rental.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Dealer called today. Clutch will be in on Tuesday at which point they will open it up and see if there is any other damage done. Interestingly enough, they said thay called Mazda's Tech line and the tech line reported they have no reports of any other clutch related issues on the MS6. That has to be BS, I have see a number of posts on here with people who have had clutch/trans issues with their MS6. I know my service guy very well and I know he wouldn't BS me. But he said that's the news from the tech line. WTF?

In any case it's being fully covered under warranty and they gave me a fully loaded Mazda 3 2.3 hatch with Nav. Not a bad little rental.
[/b]
tech line always says that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Got my car back today. Paperwork says they replaced the Clutch Cover, Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc and Flywheel. Also performed an alignment. Happy to say the shuddering I was experiencing is gone, however the clutch feels VERY soft. Way easier to push down than before, not sure I like it. Also, the clutch engages sooner than before. When the car was new the clutch engaged all the way at the top, now it engages slightly below mid-point. Might try the adjustment posted on the board to see if that helps, if not back to the dealership it goes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Update

Got my car back today. Paperwork says they replaced the Clutch Cover, Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc and Flywheel. Also performed an alignment. Happy to say the shuddering I was experiencing is gone, however the clutch feels VERY soft. Way easier to push down than before, not sure I like it. Also, the clutch engages sooner than before. When the car was new the clutch engaged all the way at the top, now it engages slightly below mid-point. Might try the adjustment posted on the board to see if that helps, if not back to the dealership it goes.
[/b]

It is strange that you mention that. When I got my transmission replaced (third gear was popping out so they went and threw in a new transmission, clutch, pressure plate, TO Bearing) I noticed that after I got the car back the clutch felt feather light compared to what it was like before. At first I attributed it to having to drive around in a slushbox for a week while parts were on order but since you noticed the same thing I wonder if there was a change in the pressure plate design.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It is strange that you mention that. When I got my transmission replaced (third gear was popping out so they went and threw in a new transmission, clutch, pressure plate, TO Bearing) I noticed that after I got the car back the clutch felt feather light compared to what it was like before. At first I attributed it to having to drive around in a slushbox for a week while parts were on order but since you noticed the same thing I wonder if there was a change in the pressure plate design.
[/b]

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the tech adjusted the pedal assembly after installing the new clutch. The differences you're noting are exactly the same changes I noticed after I adjusted my clutch pedal. This is they way they should have come from the factory IMO.
[/b]
Same here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
While it SUCKS big time to have to do a clutch at 10k, it's eerily reminiscent of the stuff I was reading on the Evo board when they first came out here. I'm not sure if they ever got the high incidence of clutch failure solved?
[/b]

You know what guys...I had an 03 rsxtype S and they replaced my clutch for free at 16,000. I never raced it or anything and i know how to drive. All the new cars jsut have problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts