Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 6i with stock 215/50R-17 tires and close to 50k miles are coming to an end and need replacing soon. I'm looking for good, all-season tires in the $90-$110 range that folks might recommend. I'm also thinking about going a little wider at 225/45R-17 and would like to know if there might be any issues with that, as well.

Thanks,
arock

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have the General Exclaim UHP's on my wifes 6 wagon 225/45/17's and love them. $72 at treadepot.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,541 Posts
Run a :search: and check out the countless other threads about what others have done, both with tire choices and sizes. Check out the first two pinned threads as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I'll be more specific.

Redlinez: Is this the same tire you were referring to: General Exclaim UHP. You got a pretty good price at $72.

Anyone have any luck with these: Kumho Ecsta ASX.

Both of those seem to have good reviews. But, I was wondering if any other Mazda6 owners have used them at all?

Also: How many miles are people getting out of the stock tires before they are changing out?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Both our wagons were between 22-24k miles when the Mich's were shot. Yes, the Exclaim UHP. Got them at www.treadepot.com Check out the reviews on tirerack. I'm not a Kumho fan, they IMO are cheap tires, for a reason.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just got the ASX's 2 weeks ago. They're only slightly better than stock for preventing wheelspin from a dead stop but that's to be expected. I'd say it would add a couple hundred rpm to the starts before they begin to spin. In the turns i really like them and are much better than stock. I can now tell that the weak ass springs and weight transfer are now the limiting factor to the suspension as I still have it stock. No experience in snow yet so I can't speak to that but i would definitely recommend them as a good upgrade over stock. Cost about 98 each shipped from discounttiredirect.com

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
From Toyo, consider both the Proxes TPT and the Proxes4. Both are available in the two sizes you mentioned. The quick summary: The TPT is more of a "Touring" tire that places more emphasis on ride comfort, is better in the snow and has a 40,000 mile warranty. The Proxes4 places more emphasis on handling performance but sacrifices some snow performance.

Toyo Proxes TPT

Toyo Proxes4

·
Registered
706 Posts
As I've said before, not a fan of Kumho's. Too much of a regular type tire. The sidewall flexes like some cheap truck tire. If you want to keep the sporty feel and good directional control, stay away from those. No, we haven't been lucky enough to see snow yet.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I think I'm going to go for this one: Yokohama YK520 P225/45R-17
[/b]
75,000 mile warranty? Yikes. Won't get much excitement in the handling department. That's got to be a "hard as rocks" compound.

Edgeracing.com lists the Proxes4 at $93 per tire, same size. And you could probably find a Toyo dealer in your area that would at least match the Yoko price. You won't get 75k out of them, but you could also look at the Proxes TPT (roughly $115 on edgeracing in the stock size) if mileage is your primary purchase consideration.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I had tires made by Avon (yes, like the makeup!) that came from TireRack and I was really happy with them. Mine were 215/50/17 on my old PT Cruiser and they were $111 shipped from TireRack.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
75,000 mile warranty? Yikes. Won't get much excitement in the handling department. That's got to be a "hard as rocks" compound.
[/b]
Probably. But, my wife is the one who drives the car 80% of the time. She doesn't care as much about handling. :)

Anyway, I haven't fully decided, but that should be a pretty good and safe all-season tire. It has gotten pretty good reviews. Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Probably. But, my wife is the one who drives the car 80% of the time. She doesn't care as much about handling. :)

Anyway, I haven't fully decided, but that should be a pretty good and safe all-season tire. It has gotten pretty good reviews. Thanks for your help...
[/b]
At the risk of sounding like posttosh, a tire with a 75k warranty is going to have a very hard compound. This hard compound will sacrifice both wet and dry stopping ability in order to get longer wear. If your wife's safety is important to you, then you probably don't want to install tires that would increase braking distances over the stock tires. I won't go as far as he to say they're dangerous, but be aware of the change you'll be making to your vehicle's dynamics. If you're stuck on Yokohama, then at least consider their AVID H4s or V4s.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At the risk of sounding like posttosh, a tire with a 75k warranty is going to have a very hard compound. This hard compound will sacrifice both wet and dry stopping ability in order to get longer wear. If your wife's safety is important to you, then you probably don't want to install tires that would increase braking distances over the stock tires. I won't go as far as he to say they're dangerous, but be aware of the change you'll be making to your vehicle's dynamics. If you're stuck on Yokohama, then at least consider their AVID H4s or V4s.
[/b]
Hmmm. I'm not stuck on Yokohamas at all. However, based on the reviews people have written about the tire I don't get any impression that it is an unsafe or dangerous tire at all -- quite the opposite, actually.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hmmm. I'm not stuck on Yokohamas at all. However, based on the reviews people have written about the tire I don't get any impression that it is an unsafe or dangerous tire at all -- quite the opposite, actually.
[/b]
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying it's a dangerous tire. Far from it. But be aware that fitting a tire to your car with a compound hard enough to get 75,000 miles will likely yield increased braking distances, especially in wet conditions. Aren't you in Washington state? Don't they get a lot of rain there? It's certainly something that would give me pause before purchasing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Against the advice of Toyo Guy, I bought the Yokohama YK520s (225/45R-17). So, I guess I am now a Yoko Guy. :D

Anyway, so far they seem to be a good tire. They ride smooth, are fairly grippy, and seem quieter that the OEMs. Seem to work great on wet roads, too. We'll see as time goes on...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It has been around 1000 miles so far and the YK520s seem very nice -- they seem especially quiet compared to the OEMs. I would recommend them so far.

Related question: I've noticed a difference in the wheel well gap between the front and rear tires since having these tires put on. The front tires have a larger gap by about a third of an inch or so compared to the rear -- enough that I could tell with my eye. Why would this be? The tires I put on are 225/45R-17. Now, I never measured the wheel gap when I had the original tires, but I never noticed a difference between the front and rear gaps with my eye at least.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts