Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the arguments about drilled / slotted rotors and I still want them. With that said where is the best place to buy stock replacement rotors?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I know the arguments about drilled / slotted rotors and I still want them. With that said where is the best place to buy stock replacement rotors?
[/b]
First, distinguish between slotted and drilled. Drilled rotors are silly; slotted rotors have serious adherents, but they will wear your pads down more quickly.

Second, for OEM rotors, check the site sponsors:

Showcase Pontiac Mazda GMC (in Arizona)

Rosenthal Mazda

Third, if you check around the 'Net, you should find alternatives and prices:

Centric rotors (pair): $72.95

Raybestos PG Plus rotors (pair): $97.96

Carbotech rotors (pair): $139.95 from Revolution Performance Motorsports (a site sponsor)

Rotora rotors (pair): $144.95 from the same site sponsor, RPM

Bendix rotors (pair): $168.88

Brembo solid blanks (pair): $220.00

DBA slotted (pair): 229.00 from Liteswap.com, another site sponsor

DBA solid (pair): $257.80

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I just received my order from RPM for new Hawk pads and Rotora rotors all the way around. I'll let you know how they work out once I get my car back and get them put on.

That box with the rotors in it is heavy as shit!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I was the test car for the brakes from r1concepts. I really like them. They are good quality. IIRC, they go for about $150 with shipping for the set of 4. They are not listed on their site, so you will have to call them, but they do make them.

http://r1concepts.com/

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was the test car for the brakes from r1concepts. I really like them. They are good quality. IIRC, they go for about $150 with shipping for the set of 4. They are not listed on their site, so you will have to call them, but they do make them.

http://r1concepts.com/
[/b]
How long have you been running them? Time and miles.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
How long have you been running them? Time and miles.
[/b]
1 month and about 1,000 miles. Using them with Hawk HPS pads. They REALLY bite hard.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 month and about 1,000 miles. Using them with Hawk HPS pads. They REALLY bite hard.
[/b]
Want to see something funny?

This is your guy's info

MAILING ADDRESS
R1 Concepts Inc.
5540 E. La Palma Ave.
Anaheim, Ca 92807
TEL: 714-777-2323

This is the guy's address that I posted:

Wholesale Direct Parts
3154 E. La Palma Unit: E
Anaheim, Ca 92806
Phone: (714) 666-8585

Hummm, must be brake city out there.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Apparently, those front (at least) rotors are Power Stop rotors.

You say you know the arguments about drilled/slotted rotors and still want them. If you know the arguments, you know that drilled rotors do not aid braking and can fail catastrophically. In practice, the drilled holes function in the same manner as the perforations in the roll of paper that hangs next to the throne in the smallest room in the house. (Exception: the rotors that are cast with the "drill" holes, but only two brake rotor manufacturers in the world -- Brembo and DBA -- cast any rotors with "drill holes" in them; every other drilled rotor starts off as a solid blank, which then is -- yes -- drilled; drilling takes mass away from the rotor, which reduces its cooling effectiveness, and, because the cast iron in rotors has a crystalline structure, can damage its structural integrity.)

As you could not want the drilled holes for function , I assume you want the appeaance of drilled rotors (like the nonfunctional fender portholes in 1940s and 1950s Buicks). Why don't you look at EBC rotors, then? The EBCs have dimples that look like drilled holes, without as many of the liabilities of drilling. EBC rotors are available from AJUSA (URL not provided because it is not a site sponsor).

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I got a front pair of "Satisfied" Ceramic Pro VS from (URL redacted)] for $35.99.

I have now 5000 miles on them and they have no squeal, work great, barely any dust.
[/b]
Satisfied, along with Raybestos and ACDelco and a few others, have taken the reassuring step of obtaining D3EA certification for at least some of their offerings. Although, when you put your foot on the pedal, the D3EA certification does nothing to stop you, it does give me some confidence that the product will perform as advertised. See Consumer Reports article on what to look for in a brake pad. TireRack also has good things to say about D3EA.

There is a really interesting thread here in which Dave Zenkhausen of Zenkhausen Racing participated, and another thread here in which Tim Kelsch of StopTech actively participated, and yet another thread here in which Rob Levinson of UUC Motorwerks paricipated, and yet another thread here in which a tech engineer for FMC Group Pty Ltd (manufacturer of the pads sold in North America under the Axxis and PBR brand names) participated. All of these guys were very forthcoming and minced no words about specific brands and models within brands of brake pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts