Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 05 6s v6 5mt. Great car, handles well. It's been amazingly reliable, great on fuel and tons of power. 2 weeks ago it started consuming oil, or really, I noticed it was consuming oil. I'm low 1.5 quarts. I do lots of city driving and maybe up to 45 on the way home. My fuel mileage is also terrible. I don't know the actual number but I'm only getting 60 miles per quarter tank of fuel. Proper alignment, good bearings and CV joints, just did coils and plugs and new filter and oil change. Oh and less then 6 month old tires. I'm was BMW guy, also dealing with oil consumption on one of their engines as well. I've read about the pcv being bad, bought a new one but haven't installed it yet. Any idea how much these engines cost used and how much to rebuild one or if it's even worth keeping it.

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Some of the V6s can eat a little bit of oil, but it sounds like yours is more significant than that. Check for any leaks and it's probably worth replacing your PCV valve and hose - like $6 and a 15 minute replacement.

As for the MPGs, we've got a good thread going on here with everyone discussing their experiences that you can follow here: 1st Gen V6 gas mileage

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Welcome aboard. That doesn't sound good at all. If you like the car and are up for the challenge, you can swap on a Fusion V6 for reasonable cost.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just picked up an 05 6s v6 5mt. Great car, handles well. It's been amazingly reliable, great on fuel and tons of power. 2 weeks ago it started consuming oil, or really, I noticed it was consuming oil. I'm low 1.5 quarts. I do lots of city driving and maybe up to 45 on the way home. My fuel mileage is also terrible. I don't know the actual number but I'm only getting 60 miles per quarter tank of fuel. Proper alignment, good bearings and CV joints, just did coils and plugs and new filter and oil change. Oh and less then 6 month old tires. I'm was BMW guy, also dealing with oil consumption on one of their engines as well. I've read about the pcv being bad, bought a new one but haven't installed it yet. Any idea how much these engines cost used and how much to rebuild one or if it's even worth keeping it.
I have an 04 v6 and it drinks a lot of oil. I would change the PCV and not even worry, just top it up. Does it sound or run funny?

If you're expecting more than 20 mpg or so, you're in for a disappointment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi friends i have mazda 6 2019 my problem is lost remote but how to program remote in ida mazad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the pcv was the wrong part. It's about an inch too short. The pcv is bad for sure. Gummed up and the metal part in the middle is extremely worn out. I can see how extra oil can make it past. Ordered the right part tonight and should see it in a few days.

I'm monitoring my oil consumption and it's really not as bad as I anticipated. A quart and a half in 8 weeks. Under a quart a month can't be that bad, as I've seen some BMWs consume more then that before.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Go to the parts store and get a PCV for a 2006 model. Mazda changed the part mid year in 2005.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts