Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my stock tires. After changing my break pads I noticed my tires are getting dangerously worn. (over 40k).

I have the stock Michelins for an '03 6s with sport package.

I want to stick with the stock size (215/50 R17) but get a better tire (performance/traction).

My top current choice is the Yokohama AVID V4S.

I have searched the forum and looked at tirerack.com. These seem well liked. Is my thinking on these being a good to big step up right for my needs/goals?

My needs/goals:

I live in IL. There will be snow although it has been a mild couple of winters. I can't afford/ don't want to do two sets of tires this leaves me to all seasons. I am willing to sacrifice a little winter grip for better performance the other 3 seasons. Considering the stocks are, to my understanding poor especially in the winter, winter performance only needs to match or beat the stock Michelins.

I want better dry traction especially for turns.

But wet traction is also important because I still push the car some when roads are wet but not near the degree when dry. I also like to have some feel for the road so I wouldn't mind if the noise/firmness was traded off for some better performance.

Thank you for any pointers/advice.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Falken Ziex 512's for the win! I'm like an unofficial spokesperson for them but for the the price ($339 shipped with valve stems) they are amazing. Toyo Proxes4 have the edge on the performance(from what I hear), but cost a bit more. I've always heard Yokohamas are overpriced, but they are all good tires really.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can't comment on how good the Yokohama's are, but if you want to stick with the stock tire size, you will probably want to look at something else. The closest I see to the stock size are 225/45/17, but then again, maybe I'm missing something.

The Falken Ziex ZE-512 and the Toyo Proxy 4 are very popular, excellent performing, all season tires. Both available in the stock size and for less money than the Yokohama's.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have Bridgestone Potenza G009s. Decent in the snow, though not great. Nice water performance, and I'm very happy with the all-around performance in good conditions. MUCH better than the stocks, though that's not saying much.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have these tires myself, and lemme tell u, the threads on these tires are thick! Traction is superb, though i havent taken my car back to the snow, I have driven it 4 hours in the rain, and traction was good. These are my first tires after the stock michellins and I felt much more confident as the car had MUCH more confident as opposed to the michellins.

The only downside is that it is a heavier tire. 25lbs for 215/50/R17. and with the thick threads the ride is just tad bumpier. But, the thread life and traction make up for it..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses. They are helping me complete my research and decision. Please keep them coming.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have these exact tires, in that size even. I must say, they're great tires. But, they're a little scary in the snow, which surprises me because of how good they are in the rain. NO hydroplaning at all. They really hold up well, but I swapped back to my stock wheels/tires (16' steelies) and they were much better for snowy roads. It could be the lower profile, but I don't recommend you drive them in the snow. Every other season is great, ride is pretty good, grip is good. I've driven 'em 40k miles now and they're doing great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just put these on my 6 about a week ago. They are great so far! The ride is just as quiet as the Michelins. Driven in some rain and tested them out on the corners. From what I've heard, Yoko's are good tires.

For $111 per tire...they are def worth it. Good luck choosing a tire.

My vote is for the Yoko Avid V4s.... :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your input. I have made a decision. I will be going with the Yokohama AVID V4S.

Get them put on Friday. I went with a local shop since they were with-in about $10 total of the chain stores. From all I have researched these seem like a really well liked tire. Some sets of test data seem to show them not to be as good as I would like in the rain but user opinions seems to say they are really good anyway. Now that I am committed I will reply back after awhile with my opinion/experience.

·
Administrator
8,396 Posts
Glad to hear you decided.

I'd love to hear your comments after a few thousand miles, I'm seriously considering these for my 3-season replacements...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Glad to hear you decided.

I'd love to hear your comments after a few thousand miles, I'm seriously considering these for my 3-season replacements...
[/b]

I recommend them Mike. I am biased as of yet...only have 300 miles on them :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the Yokohama AVID V4S tires on now for about 2 weeks. And have a little over 1300 mi on the tires already.

Below are some observations of the tires the short while I have had them:
Compared to the nearly bald stock tires these Yokohama AVID V4S have some traction. I am very happy with their performance on my daily commute (mostly back country roads, the inter-state is always torn up). I am very happy with the ability to apply hard acceleration while turning and have these Yokohama's feel confidently griping the road the whole way thru. My worries over wet traction were put to rest with a day of heavy rain. For how I drive in the rain there won't be any problems. However, I would not feel confident pushing the limits on wet roads. The right front tire also survived a wicked pothole. Provided they hold up over their expected lifetime I will be staying with Yokohama AVID V4S next time.

·
Administrator
8,396 Posts
Cool.

Keep us updated as they wear. Unfortunately, my $$$ situation (or lack of it) is keeping me with the OEMs for a while longer, but I'm still leaning toward the Yokos...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Mz6GreyGhost
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing