Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was shopping for a Jetta (Bora for the Euros) wagon, a slightly used Saab 9-5 Aero, and a Cooper Mini, but I finally decided on the 6. It's funny... I missed my train stop one day, and walking back to where I had to go, I passed a Nissan/Mazda dealership. I walked in to drool over the 350Z, and ended up falling in love with the 6. I pick it up (Red 6s, sport, A/T, loaded) this weekend, and I just had a few questions for the members here:

I'm seriously into car audio (SQ, not bass monsters) and I'm trying to compete with the 6. I'm resigned to leaving the stock Bose deck in the car, but someone mentioned an MP3 option here? If anyone has any info, or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know what amperage the alternator puts out in the 6s? I'm going to be running about 1200w through my car, and I was planning on having VW's 120 amp alternator backing me up. If the 6s uses a crappy 70 amp unit like Honda does, I'm in for some expensive trouble.

Thanks in advance, folks, any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'New 6 driver?'

Great for you! And welcome here!

Yeah, falling in love with this car is like nothing else. You just have to get it. It must have been strange though when you had your mind set on something quite different.

Anyway, to answer your first question: yes there is an MP3 CD player, you find its part number in this tread:

http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=746

As for the alternator, I don't know, but I hardly think it's a 120 A one, but I haven't got the time to go out to the garage to check. And even if I did this, there is this slight possibility that you guys in NA get a different one for some peculiar reason.

Good luck with your 6. And have great fun with it this weekend!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Steve, I read up on the MP3 unit last night, as I browsed back a few months inot the forum. I also see that you used to head up a car audio company, and I'm trying for the life of me to figure out which one. :D Don't know of any Swedish companies though.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Ok,

Off my head I know for sure that the I4 (model I for USA) comes with a 90A alternator. While the V6 (model S) is 110A.

Hope that helps.

BTW, welcome hope to see your future project when you get that 1200w sucker into that 6. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by hieppo

Ok,

Off my head I know for sure that the I4 (model I for USA) comes with a 90A alternator.  While the V6 (model S) is 110A.

Hope that helps.

BTW, welcome hope to see your future project when you get that 1200w sucker into that 6.  :)[/b]
Well, I checked the main fuse in the dealer, and the I4 is rated at 100 amps, so I'm GUESSING 120 amps for the 6. I'll know for sure when I take delivery saturday.

As for the system, the equipment has been waiting for installation for the past year. It'll be the stock Bose 6 disc, an Audiocontrol Three.1 EQ/crossover/Line driver, a set of Phaze Audio 6.5" components in front, Diamond Audio M3 6.5" coaxials in back (I hate rear fill, but I have it in case I have passengers); a US Acoustic USX2100 powering the components (2x150RMS); a USX250 (75x2RMS) for the coaxials, and a USX1000D sending about 850w at 2 ohms to an Image Dynamics IDMax 12", in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box.

*WHEW*

Eventually, the Phaze components will be replaced by either Seas Lotus or CDT Eurosport components, and the amps will soon be replaced by Monitor-1 amps, which are ARC audio amps without the internal crossovers.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by applejax

AudioControl, CDT - My man![/b]
There's a big IF on the CDTs right now. Phaze audio was a small company that was bought out by both PPI and Butler (PPI took Phaze's speakers, Butler took the Tube amps) and were eventually scrapped. VERY high end stuff back in the day. And now that they're "collector items", local shops sell what they have left at over $800 USD/pair. New they were about $500 USD. I got them for DIRT cheap, and I have about 10 sets left that I sell for $300/pair. Now, I've heard that the new CDT Eurosports are pretty much the end all be all for components these days, but I have yet to demo a set. When I finally do, and I like them, I won't hesitate to toss the Phazes onto the sales heap. :D

Funny, I figured since the board was mostly European, I'd get more comments on the Seas sets. The Seas Lotus are the OEM versions of the Rainbow audio "reference" $7500 (not a typo) set, and they sell for about $800. VERY nice speakers, probably the best I've EVER heard (after 12 years in car audio); but they're a bit too....perfect. Any flaw in the CD's production process is brought out by the speakers. Almost TOO precise, annoyingly so. Frankly, I'd have to use only gold Master CDs to use these speakers every day.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh, and AppleJax, I'm the FIRST person in Staten Island to get the 6. Everyone else takes delivery next week. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

Originally posted by applejax

AudioControl, CDT - My man![/b]
There's a big IF on the CDTs right now. Phaze audio was a small company that was bought out by both PPI and Butler (PPI took Phaze's speakers, Butler took the Tube amps) and were eventually scrapped. VERY high end stuff back in the day. And now that they're "collector items", local shops sell what they have left at over $800 USD/pair. New they were about $500 USD. I got them for DIRT cheap, and I have about 10 sets left that I sell for $300/pair. Now, I've heard that the new CDT Eurosports are pretty much the end all be all for components these days, but I have yet to demo a set. When I finally do, and I like them, I won't hesitate to toss the Phazes onto the sales heap. :D

Funny, I figured since the board was mostly European, I'd get more comments on the Seas sets. The Seas Lotus are the OEM versions of the Rainbow audio "reference" $7500 (not a typo) set, and they sell for about $800. VERY nice speakers, probably the best I've EVER heard (after 12 years in car audio); but they're a bit too....perfect. Any flaw in the CD's production process is brought out by the speakers. Almost TOO precise, annoyingly so. Frankly, I'd have to use only gold Master CDs to use these speakers every day.[/b][/quote]

Be sure to keep us (or at least me :) ) up to date! It's refreshing to see someone who actually knows some high-end equipment!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

You are one smart man, Entropism, that you'll go for the Mazda6 :p

But weird options you have......Jetta, 9-5 Aero, Mini......all totally different cars

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, I took delivery tonight. Started with 27 miles on the clock, ended the day with 57. I don't drive much, so it's going to be hell waiting for the 600 mile break-in period. Anyways, I'm making an appointment saturday for window tint and an alarm, and I'll most likely have the system in within a month's time. Expect tons of pics with the custom install, as I'm a showoff. :sarc Seriously though, I've been giddy all day. Do you people realise how hard it is to get a NY'er giddy? DAMN....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Jax, not only another one in the community, but the FIRST on Staten Island, to boot. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts