Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I heard a tiny scretch from my brakes the other day, which at this point probably means they want some new pads. I called up a buddy to see what he could get and he didnt have much to offer. So I hit the phone book and called everyone in town. The price is alllll over the place and most people are selling a discount brand of semi metalics. I called up my local mazda dealer and he says 90 bucks for front and back, which is odd cuz the discount places online are like almost twice that for oem pads.

So... If I want a longer lasting pad, less break dust, and good stopping power, what is out there with out breaking the bank? I have seen tons of stuff online, but which are good breaks and which are breaks for racing that I dont want or need?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hawk pads produce less dust, but they get noisy sometimes. There is a revised version of OEM pads, get those if you want (part number ending in B, not A). They produce less dust, comparable to the Hawk pads, and noise free, but more expensive than those Hawk pads. Stopping power, hawk is a bit better.

Please correct your spelling, brake not break. :nana:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL didnt notice the spelling thing.

The hawks seem to be more of a performance break, which typically means they dont stop well till they are hot, that is not what I need.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hawk makes a bunch of pads in different compounds for the 6. To generalize them all is a definate misstatement. The Performance Ceramic and HPS are within dollars of each other in terms of cost but they are pretty different from each other.

What are your needs/whats in a brake pad?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have Hawk HPS for the street, very low dust, minimal but a cleaning a week is in order none the less, no squeaks, just once in a blue moon.

I have Rotora Slotted Rotors and I love those 2,

Can't go wrong, but just get some blanks, slotted aren't worth the extra cash just for the look.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want at least as good as stock performance on the street, and longer pad life for the most part, less dust would be nice.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I was reading that thread too. THank you, I had looked at those. A local parts place carries that brand, but for some reason they dont have mine, so I guess I will have to order them online.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts