Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always driven manual transmissions (over 20 years). I have never had one give me troubles @ 68k. In fact the only one I ever had trouble with was a 1984 Chevy Cavalier @ 164k. The nissan with 120K and the del sol with 80k never gave me troubles.

Is it really possible that my 6 V6 could have a dying clutch this early?

The local shop mentioned it could be a slave cylinder or the master cylinder. I am taking it in after the new year to have him look at it. Just looking to compare notes with anyone else.

Anyone else have one die this early?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Clutch discs being wear-and-tear items, their lifetime largely depends on how they are used. I've known original clutches to last several hundred thousand miles, and I've heard of people (who didn't drive correctly) wearing out a clutch in a couple of thousand miles.

You didn't post any description of the issue you are having, so it is hard to guess whether you are experiencing a worn out clutch disc or another problem related to the clutch operation. Give us some symptoms and maybe someone can help diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine was gone after 2k miles, but there was oil all over it and my engine broke 2..

My new one is doing just fine :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (jd42 @ Dec 26 2008, 06:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1495346
Clutch discs being wear-and-tear items, their lifetime largely depends on how they are used. I've known original clutches to last several hundred thousand miles, and I've heard of people (who didn't drive correctly) wearing out a clutch in a couple of thousand miles.

You didn't post any description of the issue you are having, so it is hard to guess whether you are experiencing a worn out clutch disc or another problem related to the clutch operation. Give us some symptoms and maybe someone can help diagnose the issue.[/b]

Well, sometimes the rps go up about 1500 rpms, but the car doesn't accelerate, but slowly eases into the rps. Once, after it sat still for 4 days, and it was cold, I was merging onto the interstate and it jumped from 2000 rps to 3500 (but didn't go faster), then dropped back and accelerated normally, then again at 3500 rpm it jumped to 5000 (in the same fashion) and dropped back down. The first is the most common, but the second is the worst it has been so far.

I drive a clutch very conservatively. Don't ride it, not hard on it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Mazda6 clutches are known to be weak. Your clutch is slipping, no doubt about that. I'd suggest getting an aftermarket clutch to replace it. The only reason I replaced mine with the factory Mazda one is cause I raised a huge stink about how crappy the clutch was and how it could wear out before my bumper to bumper warranty ended. I bought a new car so I can have worry free driving and not worry about parts breaking down because I have the warranty. After about 3 months of going back and forth with the dealer and Mazda Canada, they got me a new clutch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (wing_woo @ Dec 27 2008, 03:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1495468
Mazda6 clutches are known to be weak. Your clutch is slipping, no doubt about that. I'd suggest getting an aftermarket clutch to replace it. The only reason I replaced mine with the factory Mazda one is cause I raised a huge stink about how crappy the clutch was and how it could wear out before my bumper to bumper warranty ended. I bought a new car so I can have worry free driving and not worry about parts breaking down because I have the warranty. After about 3 months of going back and forth with the dealer and Mazda Canada, they got me a new clutch.[/b]
I had a feeling. I am having it looked at just after the new year. I appreciate the suggestion about an aftermarket clutch, however, my days in this car are numbered. I want to survive until the 2010 or 2011 model year when I can cet a Cooper clubman D (the diesel version). BMW has hinted that it is coming... 48/58 mpg... 170 #ft & weighs only 2500 lbs! I am there.

So, anyway, a few things on the car is starting to be a little strange, but nothing I can't deal with. The door locks are sketchy. I lock them after getting in & they lock again multiple times throughout the drive. The radio stations don't respond corrctly either. Hit #1, & it goes to #2, ect.

Nothing else, though... so far. I hope I can limp along. I wish the clutch wasn't a necessity, but it is less than having to buy a new car that I don't want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
current update... $1200 for a new clutch. The trans shop couldn't do it before next week and the mazda dealer could. They quoted almost the same price & could have it done by tomorrow afternoon. I hate taking anything to my dealer... but it fits my time line. I will continue the update.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Yeah, the original 6 clutches were weaksauce. I got mine upgraded to the updated version for the clutch chatter TSB and that one has been a lot better, though I've only got about 60K on it so far. I'm hoping it lasts to about 100K, good luck with your change!

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Mazda Gremlyn @ Dec 30 2008, 02:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496940
Yeah, the original 6 clutches were weaksauce. I got mine upgraded to the updated version for the clutch chatter TSB and that one has been a lot better, though I've only got about 60K on it so far. I'm hoping it lasts to about 100K, good luck with your change![/b]
:love: 151000 on original 2004 Mazda 6 S clutch so far! 146000 on front rotors. 99000 on second set of front brakes. 151000 on rear breaks and rotors so far! I drive like a bat out of hell!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
djkg1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing