Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really weird. I have a 2006 V6 with the factory 18's. The lugs on my tires are wearing funny. The trailing edge is wearing much faster than the leading edge, so the top of the tire looks like this /|/|/|/| (although, that's exaggerated). There's only 6700 miles on the car. The front seem to be doing it a little more excessively than the rear. I checked my tire pressure and they were at 36. 35 is recommended. So that's in the ball park, since it just warmed up here.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Are the lugs on properly? Has the car ever been in an accident? Tyre rotations should occur every 5000 miles, so its about time you do if you haven't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it's a brand new car. I've only had it since mid-December. That's what's weird about it. No accidents, no pot holes, nothing like that.

I'll see what the dealer says about it.

I just rotated the tires today, but both the front and rear were doing it. I was wondering if the car really needed a different air pressure.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Many cars are delivered from the factory out of alignment. Complain to the service dept. manager, but honestly after 6700 miles, they could say you hit something and knocked it out of alignment. Have it checked. Worst that will happen is they'll say it's in spec and maybe it's the air pressure.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
low aspect ratio tires seem more prone to this, even if in spec on alignment.

For tires that are not directional (arrow shows rotation) be sure to rotate tires in an X pattern every 5k miles. This assures direction of rotation is reversed each time a rotation is done, and this "feathering" is a direction of rotation issue, and can be noisy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
low aspect ratio tires seem more prone to this, even if in spec on alignment.

For tires that are not directional (arrow shows rotation) be sure to rotate tires in an X pattern every 5k miles. This assures direction of rotation is reversed each time a rotation is done, and this "feathering" is a direction of rotation issue, and can be noisy.
[/b]
Any issues with rotating in an "X"? The manual says front to rear on the same side. My thing is that I don't want to shred tires in 15-20k miles.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Any issues with rotating in an "X"? The manual says front to rear on the same side. My thing is that I don't want to shred tires in 15-20k miles.
[/b]
my manual says same, then follows with elaboration .... going side to side with directional tires degrades performance .... ie v grooves for rain work in one direction. Don't think your tires are directional, just mabe asymmetric. No problem with shredding. X-rot stops feathering.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The original equipment Pirellis are not unidirectional, so you can cross rotate them. You can use the X pattern, but the one below is preferred for front wheel drive vehicles. It allows the tire to eventually roll at each position, thus evening out wear.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
true toyoguy, but not best for a tire prone to feathering, as it does twice the time in one direction vs the X method, for the same rotation cycle (ie 5k miles).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
chubucko
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing