Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day before yesterday I took my 04 6i MTX to McDonald Mazda here in Denver for one last ditch effort to get them to help me out with the clutch. {The first time ever at this dealership for service}. I Tried 2 other dealers in town no dice with them.

I just got a call from Rob in service they are going to cover clutch and all labor. I will need to pay for some other parts… total of 176.00 out of pocket sounds good to me.

BTW the car has 49,875 miles on it. I will update after Friday

Vince :drive:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Ha Ha!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
50,000 miles and you have to change the clutch?

how long does the clutch normally last?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

[/b]
some go out about 25,000 miles

·
Registered
210 Posts

[/b]
Too many variables to guestimate a "normal" lifespan, it depends on how well you drive stick and how hard you are on the car (jackrabbit starts, deliberately slipping the clutch for smoother shifts, etc). I've known people that have driven over 100K on a single clutch, others get 25K out of them. My own 95 Ford Probe 2.0L ran about 75,000 and felt like it needed a clutch, but as it turned out, the clutch had plenty of life left on it (mechanic showed it to me). The slippage was likely due to a faulty throw-out bearing.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Which other 2 dealers did you try? Did you take it to the dealer you bought your 6 at?

I will keep McDonald in mind if I ever have second thoughts about Sill-Terhar. I do everything there so they have been treating me well so far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What were your symptoms that made you know your clutch was going bad? Was it shudder, slippage, noise? Was it a V6 or the I4?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Maybe they use to be better ...

orig owner of a 1989 Ford Probe GT (read Mazda MX6), 220+K miles ... still on the orig clutch. :)
[/b]

220 k miles??? your driving on a thin ice man, but not bad for a ford probe :) Not sure how well mazda's will hold up, I guess we can find out in a 5 years once people reach that mark.

·
Registered
210 Posts
220 k miles??? your driving on a thin ice man, but not bad for a ford probe :) Not sure how well mazda's will hold up, I guess we can find out in a 5 years once people reach that mark.
[/b]
The Probe is a Ford in name only. Everything from the chassis to the drivetrain is Mazda, essentially an MX-6/626. Both of my Probes (an 89 GL and a 95 SE) were pretty reliable - not exactly the most solid vehicles from an NVH standpoint, but reliable nonetheless. I got rid of my 89 with 170K on the original engine and ATX and still going strong. Well cared for, 220K miles shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
900 Posts
they are going to cover clutch and all labor. I will need to pay for some other parts… total of 176.00 out of pocket sounds good to me.

[/b]
Good job. I had mine done completely under warranty at 45K miles! :yesnod:

Too many variables to guestimate a "normal" lifespan...
[/b]
On M6s's it would seem to be a good thing if they outlast the 50K vehicle warranty.

Clutch should last 100k+ under normal use. This clutch in this car sux and probably wont last that long.
[/b]
Agreed. A clutch in any given vehicle under average driving should last at least 100K miles! Ours don't!!!

I'm going to start a link for owners to doc when theirs was replaced under warranty. This should help the reat of you get yoours covered in the 4/50 period as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Day before yesterday I took my 04 6i MTX to McDonald Mazda here in Denver for one last ditch effort to get them to help me out with the clutch. {The first time ever at this dealership for service}. I Tried 2 other dealers in town no dice with them.

I just got a call from Rob in service they are going to cover clutch and all labor. I will need to pay for some other parts… total of 176.00 out of pocket sounds good to me.

[/b]
Why would they replace a clutch under warrenty? Isn't it the same as brakes?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have never replaced a clutch on any vehicle, have owned 4 and all went over 100K...highest mileage is 140K and still going for a '95 Contour that is now my daughter's.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

[/b]

Too many variables to guestimate a "normal" lifespan, it depends on how well you drive stick and how hard you are on the car (jackrabbit starts, deliberately slipping the clutch for smoother shifts, etc). I've known people that have driven over 100K on a single clutch, others get 25K out of them. My own 95 Ford Probe 2.0L ran about 75,000 and felt like it needed a clutch, but as it turned out, the clutch had plenty of life left on it (mechanic showed it to me). The slippage was likely due to a faulty throw-out bearing.
[/b]
Well I only managed to get 25K out of mine and you can trust that I know how to drive a stick so I am not sure how well the "how well you drive" comment applies to the 6's clutch though I agree that it does in general. Double clutch, rev match, no exessive slip and this one still went out WAAAY too early. Its well documented that this clutch wears out really fast.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had the clutch replaced under warranty at about 1k due to a grainy feel --- service bulletin, but now my clutch is feeling a little wierd again, I don't know whether it is starting to slip, it has kind of a "buttery" feel to it and I only have 19500 miles on it... I know I don't ride the clutch or anything like that, so I don't know if it is fixing to go out or not. I guess only time will tell, but I will hate to see the bill if it does. I remember seeing the bill for the last one (under warranty) for about $850 and I surely don't want to fork that out.

If for some reason it does go out, would an aftermarket one be better, and if so, what brand? I don't race mine or anything like that, so I don't need a stage 3 with flames and a bottle of nitrous, just maybe one that is made a bit better.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts