Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New 6 owner here! I've been trolling on the board for months now waiting for the time I would get my own. "It's all happening!" :p

The Breakdown:

Mazda 6s w/ 5speed manual.
Lapis Blue Metallic
Sport Package
Comfort Package
Bose Audio Package

The Skinny:

I've wanted this car the instant Mazda hinted at making it. Been around the Duratec powered Contour crowd for awhile, and when the news came out about this, I had to see it! There were only 6 V6/5speed combos in the area and only one was completely and fully loaded. Didn't matter, it was the one I wanted, the only one in blue! Went to the dealer, no messing around. "I want that one. Now what are you going to do to make me bring it home!" They budged ever so slightly, I managed $23,300 down from the initial $25,585. Maybe I could have done better, it doesn't really matter to me, the payments are exactly what I wanted to be making. Took delivery last Tuesday. Pretty friggin funny, because the forums went down THAT day just as a I got to work and was all ready to introduce myself!

The First Impression:

Coming from a piece of monkey crap Dodge Intrepid, I'll admit I'm a little biased.

Powertrain - nothing more, nothing less than I expected. The engine loves to be everywhere in the rev range. Enough torque down low and pushes very hard all the way up to 7K. I feel a slight drop (or leveling off) around 5500 to 6500, but its still good. The transmission is fairly smooth, doesn't complain at all, but could use improvement to that of a higher class sedan. The throw is just right for me, not too short and notchy and not too long making it feel like a truck. The clutch is the best part in my opinion. Very easy to operate! I'm still getting used to where it grabs though. The steering is right on precise, great road feedback. Lightens up just a tad too much when hard cornering though and I think the turning radius is a little lacking.

Interior - Beautifully laid out and ergonomic. Fit and finish is easily above average for a car in this class. The plastic around footwells does tend to scuff up quite easily though. Probably just me being anal. The seats are very supportive, but not too much, which is good because I have a large back. The leather feels amazing! Seat heaters are my one complaint. They don't get warm enough and the switch is hidden, which will make me forget that I have them on. Love the outlet in the center console! Bose Audio is just enough for my tastes, I listen to every single kind of music out there and it all sounds fine, even the trance music I listen to, I can't take too much boom or I get a headache. Everyone loves the size of the back seat too! I also like the power driver's seat, but no power passenger seat. Screw the passenger, then can adjust the seat manually! Saves on weight and cost! Guages are my second complaint though. TOO MUCH RED! I find I have to look down just to know MPH and the RPM. The needle should be a different color to contrast with the back drop. Plus the rest of the dash lights up a dull red that looks more orange in my opinion.

Exterior - Speaks for itself. The lines are crisp and refreshing. No porky Altima or bland Accord. Dual exhaust is a welcome touch. HIDs would have been nice, but also would cost more to replace. I also wish the foglights were in the front fascia instead of integrated in the headlights.

The Mods:

Exhaust - It is way too tame. I don't want overblown fart cans, but it needs to growl more!
Intake - for that little boost of hp, that beautiful wooshing sound, and the dressed up engine bay.
Fog lights - I'm going to find a way to integrate another set into the front fascia. I hate the look of the black grill. Its covered up anyway, there might as well be something there with a purpose.
Suspension - Could be slightly lowered like an inch for a better stance (although its pretty darn good right now)
Rims/Tires - I actually really like the stock look. However, it could use slightly wider tires (225) so why not get nice rims as well at the same time. That way I can put snow tires on the stock rims (if I choose to drive it in the winter.)
Power - I'm of the school that the more the better. However, I don't want to void my warranty, so I'll only do those mods that won't.
Interior - I have a couple suprise mods that will look good. I'll post them when I can.

Well, that's about it. All around, I love my first brand new car!

Sorry Kincaid, but I beat you to it! Pix will be in the Pictures section immediately!
Here's the post: http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=3102

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'New 6 owner and first impressions'

Originally posted by Kincaid

Meh I'll still say it. It is a fact about this thread :D[/b]

You're too quick! It took me all of 5 minutes to put them up, but I'll hand it to you!

Here's the link to the pix: http://adam.marcionek.com

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Reading Topic: New 6 owner and first impressions

GreenNuggs did you buy that 6 from Tully Mazda in Nashua? If you did your lucky it was still there as I looked at it a few times but decided not to lose the deposit on mine at Talarico. Mine will basically be identical until I put my rims on lower it and decide what else to do. It killed me to look at one that showed up there a month after I ordered mine as it going to take 16 weeks for mine to get here. Only three more to go.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by DRAGONS6
GreenNuggs did you buy that 6 from Tully Mazda in Nashua?  If you did your lucky it was still there as I looked at it a few times but decided not to lose the deposit on mine at Talarico.  Mine will basically be identical until I put my rims on lower it and decide what else to do.  It killed me to look at one that showed up there a month after I ordered mine as it going to take 16 weeks for mine to get here.  Only three more to go.[/b]
That would be the one DRAGONS6! Thanks for not snatching it up first! I was eyeing that car for a month.

They also had a red one, but they sold it right before I got to the dealership. It would have been a toss-up between the two for me. I think I got lucky, there aren't any 6s/5speeds in the area that aren't Gray or Black. I like the Blue just fine. I hope to lower mine and get new shoes as well!

When you get your ride, we should set-up some sort of NE Mazda6 meet.

·
Registered
980 Posts

You're too quick!  It took me all of 5 minutes to put them up, but I'll hand it to you![/b]
Don't you know that practice makes perfect and for that reason you can't compete with Kincaid on this. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts

Geez...these colors are killiing me. I live in Rhode Island so I am not far from you.

First I liked the white, but found it obscured the fine lines of the car.

Then I was settling on the Silver, but I decided against because it seems every other car on the road i New England is Silver. I'm sure the Mazda6 will follow this trend as most at my local dealer are silver, ready for purchase by the masses.

Then I was settling on the Steel Grey Metallic. But it kinda seems to take a bit of the sporty look away. And there are a ton of other sports sedans such as the Maxima SE in that dark grey color as well.

Then I see your Lapis Blue and now I want that color! I'm going crazy here. i'm going to have to see this color in person, becaaue I've read in a few posts that the car is very photogenic, but looks a lot more "neon blue" in person.

Do you plan on owning the car a few years? How do you think the color will hold up over the years with our silly winters and terrible potholes with flying debris. Looks great in the pics. See if you can get some clearer shots. Hey, you can even take em on a regular camera, take to Walmart, and have them put the pics on a CD for you for $.99. they come out very clear that way as well.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Originally posted by DRAGONS6
GreenNuggs did you buy that 6 from Tully Mazda in Nashua?  If you did your lucky it was still there as I looked at it a few times but decided not to lose the deposit on mine at Talarico.  Mine will basically be identical until I put my rims on lower it and decide what else to do.  It killed me to look at one that showed up there a month after I ordered mine as it going to take 16 weeks for mine to get here.  Only three more to go.[/b]
That would be the one DRAGONS6! Thanks for not snatching it up first! I was eyeing that car for a month.

They also had a red one, but they sold it right before I got to the dealership. It would have been a toss-up between the two for me. I think I got lucky, there aren't any 6s/5speeds in the area that aren't Gray or Black. I like the Blue just fine. I hope to lower mine and get new shoes as well!

When you get your ride, we should set-up some sort of NE Mazda6 meet. [/b][/quote] I would love to set up a meet but I don't like showing my car until its finished. I've got a lot of other engagements in May and June so everything should be finished by late July. If we could try and set one up for then that would be great.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by MX6Victim
            Geez...these colors are killiing me.  I live in Rhode Island so I am not far from you.  First I liked the white, but found it obscured the fine lines of the car.  

Then I was settling on the Silver, but I decided against because it seems every other car on the road i New England is Silver.  I'm sure the Mazda6 will follow this trend as most at my local dealer are silver, ready for purchase by the masses.

Then I was settling on the Steel Grey Metallic.  But it kinda seems to take a bit of the sporty look away.  And there are a ton of other sports sedans such as the Maxima SE in that dark grey color as well.

Then I see your Lapis Blue and now I want that color!  I'm going crazy here.  i'm going to have to see this color in person, becaaue I've read in a few posts that the car is very photogenic, but looks a lot more "neon blue" in person.

Do you plan on owning the car a few years?  How do you think the color will hold up over the years with our silly winters and terrible potholes with flying debris.  Looks great in the pics.  See if you can get some clearer shots.  Hey, you can even take em on a regular camera, take to Walmart, and have them put the pics on a CD for you for $.99.  they come out very clear that way as well.[/b]

The blue looks way better in person than my pictures came out. There are some better photos in the pictures section of the Lapis Blue that does it more justice. I wouldn't call it "neon blue," but from certain angles and in some dark light, its almost purple. I may have preferred the blues of the Audi S4 (Nogaro Blue Pearl Effect (bright) or Santorin Blue Pearl Effect (darker).

http://www.s-cars.org/s4biturbo/Tech/tech.html

I'm more partial to the colorful colors, red, blue, and yellow. The yellow looks smoking good IMHO expecially with the sports package. However, its impossible to find 6s/manual in that color and that would attract way too much attention for me. Someone here has a Glacier Silver 6 that I think looks really good. There was a red at the dealer but someone snatched it up. I would've liked to see it in person.

Check you the dealerships, they should have every color available albeit not with the 6s and sports package (not sure what you are looking for)

As far as holding up to weather, what are we to do? Its the New England tragedy! :D You guys in the South have no idea how good you've got it. The blue will definitely show scratches more than a Silver or White. I already have two scratches, one in front left bumper, barely discernable, and one on the back right bumper, definitely noticable from 8 feet if you know its there. I'm throughly pissed to say the least. Gonna buy some of that touch-up paint.

I think I'm commited to buying a new high-priced camera this weekend to lay down some artwork for an album, so I'll be sure to take new shots!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts