Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Why twin turbo it?? The new 3.0L inline 6 gets arounds 265hp and 250ft/lb's of tq(in that range anyway). I would expect a lot more from a tt set up. The 3.2L for the old M3 pushes 333hp and almost 300ft/lbs of tq.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i would so buy that car...if i found like $40,000 in my laundry

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:drool: Imagine the M3 if thats what the standard 3 series has.
[/b]
The M3 is getting a V8, most likely the one from the current 550i and tuned at around 400 hp to compete with the Audi S4. Not sure why they turbocharged this engine, but my money is that somehow or another it is cheaper to do that than build the current M3's engine (one of the most advanced and freaking complex engines on the planet) for a regular volume vehicle.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The M3 is getting a V8, most likely the one from the current 550i and tuned at around 400 hp to compete with the Audi S4. Not sure why they turbocharged this engine, but my money is that somehow or another it is cheaper to do that than build the current M3's engine (one of the most advanced and freaking complex engines on the planet) for a regular volume vehicle.
[/b]
from what I've read, the E90 M3's V8 is supposed to be more related to the new M5's V10 (basically the same engine with 2 cylinders removed), than the current V8 in the 5, 6 & 7's.

As far as the TT I6 in the 335..I'm guessing they had to do something to battle against the 3.5l V6 in the Lexus IS. The 3.2L I6 from the current E46 M3 is way too high strung (and expensive to build) for normal production 3-series.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I'm with those who would expect more from a twin-turbo 3.0 litre 6-cylinder engine. They were doing 300hp 15 years ago.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm with those who would expect more from a twin-turbo 3.0 litre 6-cylinder engine. They were doing 300hp 15 years ago.
[/b]

not in the regular 3 series engines...they are still not above 270 yet now. The M engines are completely different than the regular 3 series, much more expensive and technologically advanced - hence the large markup on M cars, and the limited production.

not that I wouldnt want more than 300 hp also, but maybe they are sticking with a low boost option - possibly non-intercooled 4-5 psi for some good torque with low cost.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I heard its twin turbo to benefit from the power output in correlation with fuel economy. Combined with direct injection, they can get 300HP and not have to suffer the lag and bad economy of big turbo and big engine respectively.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why twin turbo it?? The new 3.0L inline 6 gets arounds 265hp and 250ft/lb's of tq(in that range anyway). I would expect a lot more from a tt set up. The 3.2L for the old M3 pushes 333hp and almost 300ft/lbs of tq.
[/b]
Actually, the new 3.0L is only rated at 255hp & 220lbs/ft. of tq @ 2750rpm. That's really quite diff. from 250lbs./ft., which is around what most competitors' 3.5L 6 cylinders are putting out.

As for the old 3.2L M3 mill, it was only rated at 262lbs./ft @ 4900rpm. Again, quite different from 300lbs./ft tq, which is about wut u'd expect from a small disp. (4 liter'ish) 8 cylinder engine. With that in mind, the expected 300lbs./ft torque rating is really quite impressive.

Furthermore, when u factor in that this 300lbs./ft of torque is available from 1400-5000rpm, :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: (which is really wut most of us here care about neway), I'm sure you'll appreciate that there really is no comparison b/w this TT I6, & its NA counterpart in terms of power (& more importantly torque) output. My prediction is that this thing in a 335i coupe, will give the old M3 a run for it's $$ in nearly any acceleration test.

Source for hp/tq #s: bmwusa.com Did u even visit the posted link?? :D j/k :wavey:

·
Registered
382 Posts
remember now that the JDM skyline R34 GT-R makes a little less than 300 hp(from the factory, but easily 500 HP with just tuning with the stock internals, since they are all forged and whatnot to begin with) due to a restriction on HP by the japanese govt or something... so i imagine... with some tuning and some internals this engine could pull the 400 or maybe even 500 HP that you guys think about when you hear TT... :love: :love: :drive: i want that engine in an M coupe NOW!

oh and did you see the turbo? i've seen bigger turbo's on motorcycles! its teensy!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I wasn't referring to BMW, but rather the Supra, 300ZX, and 3000GT engines from the early 1990's.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Kinda off topic .........but if you visit the above link and click on the Images tab off to the side, and continue to Picture 8 (closeup of the headlights) .......the DDE's dont make a complete circle for both high and Low....more so for the low.........

i Noted this because i have just recieved my Raptor DDE's from RPM and for the HighBeam ones they dont have a complete circle as well ..........but if BMW themselves are doing it, then its a relief....Whew.

but ya sweet car....looks pretty long.... i Wish the 6 was a two door...its got the look of one.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I didn't even look at it until now... and I wish I hadn't :barf:

Another Bangle Mangled Work.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My only concern right now is reliability.

EDIT: and gas mileage...especially with gas at $3+

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My only concern right now is reliability.

EDIT: and gas mileage...especially with gas at $3+
[/b]
That and price...anyone have any idea on how much we're looking at here?

·
Registered
165 Posts
[/b]

Remember, peak hp is not everything...

I'd love to see the torque curve on that car, I bet it's nice and flat all the way until redline. And I bet there's a ton more room for improvement, especially in the form of say, a chip. Kind of like the turbo VWs that get like crazy amounts of hp and torque with just an ecu modification.

Plus, I'm sure gas mileage is much improved as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
SilverRSXJezus
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing