Mazda 6 Forums banner

New Clutch and Transmission

3K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  jjohnson1024 
#1 ·
Last Saturday I noticed that it was occasionally very hard for me to shift gears. For example I would have to pull a lot harder than normal in order to take the car out of gear and it would sometimes grind while entering the next gear all this while having the clutch fully depressed. It gave the impression that the clutch was not fully disengaged. The car never stalled or stuttered while stopped at a light. But as I continued to drive that day it became extremely hard to shift and would not enter some gears at all without A LOT of force accompanied by awful grinding. I ended up using first, third, and fifth to make it home. For some reason it was easier to get into those gears, but nowhere close to being normal. Luckily the dealership is very close to my home. So I didn't drive it at all on Sunday and brought it in to Mazda first thing Monday morning. Mazda called me later to tell me they would be replacing the clutch along with the entire transmission and I would be with out my new MS6 for about 2 weeks :swearin: Not the way I envisioned my first month of ownership when I drove off of the lot, but oh well such is life. I just wanted to share/vent my story.

#2 ·
Mine failed at 1800 miles. Been at the shop for a month now getting the updated forks installed. It took 3 weeks to get the shift forks from Japan, and when he went to reinstall them he noticed a chip in one of the gears so they ordered that Monday of this week and got the gear set yesterday in the morning. My trans is together now and should be back in the car today or tomorow. If they pull it apart, get the OEM clutch and send it to us to get it upgraded (if you plan to add power and plan to race it especially!!!).

They will most likely find the teflon/nylon lining on the shift forks shattered and came off, and allowed the steel lip on the fork to hit the gears and it tweaked the fork a bit and would not fully shift, or not at all shift into certain gears....depends on what fork(s) failed.

There is a updated shift fork package available from Japan that addresses the known issue and will replace your failed parts with a new design that is not supposed to allow for a repeated failure.

#3 ·
WOW I'm at 1650 miles......I don't know if I want to have this problem, and get the new shift forks, or not have this problem :)

#4 ·
3 weeks just to get the forks in is not very encouraging. I'm expecting an update tomorrow on the parts. I don't want to spend any more time than is necessary in this rental PT Cruiser which is slowly killing me.

If I did plan on racing or adding power I would definitely send over my clutch. But as of right now it is a just an exciting family friendly car. Thanks for the info. on your experience.

#5 ·
I'm sorry to hear about the tranny at such low mileage. I bought mine in October and I have 4500 miles so far and no issues. I know new cars have problems too but I wasn't ready to hear of one needing the entire transmission at such low miles.

Good luck and I'll be keeping my eye out for your posts if you decide to update us on the results of the repair.

#9 ·
Seems like our MS6's are a bunch of lemons......Is there anyone on this board that HASN'T had one problem???
[/b]
The only problem I've had, I was able to fix myself. My passenger window switch kept dieing on me, so I pulled off the door panel. I found that the harnesses for the door electronics were never fully clicked together. They probably would've tried to charge me $200.00 to fix it.

#10 ·
Never had problems here besides the rear discs that were rusty when I bought it. They replaced those. 2000 miles.

#12 ·
Driver side window Auto-up/down feature stopped working. It was mildly annoying that I had to hold the switch after getting used to clicking it once either direction. It then... just.. fixed itself one day.

Also, I have had a CEL all week and too busy to take it into the service shop. Everything worked fine in the snow we just got, including the AWD, traction control, no power loss, etc. so I have no idea what the problem is. I will find out this sat morning when I drop it off at the shop.

*hopes the dealer does not ninja reflash my car or i'll have to buy a BC*

CEL came on around 2400 miles.

#15 ·
7600 on mine and no problems yet. I've only been to the dealership twice- for an oil change (it was free), and for winter tires.

#17 ·
Hey bro I feel your fricking pain......my car has been at the dealership for 3 weeks to the day now....they finally yesterday ORDERED my tranny.....I wouldn't blame mazda for this just a dealership that never want to sale another car to anyone i know. they have my in a cx7 not our car but ok.....the thing that pisses me of the most is that i am most of the problem. i didnt break my car in and just got on it a lot....so anyone thinking about a speed6 I say go for it, just have self control....just for all yall out there my car has 3300 miles but i only had it for 2 1/2weeks. hopefully ill have my car back before the first on the year. i miss her so

#18 ·
After having about 39 cars since 1994, I can tell you first hand every single one of them have issues and inherent design flaws. Even with the very best engineers with Cornell degrees or whatever school, they are still machines and prove that there are things they can't test for. Hondas are probably the best built IMHO, they are just boring. If they had an Accord Si, I'd probably be a buyer.
And oh, with performance cars, the rate of failure seems to quadruple, especially when driven aggressively often. Watch the multi-million dollar race teams, those things can fail at any given time.

#19 ·
39 since 94?!?!

Dayumnnnnnnn.

No problems with my speed 6 hope it stays that way.

I'm getting a new lightweight flywheel soon, and once I get the money a new clutch kit, and once I can find a good one, a short throw shifter. Hopefully, there will be no tranny problems.

#20 ·
39 since 94?!?!

Dayumnnnnnnn.

No problems with my speed 6 hope it stays that way.

I'm getting a new lightweight flywheel soon, and once I get the money a new clutch kit, and once I can find a good one, a short throw shifter. Hopefully, there will be no tranny problems.
[/b]
I don't beleive any of these are available for the MS6 yet. Unless you know something we don't... WHAT ARE YOU KEEPING FROM US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
I have 4500 miles and no issues at all. I think you will find that in the message board enviornment where the population on the board only generally represents a small percentage of the ownership population, problems with any car seem more wide spread than they actually are. Most of the people who post either have some knowledge to share or are weighted to problems, issues and complaints. Try to take things with a grain of salt and not freak yourself out becasue 3 people on the message board have the same problem. Doesn't mean it is a wide spread model wide issue. Unfortunately, since this is a limited production car, with much of the power train being new stuff for Mazda, I think more problems than compared to a 500k car a year model like a Toyota Camry are likely. Just the way it is.

#23 ·
I have 4500 miles and no issues at all. I think you will find that in the message board enviornment where the population on the board only generally represents a small percentage of the ownership population, problems with any car seem more wide spread than they actually are. Most of the people who post either have some knowledge to share or are weighted to problems, issues and complaints. Try to take things with a grain of salt and not freak yourself out becasue 3 people on the message board have the same problem. Doesn't mean it is a wide spread model wide issue. Unfortunately, since this is a limited production car, with much of the power train being new stuff for Mazda, I think more problems than compared to a 500k car a year model like a Toyota Camry are likely. Just the way it is.
[/b]
Exactly, plus if you look at the new Camry/Avalon boards you would see a number of issues with those too. If you based your decisions on auto forum internet sites, you would just give up and walk.

#24 ·
Just wanted to post an update for anyone following the thread. I called Mazda on Monday and confirmed that the new transmission and clutch had arrived I was told my car would be ready for pickup on Friday. Well today's the day so I called them this morning to get a final pickup time only to find out the "new" transmission has a defect and they had to order a new one. They don't have an ETA on the new new transmission so as of now I have no idea when I will be getting my car back.

#26 ·
Just wanted to post an update for anyone following the thread. I called Mazda on Monday and confirmed that the new transmission and clutch had arrived I was told my car would be ready for pickup on Friday. Well today's the day so I called them this morning to get a final pickup time only to find out the "new" transmission has a defect and they had to order a new one. They don't have an ETA on the new new transmission so as of now I have no idea when I will be getting my car back.
[/b]
Oh man . . . this ain't good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.