Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, I just bought the car about a week ago. Yesterday was the first time I was able to wash it. I started waxing but noticed that there is grit all over the place. It felt like there was bits of sand sprinkled on the car. I know it wasn't any dirt, cause I cleaned real well.

Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone else had this.

I guess I will have to do that three step process, including claybar. Kinda sucks... thats a lot of work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Across the ocean on a ship, then rail from port to dealer, and some time on the dealer lot....

It's industrial fallout/raildust, etc.

Clay it, wax it and enjoy it. I've clayed every new car I've bought the day I brought them home.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
clay will get it right off but i would take it to the dealer and make them do it for you.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Across the ocean on a ship, then rail from port to dealer, and some time on the dealer lot....
[/b]
When I picked my car up, it had the exact mileage from the Port of Tacoma to the dealership.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would not trust the dealer to get it right. It sucks, but clay bar it yourself. That way you'll know it is done right. You can let them know about it in your New Owner's Survey. ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok... so I've never "clayed" a car. How many bars will I need to do the hood, roof, and trunklid? Wash first, polish, clay, wash, wax?

·
Registered
315 Posts

It's industrial fallout/raildust, etc.

Clay it, wax it and enjoy it. I've clayed every new car I've bought the day I brought them home.
[/b]

Me too...some people are obssessed ....I'm showing my wife this thread...everytime I get a new car I come home and detail it!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
one bar of clay is fine. $15 - $20 at autozone/pepboys etc. i wouldnt trust the dealership to do it - they would more then likely scratch the car.

·
Registered
900 Posts
ok... so I've never "clayed" a car. How many bars will I need to do the hood, roof, and trunklid? Wash first, polish, clay, wash, wax?
[/b]
One bar will do it. It flattens out as you go over the surface, so you'll be folding it over - over and over again. This helps to keep a clean surface. I used the Zaino bar and spray lube. Click here:Zaino clay bar and here: Zaino spray gloss.

Start by washing your car with dish soap and warm water. Dish soap (not dishwasher detergent!) will strip away any wax, or light contaminants. Then you clay bar a small area at a time. Remember to use plenty of spray lubricant as you go. Do not press too hard. You want to let the clay bar glide over the surface. Do it in the shade. Hot paint and clay bar = :swearin: . That's where people make a mistake and get scratches. Be more careful when you are doing the plastic painted surfaces (spoiler, bumpers). The paint is different there and can be damaged more easily. This is very tedious, so make sure you maintain patience!

When I finish the clay bar I always wash the car with dish soap and warm water again. Look and feel it over to make sure you got everything out. Re-clay additional areas and rewash as needed. Then you are ready for a fresh wax job! :yesnod:

Good luck, man. Post in if you need help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As you know, I just bought the car about a week ago. Yesterday was the first time I was able to wash it. I started waxing but noticed that there is grit all over the place. It felt like there was bits of sand sprinkled on the car. I know it wasn't any dirt, cause I cleaned real well.

Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone else had this.

I guess I will have to do that three step process, including claybar. Kinda sucks... thats a lot of work.
[/b]

If you want the car clayed do it yourself. Claying wrong can ruin your finish, I know I put scratches in my Black SVT. I also wouldn't use a claybar from a store. I would use the Zaino claybar it comes with detailed instructions and is the best quality. I also always tell the dealer not to detain the car because i will do it, they usually give me a hard time at first but give in. Fortunately the Mazda dealer ageed and I did my speed6 myself the day I bought it. I only use Zaino on my cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts